Feelings

Re: Feelings

Postby IronOfZion » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:05 am

I wonder if Hogan is revealing his 'through impact' feelings/intentions to us here, with this right hand move...
When accompanied by an opposing left hand/forearm move, this could be similar to RR's breaking the twig analogy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWLLPKiSMRk#t=1m26s
The path to enlightenment is paved with good intentions.
IronOfZion

Postby BomGolf222 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:21 am

I've been swimming a lot over the last few months in rehabbing my neck/shoulder, and it's been a pretty cool learning experience. The breast stroke is a great counter action to the golf posture and I've found some great relief and strength from working out and away from my chest area.
The reason I bring it up is because I've been playing around with various resistance exercises in the water to try to work the different muscles without overloading with weights etc. I figured out a cool one that speaks to the opposing forces in the golf swing, and really lets you see how the lower half works against the upper half.
It's pretty simple, just get into the water to about mid to upper chest and set your upper arms at your sides and the lower arms perpendicular to your body/90 degrees to the upper arms, with palms facing- kind of like you'd imitate a robot. Flex down slightly until you're resembling a golf posture and then just move your torso/hands back and through slowly and then pick up speed. You'll probably raise onto the fronts of your feet as you increase acceleration, and as you really try to fire hard around you'll notice that your feet actually skid down and away in the opposite direction. As you accelerate to the left your right foot skids back behind you, and vice versa. It's a cool eye opener but also a good core strength/coordination exercise. Imagine you're trying to make side to side waves coming out of your hands and traveling down the length of the pool to really get into a rhythm/groove.
BomGolf222

Postby CaptainChaos » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:50 pm

Sorry...with the subject line...I thought this was a discussion of Barry Manilo songs. ;)
CaptainChaos

Postby 1teebox » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:57 pm

BomGolf222 wrote:I've been swimming a lot over the last few months in rehabbing my neck/shoulder, and it's been a pretty cool learning experience. The breast stroke is a great counter action to the golf posture and I've found some great relief and strength from working out and away from my chest area.
The reason I bring it up is because I've been playing around with various resistance exercises in the water to try to work the different muscles without overloading with weights etc. I figured out a cool one that speaks to the opposing forces in the golf swing, and really lets you see how the lower half works against the upper half.
It's pretty simple, just get into the water to about mid to upper chest and set your upper arms at your sides and the lower arms perpendicular to your body/90 degrees to the upper arms, with palms facing- kind of like you'd imitate a robot. Flex down slightly until you're resembling a golf posture and then just move your torso/hands back and through slowly and then pick up speed. You'll probably raise onto the fronts of your feet as you increase acceleration, and as you really try to fire hard around you'll notice that your feet actually skid down and away in the opposite direction. As you accelerate to the left your right foot skids back behind you, and vice versa. It's a cool eye opener but also a good core strength/coordination exercise. Imagine you're trying to make side to side waves coming out of your hands and traveling down the length of the pool to really get into a rhythm/groove.

Bom,
The imagery of your pool exercize quickly helped me regain a refreshed sense of how the ground, ankles, lower legs, knees, thighs, and hips balance the effort occuring in the upper body. I have been struggling to orchestrate my lower and upper body swing effort, but your "outside the box" thinking bailed me out. Big Thanks. :D
1teebox

Postby Range Rat » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:36 pm

I just can't get over how important opposing forces are. On the surface it seems like a deluded concept from the galatic beyond when compared to other teachings and methodologies. Yet it's application is so critical it stands on it's own stellar beam of light.

Playing around with some opposed forces that are just mind boggling to me. Did one today which was a combination of EXTENDING Lag's feeling of bowling with the R hand....and Mickelson's over the shoulder shot where the ball goes backwards towards his trail foot. It occurred to me that MAYBE if the intention was, at the time of firing, to propel the ball backward with the hands, while using the pivot to propel the ball forward that those two combined actions would cancel each other out and keep the shaft load on plane.

Guess what...they did! Even better yet...with full loft and straight as it gets. Gosh...this stuff is goofy and brilliant at the same time...hey that's opposed too. :lol: RR
You're ahead of where you were, and behind where you're going.
Range Rat

Postby kafka01 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:57 am

Since this is a thread about Feelings - does any of you ever have the feeling of "leading the hosel into the ball" - doesnt matter if its a chip or a full swing. Sometimes when my sweetspot is a bit off, i just think of that - and voila. Anybody "shares my feelings"?
kafka01

Postby BomGolf222 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:38 am

kafka01 wrote:Since this is a thread about Feelings - does any of you ever have the feeling of "leading the hosel into the ball" - doesnt matter if its a chip or a full swing. Sometimes when my sweetspot is a bit off, i just think of that - and voila. Anybody "shares my feelings"?

Ben Hogan would be proud of you assuming you're talking about the back of the hosel with the bounce down and not the front of it with the leading edge down.
BomGolf222

Postby kafka01 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:52 pm

Ben Hogan would be proud of you

I guess thats not gonna happen - i know what a hosel, bounce, leading and trailing edges are, but after reading that statement over and over again, i just can´t "translate" it. But when doing it, i cant really feel back or front but i feel the hosel. And of course you would think, oh boy, here comes the 45° rocket, but it almost never happens.....
kafka01

Postby BomGolf222 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:59 am

i just can´t "translate" it.

Looking down from address the face comes out of the hosel at say, 12 o'clock, so 6 o'clock would be the back of it, and 9 o'clock would be the front of it- they're just names for reference, they don't actually make sense since the back can't really be a quarter turn from the front :) but you get my drift...
Hogan talked about leading with the back of it which would have the bounce down and the face open if you can picture that(though I don't like the term 'open' in that situation as it freaks people out- in my view it's not really open, it's actually neutral and where it needs to be to be used correctly) If you were to lead with the front, the leading edge would be down with the bounce up and the face prematurely closed in relation to the overall motion and it would be unable to be used correctly.
By the sounds of it your feeling is the right one.
BomGolf222

Postby kafka01 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:48 am

Thanks for the clarification BomGolf. I´m still not 100 % sure that i understand what causes the premature closure of the clubface when leading with the front.

Where does Ben Hogan talk about these things? Is it in this book: Ben Hogan: An American Life by James Dodson or in another?
kafka01

PreviousNext

Return to Top Threads (2000 Club)