The Nautilus, the Golf Swing, Golden Ratio, Fibonacci seque

Re: The Nautilus, the Golf Swing, Golden Ratio, Fibonacci seque

Postby hawg1 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:27 pm

Calling it a shoulder turn, or misunderstanding it to be just because that's what it looks like, is what gets people in trouble in golf.

E-X-A-C-T-L-Y.

Obviously we must defer to the professional teachers who read and maintain this forum, but your quote above is pretty much the truest statement ever in golf. Well maybe "he might not PLAY to his hadicap, but he most certainly will PAY to his handicap" might be a bit truer. But not much.

As for the inadvertant thread hijack, it does look I kinda missed your point. Mea Culpa.

Regards,
hawg1
hawg1

Postby BomGolf222 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:54 am

Hawg1,
I am a pro, though I'm not an ABS pro... that's not to say that I have all the answers, but I do enjoy looking for them. It's cool to have these 'non golf' athletic conversations with people who have experience in the different fields, so it's great to hear your thoughts. I'd love to hear more about the extra pop or heavy pitches that came your way- you mentioned it in another thread somewhere. Do you have any thoughts on why some pitchers may have been able to do that even though the numbers didn't suggest it? Did anything stand out to you that wasn't in the 'numbers'?
Cheers,
BOM
BomGolf222

Postby eagle » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:48 am

1tee said:
Are the Golden Spiral, Golden Rectangle, Golden Ratio, Phi, and the Fibonacci sequence, any of these, possibly useful in helping us conceive and develop our hitting or swinging technique?

Here's a quote from Longwave Dynamics, to illustrate the use of fibonacci ratios in stock market technical analysis:
https://longwavedynamics.com/

It has long been known by traders and students of technical analysis and trading that Fibonacci ratios in the price movements of major markets provide resistance, support and turning points in cycles for Fibonacci trading systems. That Fibonacci ratios represent the “degrees of freedom” in cycle “fields” in both price and regular time cycles in a new concept. This opens up a new and valuable approach for Fibonacci traders and Fibonacci technical analysis trading techniques.

The golden ratio, the most important Fibonacci ratio, which can be 61.8% or 1.618, is a power force in markets in price and time and in the development of many natural phenomena. Cycles are fields of human action in space and time. They are the natural growth phenomenon of social human development, which can be observed and tracked on major market index price action over time.

If these ratios show up over and over in nature, and even in movements of price and time in financial markets, my thought is, yes, these ratios can and do somehow apply to the golfswing.
eagle

Postby 1teebox » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:40 am

Say hey baseball/golf fans:

Baseball pitching and similarities to the golf swing has recently been launched by hawg1 as a new ABS topic:
"Cross pollination 'tween golf and baseball" in the Public Forum.

Check it out here:
http://www.advancedballstriking.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1429&p=16828#p16806
1teebox

Postby BomGolf222 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:25 am

eagle wrote:1tee said:
Are the Golden Spiral, Golden Rectangle, Golden Ratio, Phi, and the Fibonacci sequence, any of these, possibly useful in helping us conceive and develop our hitting or swinging technique?

Here's a quote from Longwave Dynamics, to illustrate the use of fibonacci ratios in stock market technical analysis:
https://longwavedynamics.com/

It has long been known by traders and students of technical analysis and trading that Fibonacci ratios in the price movements of major markets provide resistance, support and turning points in cycles for Fibonacci trading systems. That Fibonacci ratios represent the “degrees of freedom” in cycle “fields” in both price and regular time cycles in a new concept. This opens up a new and valuable approach for Fibonacci traders and Fibonacci technical analysis trading techniques.

The golden ratio, the most important Fibonacci ratio, which can be 61.8% or 1.618, is a power force in markets in price and time and in the development of many natural phenomena. Cycles are fields of human action in space and time. They are the natural growth phenomenon of social human development, which can be observed and tracked on major market index price action over time.

If these ratios show up over and over in nature, and even in movements of price and time in financial markets, my thought is, yes, these ratios can and do somehow apply to the golfswing.

Fascinating. And yet humans still think we're special and somehow detached from nature. :oops:
BomGolf222

Postby lagpressure » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:32 pm

Were there any discussions about such concepts in "Golf in the Kingdom"?
It's been 20 years since I read the book, but I would imagine some references might be in there.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby 1teebox » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:16 am

lagpressure wrote:Were there any discussions about such concepts in "Golf in the Kingdom"?
It's been 20 years since I read the book, but I would imagine some references might be in there.

There were two books by Michael Murphy I read over a decade ago. The other one is "The Kingdom of Shivas Irons". I'll re-read them from the perspective of the first Nautilus post and ABS.

My hunch is you are onto something, but my memory is precariously thin now about these two books except that they were mind stretching, provocative fun. It will be good reading them again.
1teebox

Postby Range Rat » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:17 am

Teebox: Thanks for doing a re-read for the forum's benefit......I only remember a few things from it: something about when Shivas was hitting balls over a steep ravine into the deep darkness, there was some mention of his midsection. Also how the printed word captured the native dialect: "yooz yer play club knew"....which was a way of saying "Use your play club now"....something like that.

Looking forward to what you may find. :) RR
You're ahead of where you were, and behind where you're going.
Range Rat

Postby 1teebox » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:01 am

RR,

I have a strong hunch there are readers here who can weigh in on this and I hope they will.

In the meantime, I will get into the reading.

Whatever I may come up with to post here, no matter how hard I try, it will reveal too little of the wonder, fun, and wisdom in those imaginative books.
1teebox

Postby lagpressure » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:11 am

I'll ask John Allen about it. He mentioned being involved in the "Extraordinary Golf" series also. I saw his name credited in one of the books last night.
lagpressure
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Top Threads (2000 Club)