Peter Senior Swing Review

Peter Senior Swing Review

Postby lagpressure » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:42 pm

As a favor to Ralph I did a little swing interrogation of Peter Senior. One of my all time favorite golf swings. Very misunderstood in popular golf circles. However, take a look and see what really makes it work. While this is not an interview per se, I'll post stuff like this in here and if Bradley and I do more of them, we'll at some point open another forum for swing reviews.

At Gotham Golf:
http://www.gothamgolfblog.com/2011/10/p ... ckson.html
lagpressure
Site Admin

Re: Peter Senior Swing Review

Postby TeddyIrons » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:07 pm

Excellent stuff. But Lag, you forgot to draw the lines! :D
As I was watching that, I wondered to myself why you'd never done this kind of thing before. 8-)
You must work very hard to become a natural golfer ~~ Gary Player
TeddyIrons

Postby lagpressure » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:34 pm

Who knows... maybe the beginning of a new era!

When I run out of things to do I'll look to do more of them.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby tim chapman » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:01 am

TeddyIrons wrote:Excellent stuff. But Lag, you forgot to draw the lines! :D
As I was watching that, I wondered to myself why you'd never done this kind of thing before. 8-)

thanks John & Ralph, very helpful & enjoyable to watch
i want to stand on our 1st tee thinking 68 if i play nicely & 74 is about as bad as it can get
tim chapman

Postby aiguille » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:44 am

Hugely instructive and thank you Lag, would love to see you do the same for Hogan, Knudson, Trevino and Gary Player.

Can you comment a bit more about how Senior exemplifies the level flat shoulder turn with a low left shoulder? He seems to want to stand up straight in a really vicious way post impact rather than go for a left sided crunch?
aiguille

Postby lagpressure » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:38 pm

Well,

You have to look back at where Peter has the clubface at P3. It's about as open as anyone ever. So to square that up, he uses a combination of module 1 and 3 in a big way. The quick torso move level and flat is the biggest contributor there, and it is a very powerful move... and does everything to keep the shaft right on plane through the impact arena so that compression is really straight on through the ball, and not any kind of glacing blow with any independent hand manipulation for a basically straight piercing golf shot.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby lbcyp » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:35 pm

Towards the end of the video you talked about how good his post impact pivot thrust was. Did you ever ask him about this. Do you know how he developed it? Was it something he worked on, or was it just the natural way he swung?
lbcyp

Postby lagpressure » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:05 am

Someone told me years ago that he spend a lot of time swinging in tall grass as a youth. Regardless if this is truth or not.. swinging in tall grass is an excellent way to develop a lot of the required proper muscular conditioning for striking a golf ball with a hitting action.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby Turfrider » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:11 pm

Peter senior wins the Australian Masters. You know, if it were not for ABS I would have never heard of him, but now I look at his swing with an idea to learn something. But here's the twist, in searching the web for more info about him I learn that since 1998 he has been working with Gary Edwin as his coach. Gary promotes and teaches what he calls a Right Sided Swing and you will see clips of Senior in their promo videos. To be honest, the RSS looks pretty stiff, strange even, it's pretty much all a hit with the hands and arms with very little to no pivot. I would have laughed off the swing because it looks so strange, but on further reflection it does bear resemblance to a mod 1 smack. If this is the kind of thing Senior has worked on it would seem to deemphasize strong mod 3 action.

I would be very interested if anyone could find info on what Peter Senior feels Gary has really helped him with. In his own mind, what does he do differently from his swing of the early 90's?

As well, I'd love to hear what Lag and Bradley might say about the RSS. Since Peter and Gary are both in Australia I figure Bradley, might have some firsthand info.

Here's a link

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Bv2SAPu08dw
Turfrider

Return to ABS Interviews