Lee Trevino's Groove Your Swing My Way

ABS BOOK REVIEW

Re: Lee Trevino's Groove Your Swing My Way

Postby stevemcgee99 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:23 am

I got the book from my sister-in-law for Christmas. Very excited.

Haven't read it yet (still going through 5 Lessons) but I looked at an illustration of a green with several approach shots drawn in, using just about every iron in the bag. I tried a couple of different shots and had good results. That's when I started looking at old putters from the 30's, thinking I'd rather have something that looks more like an iron. In my searches I found the 'chip roller' references here.

Had a conversation with a Scot who'd learned to play with a few clubs. He mentioned approaching a green with a long iron and rolling it on, "like Trevino". Made me smile.
McGee
stevemcgee99

Postby Ded2Journey » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:45 am

stevemcgee99 wrote:I got the book from my sister-in-law for Christmas. Very excited.

Haven't read it yet (still going through 5 Lessons) but I looked at an illustration of a green with several approach shots drawn in, using just about every iron in the bag. I tried a couple of different shots and had good results. That's when I started looking at old putters from the 30's, thinking I'd rather have something that looks more like an iron. In my searches I found the 'chip roller' references here.

Had a conversation with a Scot who'd learned to play with a few clubs. He mentioned approaching a green with a long iron and rolling it on, "like Trevino". Made me smile.

Great book! You're going to like it... Lag really summed it up well though. I think he pulled out all the nuggets necessary...
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby stevemcgee99 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:29 am

I'm sure Lag captured the nuggets.

At my state, which is just a beginner, I could use all the 'dust', too. ;)
McGee
stevemcgee99

Postby stevemcgee99 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:17 pm

Does anyone use a similar open stance?
McGee
stevemcgee99

Postby lagpressure » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:34 pm

Trevino's stance wasn't so open in relation to his body.. the whole thing was shifted left, yes, but only in relation to the target. With a back ball position, it gave him the option of changing his lowpoint... otherwise, his divots would be digging holes to China. This pushes his alignment out to the right.. or where his intended target would be. It basically forces a lot of good things to happen.. like flattening the shaft through transition, and loading up pressure into the right foot to help power the pivot through the strike.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby stevemcgee99 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:32 pm

I played with it a little on a back nine yesterday.

This weekend I'll try it out at a range. I want to compare a 5 Lessons set up to the Trevino set up. Testing things like that on the course gives me 'statistically insignificant' results... Small sample size and too many other errors complicating things ha ha.

One of the things I noticed, looking ahead, is the stuff on uphill and downhill lies - I could definitely use help with that.

I was confused, though. Seems like Trevino blames slicing on open faces vs. flight path. I thought that face angle was initial trajectory, and later hook or slice was a result of spin - coming from inside or outside.
McGee
stevemcgee99

Previous

Return to Lee Trevino Groove Your Swing My Way