Sam Randolph with ABS/ US Amateur Champion/ PGA Tour Winner

Re: Sam Randolph with ABS/ US Amateur Champion/ PGA Tour Winner

Postby lagpressure » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:58 am

You're in good hands working with Sam. When Sam was playing his best, he hit a low bullet fade with his driver and used an Apex 5 shaft and Hogan PC blades. He typically played his irons right to left, and I think this kept his swing in a really tight balance fading the driver and drawing his irons. That's fairly unusual. He played some of the best golf I have ever witnessed by anyone from any era.

I think of Sam as a classic persimmon player. His swing was built around heavier gear and flat lie angles. I don't think his great swing would have evolved from lightweight frying pans.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby 1badbadger » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:04 pm

lagpressure wrote:You're in good hands working with Sam. When Sam was playing his best, he hit a low bullet fade with his driver and used an Apex 5 shaft and Hogan PC blades. He typically played his irons right to left, and I think this kept his swing in a really tight balance fading the driver and drawing his irons. That's fairly unusual. He played some of the best golf I have ever witnessed by anyone from any era.

I think of Sam as a classic persimmon player. His swing was built around heavier gear and flat lie angles. I don't think his great swing would have evolved from lightweight frying pans.

I never got to see him play in his prime, but every time I look at his amateur record to this day, my jaw drops open. It's as impressive as it gets. You know, that's a really good point...I know several other guys who are roughly the same age and grew up in the persimmon era who struggled to make the transition to modern equipment or from the wound ball to the solid core ball. Clark Dennis is one of those guys, and we were talking about it several years ago and he made an interesting comment that the oversize heads and new technology helps most guys, especially the marginal player who is on the fringe of being able to play for a living, and at the same time it actually hurt guys like him because in addition to more players fighting for available spots, their swings/game were a product of the old equipment like you mentioned, and areas of their game that were strengths were eliminated with the new equipment.

Anyway, good stuff. I'm enjoying looking through the forum...there are some knowledgeable people around here!
1badbadger

Postby Range Rat » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:24 am

sr1gi.jpg
sr1gi.jpg (42.45 KiB) Viewed 124 times

You're ahead of where you were, and behind where you're going.
Range Rat

Postby lagpressure » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:09 pm

Good stuff...
lagpressure
Site Admin

Previous

Return to ABS Interviews