Thoughts on Ben Hogan

Re: Thoughts on Ben Hogan

Postby Range Rat » Tue May 08, 2018 12:22 pm

Ded2Journey wrote:RR,
Do you prefer to "feel" movements you're trying to make? Or to just trust that your leverage and pressures with take care of the movements all by themselves?

Gosh not sure. I think I watch them, like watching a movie play out in front and to the side of me. I don't necessarily do movements, but overall motions that have leverage and pressures inside- like the old motions create position argument. I do have wood-keys, and some other things I throw into the frying pan, but I just move the ball around in the sky the best I can. Let me briefly state my basic approach and you can decide between preference and trust.

What I do do that is different than others, and without going into deep detail as it's too complicated, is play with automated subconscious reactions. For instance, goat humping is an automatic subconscious level response to a stimulus, say perhaps too steep out of transition- it's automatic. So, I use that process to my advantage. For example, keeping the club head above and behind the hands out of transition can be easily accomplished by putting in more torso flexion than one had at address. It is almost impossible to cast and/or go steep IF torso flexion is increased, the subconscious will basically not allow it because it still wants to hit the ball.

I have a bunch of various platforms like that, along with others from Doyle's hitting on any part of a circle, to Norwood's claim the shaft does not move. Cheese deluxe.

Other than that, I don't have a clue actually. :lol:
You're ahead of where you were, and behind where you're going.
Range Rat

Postby Range Rat » Tue May 08, 2018 1:07 pm

@ 3:33 Hat showing straight left leg with bent knee, his thoughts on Hogan, along with the other video in the thread. :)

Range Rat

Postby lagpressure » Tue May 08, 2018 1:52 pm

I couldn't agree more with Gregg when he talks about today's "arm swingers" at 4:10.
I think Gregg is the premier teacher of a swinging method. I can't imagine anyone in the world
I would recommend more for that kind of approach to swinging a golf club.

From a hitter's perspective, I think there is value in learning how to swing because it can be very beneficial to helping a hitter
slot the club through transition. Both hitters and swingers can share a sameness through transition.

I know Gregg also likes heavy gear which can also share a commonality with hitters.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby Range Rat » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:27 pm

Interesting look at a 'rotated waggle': a waggle off to the side, but as square as one can get, of Sergio. I love associated motion relationships, I think they can speak loudly about cohesion and connections that shine a light on vapor trails. As ye waggle.... 8-)
sergwag.jpg
sergwag.jpg (81.82 KiB) Viewed 989 times
Range Rat

Postby Wknhacker » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:55 am

Hey guys. I came across this video yesterday from Christo Garcia's Youtube channel. He had two brothers on a guests. They are junior golfers who have studied the Ben Hogan swing.

The left handed one has perhaps one of the best Hogan type super slotting I've ever seen. If you go to the 6:28 mark of the video you'll see it in slow motion. Massive lay-off the the club in transition very similar to Hogan and Knudson. It will be interesting to see his development as he gets older. But he definitely looks a player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbW_bbVu_OM&t=565s

P.S. I can't seem to get the video to embed properly into the post. Perhaps someone else could.
"I have a tip that can take five strokes off anyone's golf game: it's called an eraser." - Arnold Palmer
Wknhacker

Postby k2baloo » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:29 am

Very nice golf swings. Impressive stuff.
k2baloo

Postby LesMurray » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:25 am

Wknhacker wrote:Hey guys. I came across this video yesterday from Christo Garcia's Youtube channel. He had two brothers on a guests. They are junior golfers who have studied the Ben Hogan swing.

The left handed one has perhaps one of the best Hogan type super slotting I've ever seen. If you go to the 6:28 mark of the video you'll see it in slow motion. Massive lay-off the the club in transition very similar to Hogan and Knudson. It will be interesting to see his development as he gets older. But he definitely looks a player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbW_bbVu_OM&t=565s

P.S. I can't seem to get the video to embed properly into the post. Perhaps someone else could.

Remove the &t= parameter.

LesMurray

Postby Range Rat » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:14 am

....and speaking about the secret is in the dirt, what do you guys think about this. :)

jib1.jpg
jib1.jpg (82.12 KiB) Viewed 337 times
Range Rat

Postby LesMurray » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:41 pm

Range Rat wrote:....and speaking about the secret is in the dirt, what do you guys think about this. :)

jib1.jpg

I don't recall circular and longitudinal muscles in my anatomy class. In ABS mod 2 I want to say we use the ground in an opposite manner to what is described in your quote. We compress and push off on the right leg to start transition, then squeeze the legs together through impact and post-impact to support rotation.
LesMurray

Postby Range Rat » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:03 pm

I don't recall much biology either Les, but pretty sure some muscle groups are spiral-like, somewhat circular wrapping around the body, but not sure. The quote is actually literary license from me. Here's the actual quote that I changed around a little, for instance spikes for setae, which are like spikes- BTW the green wavy line is a grammar check feature I didn't know how to get rid of- I was hoping folks didn't think I was underscoring those parts for emphasis.

jib2.jpg
jib2.jpg (93.58 KiB) Viewed 235 times

It's about earthworm movement, and if you search any sentence of the passage it should direct to the page I grabbed it from. I was hitting balls not too long ago and a little worm came crawling out of the ground right near the ball, so I watched it, and one thing led to another, as always. :lol:

Pretty fascinating stuff if you ask me about feet, weight transference, anchoring, and body compression against the anchors, especially comparing Hogan's swing in the early 50's- for example, the stretching upward on the back-move and getting thinner and longer relative to the ground with a lot of weight going to the front foot precedes the forward lean, or the longitudinal dimension compressing him, making him shorter and fatter, just like a worm- a secret in the dirt.

Range Rat

PreviousNext

Return to Top Threads (2000 Club)