The Nautilus, the Golf Swing, Golden Ratio, Fibonacci seque

Re: The Nautilus, the Golf Swing, Golden Ratio, Fibonacci seque

Postby 1teebox » Sat May 21, 2016 8:50 pm

Your thoughts are good food for thought RR and D2. I was puzzled about the subject and lack adequate experience to work it out. It'll take some time for your clues to soak into my hollow gourd.

Not quite sure how the following fits but the topic reminds me there's a story somewhere that Mike Austin put a tungsten rod behind the face insert of a persimmon driver to attain extra ball speed, but I never saw any specifications to replicate what he talked about. I believe this was to hit balata balls. Does anyone have any information about that story, someone who talked with Mike Austin or with someone who has the facts/specifications from him about the tungsten insert? Seems like it might require some backweighting to keep the swingweight from getting extreme. Just curious; club making and modification is beyond my pay grade.
1teebox

Postby Ded2Journey » Sun May 22, 2016 4:12 am

There are many stories of Hogan's driver that was given to him by Byron Nelson. Apparently is was stupid heavy--SITD posted a video with Rocco hitting one of Hogan's drivers (got a little pissed off about his arrogance in the video) but he didn't mention weight, just the 2 degree closed face. My guess is that it wasn't Hogan's gamer...

I have experimented heavily with counterweighting and adding lead tape to clubs and must say I could see a small tungsten insert in a persimmon having great benefit. It would probably keep the balata on the face a smidge longer, and if your face is stable through impact and accelerating--that could ONLY benefit you. This is of course is only if your swing speed doesn't slow down with the additional weight. It's a balance for sure, but Austin was a beefy man...very tall too.

Of Note: 2 years ago Callaway came out with the Gravity core insert. I felt they were very close to improving modern technology at that time--but most people couldn't hit it straight. I believe it was tungsten...don't quote me on that.
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby Range Rat » Tue May 24, 2016 4:52 am

Interesting about the 2* closed face- most persimmons were probably 2* open as a standard production IIRC. I wonder by how much that might influence the gear effect reversing action if Mr. Hogan took a page from Mr. Demaret's and Mr. Burke's book of teeing it low and smacking the heel. :)
You're ahead of where you were, and behind where you're going.
Range Rat

Postby stevemcgee99 » Tue May 24, 2016 4:36 pm

I do that by accident and get a 6-10 foot high draw that almost hits trees on the left before landing in the middle. In the summer it rolls right off the fairway.
McGee
stevemcgee99

Postby Ded2Journey » Wed May 25, 2016 5:14 pm

Here it is...didn't re-watch it, but I'm pretty sure they talk about the setup. Any who...enjoy!
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby 1teebox » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:57 am

I'd like to see a pro in command of persimmon compete for a season against pros using high tech at a course somewhere with penal rough and trees. Yeah, that's a stupid fantasy, but I'd watch.
1teebox

Postby 1teebox » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:19 am

If it happens that we wonder about spirals in golf swings and beyond, here's a fresh twist in the mystery:

“How human cells are like neutron stars” : https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/11/161101152352.htm

1teebox

Postby 1teebox » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:12 pm

Deep gratitude to all veterans who have dedicated, and to those who now dedicate, their lives in defense of our liberty and our Constitution for all our people and our posterity.

1teebox

Postby Range Rat » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:53 am

1teebox wrote:...

Deep gratitude to all veterans who have dedicated, and to those who now dedicate, their lives in defense of our liberty and our Constitution for all our people and our posterity.

8-)
You're ahead of where you were, and behind where you're going.
Range Rat

Postby LesMurray » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:48 am

1teebox wrote:...

Went to a college reunion a couple months ago and to catch up with classmates I hadn't seen in a while. Some of my classmates are continuing to reach new heights and levels of service included many general officers (one leading a division into combat right now) and to hear of many who did make the ultimate sacrifice on the battlefield. I got off pretty easy not having to face bullets in combat and am glad to have served my country. Thanks all for your kind comments and I think I can speak for many when I say we appreciate your support and we did, or do, the job not for your support but because we are called to serve the country. As long as we can continue to have young people willing to answer this call to service we will continue to be a great country.
LesMurray

PreviousNext

Return to Top Threads (2000 Club)