Abe Mitchell - Length on the Links & Down To Scratch

Re: Abe Mitchell - Length on the Links & Down To Scratch

Postby cretegolf » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:35 pm

cretegolf wrote:I have both of these books from 1933 & 1935 respectively. Both are fantastic. Down to Scratch is focused more on the right arm, Length on the Links is focused more on the left arm. From one book to the next, Abe seems to change his conclusions on just what is the most important element of hitting the ball with slice and with power.

So he was very much about resisting the weight of the club/backswing by trying to stay put with his leg muscles. Think of squeezing and holding the inside leg muscles. He also says to do the same thing with the forearms. So the clubface on the way back does not fan open but rather it holds its address position and this feels something like having the clubface constantly staring at the ball.

From this resistance, he says that there's a rebound/automatic effect on the way down. He gives the analogy of a spring on a door hinge, that slams shut after you pull it open.

As well, he talks about controlling trajectory by holding your muscles to a certain spot on the ball. Think of it like your eyes, along with your muscles, are staring/holding to a spot either behind (sand shot), on the back of (driver) or in front of the ball (iron shot where your low point ahead of the ball). It's a great way to control trajectory, to control flyer lies, and its correct application provides excellent control out of the sand.

I can't recommend his books enough, they really are fantastic old gems. This along with Percy Boomer's book from a decade later, appear to have formed Hogan's later mastery of the golf swing and Tour in the late 40's and early 50's, this of course is speculation but sound speculation after having read all 3 books.

Mitchell, along with legends like Bill Mehlhorn and Harvey Penick, all give a great feel/visual to strive for. The feeling is that both elbows always point down throughout the entirety of the swing. Penick in his 'little Red Book' said that this was the great Jimmy Demaret's swing thought when he shot a 60 at Austin Country Club back in the 30's!!

What should also be taken into consideration is the fact that Abe Mitchell endured hard labor for many years as a youth, wielding an Axe to cut down trees. The late great Bill Mehlhorn mentions this in his book 'Golf Secrets Exposed'. That may have given him a considerable strength advantage despite being such a slight man.
cretegolf

Postby Range Rat » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:16 am

IronOfZion wrote:Found these amazing books via the golfwrx forum and Mike Maves website. Abe is a British golfer who also won a couple of times on US soil and was known for his length. He was hitting it 310 yards with a hickory stick in the 30's...
He talks about keeping the right elbow close to the body :idea: and winding up the body muscles for speed, consistency and direction.
In short it's the combination of a stance (open feet, semi-open hips and square shoulders) and winding up the forearm muscles 'towards the target'.

I have pieced together a document containing the various pages of 'Length on the Links' and 'Down to Scratch'
I included all the pages I could find online but there still are some pages missing.
I don't know of any way to attach it to the post (.doc or .pdf extensions are not allowed) so if you are interested, please let me know and I'll email it.

P.S. If anybody has the real book, please feel free to scan in the pages and share them with us :!:

This on Persimmon Golf Today, pretty sure it's IOZ's site. Good reading, along with a blueberry muffin and coffee. :)
http://persimmongolftoday.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Mitchell-Abe-Down-to-Scratch.pdf
You're ahead of where you were, and behind where you're going.
Range Rat

Postby IronOfZion » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:44 am

Thanks RR but it is not my site,
It is good though and I feel flattered nonetheless....
IoZ
The path to enlightenment is paved with good intentions.
IronOfZion

Postby lagpressure » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:56 pm

abe.jpeg
abe.jpeg (116.2 KiB) Viewed 106 times
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby Stu Carlburger » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:13 pm

Great Stuff! Little known fact: Abe Mitchell is the model for the golfer who graces the top of the Ryder Cup Trophy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hknEBYGk6i0

What a cool golf swing!
Stu Carlburger

Previous

Return to Instructional Books