Want to buy (or hire): Aberdeen, Scotland

A place for ABSer's to post their stuff, or buy from others before the EBay vultures swoop in!

Want to buy (or hire): Aberdeen, Scotland

Postby johnnyb3 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:19 am

Hi, Not sure I'm posting in the right place here, but I'll be in Aberdeen for the first half of 2018 and it's just not feasible to take my clubs with me. I'm looking to buy (really rent, as I'll give them back) a set of blade irons to use while I'm there. I'd be happy for recommendations for a shop to find such a thing as well, or just get in touch if you might want to meet up for a round (of golf or otherwise). I will have a car so could drive a bit to pick up.

Thanks for reading!

John
johnnyb3

Re: Want to buy (or hire): Aberdeen, Scotland

Postby Turfrider » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:08 pm

John,

I was in Scotland this past summer. I used a shipping service called Luggage Forward. A tad pricey, but it beat me having to carry clubs through the airport. I play with blades with ABS specs and persimmon so I knew the likelihood of finding something similar was very, very slim. It was also special to play with my own clubs on St. Andrews. My only other thought is to reach out to NRG on this forum. He is in England, does club work, and probably has something on hand in the vintage blade/ABS category. Of course shipping would still be involved.

One other recommendation. I found Golf in Scotland: A Travel-Planning Guide with 74 Great Courses by Allan McAllister Ferguson very helpful.
Turfrider

Postby johnnyb3 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:53 am

Turfrider wrote:John,

I was in Scotland this past summer. I used a shipping service called Luggage Forward. A tad pricey, but it beat me having to carry clubs through the airport. I play with blades with ABS specs and persimmon so I knew the likelihood of finding something similar was very, very slim. It was also special to play with my own clubs on St. Andrews. My only other thought is to reach out to NRG on this forum. He is in England, does club work, and probably has something on hand in the vintage blade/ABS category. Of course shipping would still be involved.

One other recommendation. I found Golf in Scotland: A Travel-Planning Guide with 74 Great Courses by Allan McAllister Ferguson very helpful.

Thank you for all that info! I was able to play the Old Course years ago with my persimmons and blades, on my honeymoon, on my birthday! Very special day.
johnnyb3

Postby Turfrider » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:31 am

One other possibility is to go through a company like golfgearhire.com There are several of these type companies in Scotland but all their offerings seem to be new or almost new clubs - meaning finding some true blades might be tough. I suppose if you called and emailed around you could find something. Then again, if you're renting for an extended period of time the cost may approach the cost of shipping.

Being in Aberdeen you will be a short drive from Cruden Bay. I did not get there but that is often rated one of the best places to play.

If you get a chance, take four or five days or week and head up to the highlands. Royal Dornoch is special and tough, but Brora is a real hidden gem. But Cruden may be better than both.

One other interior course that intrigued me, but I was not able to get to was Boat of Garten.

Last thought, the website golfnook.com is also very helpful. Lots of course reviews and eating and lodging recommendations.
Turfrider

Postby stevemcgee99 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:02 pm

How about buying a set from a Scottish ebay seller and delivering to where you're staying?
McGee
stevemcgee99

Return to Buy, Sell, Trade the good stuff!