George Leonard - Mastery

George Leonard - Mastery

Postby norcalvol » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:11 pm

This isn't a golf book per se, but it is a book about learning how to master the golf swing, or any other endeavor for that matter.
To try and master anything isn't just a long and winding road, but it is a real test of the self --- it can be a direct and unvarnished look in the mirror, which isn't always a pretty picture.

Last week at my club, I played with a young man --- a fine player with a 0 hdcp --- and during an hour-long post-round conversation, it became apparent that he has a burning desire to improve even further.
Included in our conversation was my endeavor with ABS and the personal challenges that it presents. He, like Lag, was nothing other than positive in his comments to me. He also was a wealth of personal experiences that were relevant to the ABS program and the processes it comprises.

He also pointed me to several books, one of which is George Leonard's work called Mastery.

Here is a very brief synopsis.... it includes many of the same points that have been expressed by both Lag and Brad, here on this forum and elsewhere. I'm finding it helpful. You might, too.

Mastery is available to everyone - “Mastery isn’t reserved for the super talented or even for those who are fortunate enough to have gotten an early start. It’s available to anyone who is willing to get on the path and stay on it- regardless of age, sex, or previous experience.”

Magic pills are being sold everywhere - “The modern world can be viewed as a prodigious conspiracy against mastery. We’re continually bombarded with promises of immediate gratification, instant success, and fast, temporary relief, all of which lead in exactly the wrong direction.”

The plateau - “There’s a seemingly endless road ahead of you with numerous setbacks along the way and –most important- plenty of time on the plateau, where long hours of diligent practice gain you no apparent progress at all.”

Follow your passion - “To love the plateau is to love the eternal now, to enjoy the inevitable spurts of progress and the fruits of accomplishment, then serenely to accept the new plateau that waits just beyond them. To love the plateau is to love what is most essential and enduring in your life”

Practice - “How do you best move toward mastery? To put it simply, you practice diligently, but you practice primarily for the sake of practice itself.”

Find Joy in repetition - “Satisfaction lies in mindful repetition, the discovery of endless richness in subtle variations on familiar themes.”

Self sabotage - “Homeostasis, remember, doesn’t distinguish between what you would call change for the better and change for the worse. It resists all change.”

Choose your influences - “Bear in mind that an entire system has to change when any part of it changes so don’t be surprised if some of the people you love start covertly or overtly undermining your self-improvement. It’s not that they wish you harm is just homeostasis at work.”

Indecision - “Indecision leads to inaction, which leads to low energy, depression, despair.”

Failure is part of the process - “There will be moments on the path, no matter how skillful and well-balanced you might be, when you ‘ll be knocked out of center.”
Accelerate forever!
norcalvol

Re: George Leonard - Mastery

Postby Mashie72 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:10 pm

Sounds like my kinda book. Thanks for posting

Just wish there was a Kindle version
"The secret is on the deck"
Mashie72

Postby stevemcgee99 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:06 am

Thanks for posting this. You've set me off on a self-reflective course that seems more timely than I would have expected.
McGee
stevemcgee99

Postby LesMurray » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:21 pm

I just picked up this book and am looking forward to reading it.
LesMurray

Postby Ded2Journey » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:49 pm

Along the same lines...

Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience
by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

http://www.amazon.com/Flow-Psychology-Experience-Perennial-Classics/dp/0061339202
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Return to Instructional Books