Thoughts on Ben Hogan

Re: Thoughts on Ben Hogan

Postby k2baloo » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:55 am

lagpressure wrote:
Hogan played by feel, not off a yardage book, and it was fascinating watching him get ready. You'd see his eyes tracking up to the hole in what looked like 10-yard increments. You'd see him look at the tops of the trees for wind and watch where his cigarette smoke was blowing. Watching him was worth the wait

Lanny Watkins.

I'm not going to lie, I just got a rangefinder for Christmas and am excited to start using it. Took it to the winter range and was shocked how easy it is to use. It's the modern cheater gear I plan on using this year.

I do think it was interesting how the older generation developed their skill for judging distances, but not having correct yardages seems to hurt me a lot. I'm not great at judging distance and I'm a little sick of hitting the shots I want to but them be 10 yards long or short. Obviously, a rangefinder isn't going to fix all the issues, but I'm hoping it will help.

I also need to work a lot on partial wedge shots, and I'm thinking that knowing how far the shots are will help me to grow memories I can go back to. For example, if I hit one close from 75 I can remember that later when I have one from 82 and tell myself to hit it just a touch harder. That's the plan anyway.

It will be a vintage leather bag full of persimmons and blades, and a rangefinder clipped to the side... :D
k2baloo

Postby LesMurray » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:55 am

interesting commentary from Jackie Burke in a SITD video where he said that when he didn't know the yardage to the pin he would take a club he knew without a doubt he could fly the green, then drop two clubs.

Another factor that I've run into lately is that, with most of my play in SoCal, when I play in cold weather (40's and 50s) I find myself coming up at least a club short. Frustrating when you've got the ball on line to the flag and it ends up in the front fringe.
LesMurray

Hogan "Saturday Evening Post"

Postby lagpressure » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:10 am

http://advancedballstriking.com/Hogan_SEP.pdf

For those who have not read this before, I have re posted it for your consumption as a more readable PDF download.
Very insightful article with the SEP where Hogan talks a lot about his experience playing in and winning
the British Open.

I just love his perspective here, and how he explains why he was not a regular participant at The Open.
This is real golf folks, not like what the game has morphed into today. He talks about the courses over there being
cheap to play, how they only mowed the fairways once a month and the greens once a week... to keep the game affordable.
How the wind could be a 6 club difference, how he had to adapt to the small ball... ( I love the small ball as that added a diversity to the game over there). I love the story about how in the qualifier, there was no one on the tee to introduce the players and they had to wait for the woman in the shed to blow the horn so they could tee off. Very low key, and it was all about the golf, not all the hoopla and fanfare that goes on even today.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby apples2967 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:04 am

Still known as " Tiger " tees down under

I started at a time, we had the choice of the large or small ball. My boss insisted i use the "Big"ball as he was sure the small ball would soon be outed. He was correct.
apples2967

Postby lagpressure » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:47 pm

Ben_Hogan.jpg
Ben_Hogan.jpg (274.9 KiB) Viewed 1244 times
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby Range Rat » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:57 am

Here we have Ben Hogan either looking for a string bikini on the beaches of Corpus Christi, a marker buoy to use as a new caddie, or Daryl Hannah to reveal her luscious fin. But I suppose he could be sighting the horizon, but that would be too simple. :)
h4.jpg
h4.jpg (19.22 KiB) Viewed 1169 times
You're ahead of where you were, and behind where you're going.
Range Rat

Postby lagpressure » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:34 pm

hogan.jpg
hogan.jpg (129.81 KiB) Viewed 986 times

From the ABS Vault.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby Range Rat » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:10 am

lagpressure wrote:
hoganabs.jpg
hoganabs.jpg (129.81 KiB) Viewed 898 times

From the ABS Vault.

Nice picture Lag- Mr. Hogan going into the game.

LesMurray wrote:interesting commentary from Jackie Burke in a SITD video where he said that when he didn't know the yardage to the pin he would take a club he knew without a doubt he could fly the green, then drop two clubs.

Good gambler, old time, approach from Mr. Burke. It doesn't get much easier and makes so much sense when he talked about attacking a back pin. If a 5 iron clears the green, hit 7 iron- which puts you in the middle of the green- then a little run out from the middle of the green puts you in birdie range.
You're ahead of where you were, and behind where you're going.
Range Rat

Postby twomasters » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:18 am

Tom Stites- Hogans clubmaker talking about Hogans clubs

stitiesclubs.JPG
stitiesclubs.JPG (127.67 KiB) Viewed 523 times
twomasters

Postby norcalvol » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:16 pm

Driver head 145cc.... I was thinking that the typical persimmon driver head was about 180 to 190 cc based on my eyeballing my various persimmon drivers with an old metal driver for which I have a spec for its head size. Anybody know?
Accelerate forever!
norcalvol

PreviousNext

Return to Top Threads (2000 Club)