Any Book

Any Book

Postby eagle » Tue May 03, 2011 1:33 am

Not exactly sure where to put this...and I apologize if anyone thinks "this isn't golf related." Several posts containing book references have been percolating in my mind, and prompted this. For example...RR has related how at one phase in his life he read all the books at his public library. Bom has referenced James Joyce. Various other authors and books are mentioned almost daily.

It is said that Moe Norman was an voracious consumer of motivational books and tapes...and used them to help his golf.

Recently, on another thread, LCDV inquired about the book "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance." On the surface, one would argue it has nothing to do with golf, but I'll make a long story short and quote Lag....something like
It may be the best golf book I ever read.

I recently saw this quote by Robert Morgan in his review of "Dr. Zhivago", titled "The Wisest Book I Ever Read"...
Particular books affect us at particular times. Each of us finds our own literary canon. I found Doctor Zhivago at just the right time, for it showed me how fiction brings the world to our own eyes and breath, and connects us intensely with those so different, so distant, and yet so much like ourselves. I saw how much I had to learn, and, just as important, I saw how much I already knew without knowing it.

My thought....I have learned so much from the folks here.. and I want to learn more. Each of you has your own "literary canon" as Robert Morgan says....books that hit you squarely, became game changers for you. Here's a spot to share it ....submit a book, or books, or a list that you like. Tell why if you wish. Reading time is limited...so it needs to count for something. I think recommendations here would be a good resource for us all. And importantly, it might help our golf.... in a direct, or round about, way.

Marl Twain said it well...
A man who won't read has no advantage over a man who can't.
eagle

Re: Any Book

Postby IronOfZion » Tue May 03, 2011 2:02 am

Great idea for a thread! I really liked Robert Morgan's review of Dr Zhivago, thanks for sharing this eagle.

Besides Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, my pick would be 'Mastery', by George Leonard. Very ABS-que :!:
The path to enlightenment is paved with good intentions.
IronOfZion

Postby eagle » Wed May 04, 2011 2:18 am

Good To Great by Jim Collins. Here is a reply to jrich on another thread..

jrich99, you wrote:
I am really dedicated to my golf progress, and it means a lot to talk with people who have made it to where I want to go, especially those who weren't child prodigies.

LCDV wrote:
What I'm thinking for this thread is going about this in as Woodenesque a way as I can.

In Jim Collins' book, "Good To Great" he outlines how several companies make the transformation from poor to mediocre, to GREAT. There are some similar ABS and LCDV principles, and Collins even mentions LCDV's Coach John Wooden...
Many basketball fans know the Bruins won ten NCAA basketball championships in twelve years, at one point assembling a sixty-one game winning streak under legendary coach John Wooden.
But do you know how many years Wooden coached the Bruins before his first NCAA Championship? Fifteen. From 1948 to 1963, Wooden worked in relative obscurity before his first championship in 1964. Year by year, Coach Wooden built the underlying foundations, developing a recruiting system, implementing a consistent philosophy, refining the full-court press style of play. No one paid too much attention to the quiet, soft-spoken coach and his team until--wham!--they hit breakthrough and systematically crushed every serious competitor for more than a decade..
Like the Wooden dynasty, lasting transformations follow a general pattern of buildup followed by breaktrough.
....no matter how short or long it took, every good to great transformation followed the same basic pattern- accumulating momentum, turn by turn of the flywheel( one of Collins' basic metaphors)--until buildup transformed into breakthrough.

Some of the companies Collins uses have fallen by the wayside....so maybe there is another book to be written about sustaining greatness. But I think the message is clear...there is a path to making your transformation if you are a company, a team, or probably an individual. I bet you are on it.
eagle

Postby jrich99 » Wed May 04, 2011 2:00 pm

So many great non-golf books that are very applicable to golf out there.

in the "How to Shoot 65" I mentioned "The Talent Code" and "Talent is Overrated". Both these are great, and worth checking out if you haven't already.

I also find books from other sports to be interesting. For example, "The Science of Hitting" by the great Ted Williams has some ABS-type concepts in it that I will share when i get around to it. I have a bunch of notes on this book as well as some golf books I will try to post later tonight, but for now, I'm off to the bag and then the range! ;)
jrich99

Postby 1teebox » Wed May 18, 2011 9:26 am

The Art of Learning: A Journey in the Pursuit of Excellence

Range Rat gave me a tip to see the movie "Searching for Bobby Fischer" about the 9 year old National Chess Champion, Josh Waitzkin. Though I haven't seen the movie yet, Rat's tip fortunately led me to "The Art of Learning: A Journey in the Pursuit of Excellence", written by Josh after he not only achieved eight National Chess Championships but, thereafter, multiple martial arts National and World Championships. The surface disparity between chess and martial arts championships at the highest levels may disappear, as a vapor trail, when you read his book.

Robert Pirsig, author of "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" said: "This is a really superb book, one I wish someone had given to me long ago. The title is accurate - at a profound level, it's about real learning from hard conflict rather than from disinterested textbooks. It will take a ferocious interruption to make you set this book down."

Mr. Pirsig was right, the book could not be set down, until my fatigue blurred vision would not clear anymore. But after one nap, I finished it. I must return this book to the county library, but to have the book handy, I will buy a copy soon. Josh Waitzkin's book is an inspired and inspiring learning resource. I too wish it had been available long ago.
1teebox

Postby Range Rat » Wed May 18, 2011 10:59 am

I take too many naps, that's why I don't read!! :roll:

Now that you've read the book Teebox, in the movie there was one scene from several really that gets to the heart of not being ball bound. Josh, in the movie, was fixated on the board and the pieces on it. He was so focused on the things in front of him, he was missing the bigger picture: seeing while not seeing.

During that scene his instructor wiped the board clean..no pieces to see at all, only 64 blank squares. Josh had to see, and plan in his mind's eye what the SEQUENCE would be from that point forward.....and darn if he didn't use that same skill at the end of the movie to trash his opponent.

Cool stuff to me.....was that scene depicted in the book? :)
You're ahead of where you were, and behind where you're going.
Range Rat

Postby 1teebox » Wed May 18, 2011 12:25 pm

Range Rat wrote:I take too many naps, that's why I don't read!! :roll:

Now that you've read the book Teebox, in the movie there was one scene from several really that gets to the heart of not being ball bound. Josh, in the movie, was fixated on the board and the pieces on it. He was so focused on the things in front of him, he was missing the bigger picture: seeing while not seeing.

During that scene his instructor wiped the board clean..no pieces to see at all, only 64 blank squares. Josh had to see, and plan in his mind's eye what the SEQUENCE would be from that point forward.....and darn if he didn't use that same skill at the end of the movie to trash his opponent.

Cool stuff to me.....was that scene depicted in the book? :)

It seems to me Josh describes an element of this training for the end game, but in a less cinematic way, on page 12 of the "Innocent Moves" chapter of "The Art of Learning..." and elsewhere the match, and his father describes these in "Searching for Bobby..." Even though I know zip about chess and martial arts, the application of the books' for golfers and life are there to be gleaned. I'm itching to see the movie too.
1teebox

Postby Mashie72 » Wed May 18, 2011 1:39 pm

1teebox wrote:The Art of Learning: A Journey in the Pursuit of Excellence

Range Rat gave me a tip to see the movie "Searching for Bobby Fischer" about the 9 year old National Chess Champion, Josh Waitzkin. Though I haven't seen the movie yet, Rat's tip fortunately led me to "The Art of Learning: A Journey in the Pursuit of Excellence", written by Josh after he not only achieved eight National Chess Championships but, thereafter, multiple martial arts National and World Championships. The surface disparity between chess and martial arts championships at the highest levels may disappear, as a vapor trail, when you read his book.

If you're a chess nerd like myself, Josh's chess tutorials are very good if you buy Chessmaster's software package....Having said that I'm partial to the Fritz engine...
"The secret is on the deck"
Mashie72

Postby eagle » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:43 am

1Tee.
Good one.Thanks! Great book.
eagle

Postby 1teebox » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:29 am

That's good news eagle.
1teebox

Next