Maximum Golf by John Schlee

Re: Maximum Golf by John Schlee

Postby aiguille » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:17 pm

Doing some research on Schlee and found this on the Manzella forum...

Schlee was an odd duck, but Hogan took a liking to him non-the-less. He said that the ultimate physical secret Hogan gave to him was what he refer to as The World Class Move: "On the downswing, your right elbow and right hand drop down onto a narrower tighter power plane. The sole objective is to allow you to bring to maximum level the loading of your right hand, right wrist, right arm and right shoulder as deep into the swing as possible. It requires relaxed supple wrists and a light grip pressure. As you reach the top, start the left knee and hip level left, you allow what feels like a reverse loop with your hands. This move is magnified by a pulling back and down with the thumb and index finger of the right hand. The hands and arms then come straight down and the right elbow dives onto the front of the right hip with the right palm facing the sky, putting you on your power plane. Hogan called this laying off the club."

"Hogan asked me to make a back turn, then hold it at the top. From behind, he put his hand on the club and pulled it straight down behind my back about six inches."

Take it for what it is worth.
PGA Professional, Authorized Instructor of TGM

Postby Range Rat » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:17 pm

Aiguille: That is really good, good stuff you found. Thanks much.

That super-slow motion of Hogan on Youtube clearly shows that laid off position...especially when the shaft is just above his waist on the downmove...the face of the club is nearly looking skyward and the shaft nearly horizontal to the ground...if my memory is correct.

The right palm facing the sky at that point of the motion would certainly appear to result with being laid-off---although the move from the top starts the process.

Great stuff....go have a glass of wine...well deserved :) RR
You're ahead of where you were, and behind where you're going.
Range Rat

Postby BomGolf222 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:15 pm

But Hogan was 5' 6" and suffered from the Mother of all snap hooks.... unless you've got these two things 'going for you' I'd proceed with caution with that swing thought....
Just my opinion...

Postby aiguille » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:26 am

Here are a couple of excerpts from Schlee's book, he places a huge emphasis on the setup, the turning press and the laying off of the shaft on to a flatter plane with a tighter and more concentric downswing arc.

I never tire of watching the Hogan slow motion video on the beach...

schlee.jpg (563.88 KiB) Viewed 7453 times

Postby lagpressure » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:20 pm

I agree with Bom... if you don't know what you are doing, then the drop the club behind you, open and laid off will cause you hooked and fat shots..

However.. if you really want to become a fantastic hitter of a golf ball, and you know what else needs to accompany that downswing load, then it would be an essential move.

While certainly Hogan was a firm body, hitter, the article clip here of Schlee would indicate a lot of swinging protocols, such as relax the body and so forth. This again is not incorrect if you are in fact "swinging"

I have not read Schlee's work, but on initial impression I would suggest that maybe Schlee was swingerizing Hogan's method to his own interpretation, and this may be why Hogan did not give his endorsement.

I did have a quick chat with Al Barkow about it today, and he said Hogan at one time was very unhappy with Schlee claiming to be peddling Hogan's methods as factual. He also said his work with Schlee was very brief.

However, Schlee was a fine player and I would think his insights would be a good read and certainly have credibility based upon his own accolades.
Site Admin

Return to Instructional Books