Steel Spikes

Re: Steel Spikes

Postby stevemcgee99 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:34 pm

I could have gotten away with wearing spikes on two great courses in the last two days, but glad I didn't because BOTH involved very long walks on paved paths between holes.

What's up with course layouts so spread apart? I understand the housing agenda, but one course had no houses and was not designed for that. Just ridiculous hikes.

Otherwise, there was nobody at all out on those courses. Any 'spike hole' would have filled with rain and been fine.

One thing I noticed from last time in that, because I don't have large lumps all over the bottom of my soles, there's no denting to the putting surface. Soft, soggy greens didn't get all marked up.
McGee
stevemcgee99

Postby Wknhacker » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:47 am

This summer I've been playing with this pair of Nike Lunar Control Vapor spikeless shoe. They have spikes as you can see but they are not removable.

Rory McIlroy has been using these on tour for the past 2 years. Previously he used metal spikes in his shoes. These are by far the closest to the feel and traction of metal spikes (though not quite there). The spikes are made from hard plastic (you can hear the crunching sound as you walk on the pavement) and designed like shark tooth. They really do grip well into the ground/turf on both wet and dry surfaces. And they are incredibly comfortable especially if you like to walk the course like I do. I'm planning on buying another pair but in a different colour. They are that good.

"I have a tip that can take five strokes off anyone's golf game: it's called an eraser." - Arnold Palmer
Wknhacker

Postby Gabriel_Knight » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:58 am

Wknhacker wrote:This summer I've been playing with this pair of Nike Lunar Control Vapor spikeless shoe. They have spikes as you can see but they are not removable.

Rory McIlroy has been using these on tour for the past 2 years. Previously he used metal spikes in his shoes. These are by far the closest to the feel and traction of metal spikes (though not quite there). The spikes are made from hard plastic (you can hear the crunching sound as you walk on the pavement) and designed like shark tooth. They really do grip well into the ground/turf on both wet and dry surfaces. And they are incredibly comfortable especially if you like to walk the course like I do. I'm planning on buying another pair but in a different colour. They are that good.

I agree that these shoes are fantastic, I played with them today and now I am also thinking of buying one more pair 8-)
Gabriel_Knight

Postby LesMurray » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:35 am

Got these in the mail along with my repaired FootJoy Classics

LesMurray

Postby Ded2Journey » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:48 pm

I played metal spikes a couple of times last year. There was a world of difference...I'm sure you'll enjoy them tremendously.
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby ballturf » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:43 pm

Hey Les, Where did you get your shoes repaired at? also please post a picture of your footjoys

Thanks
Ballturf
The only way to permanently learn a motor skill is thru REPETITION !
ballturf

Postby LesMurray » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:16 am

Here ya go John.

Got the shoes off Ebay and after one use the soles about disintegrated. So I sent them off to LaRossa Shoe Repair in Massachusetts. They are a big FootJoy repair store. I sent them two pairs.

LesMurray

Postby lagpressure » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:47 am

Sharp looking pair there!

It will always be bizarre to me that nearly all golf courses have banned wearing proper golf shoes that are also legal with the USGA which most courses agree to their rules etc. Could it be weirder?

Nevertheless, you can always seek out a grass range and practice with them there to get the proper feeling of what good shoes can "allow" regarding weight transfer and pressures that accumulate and release in the foot action of the golf swing.

I see the modern upright swings as a direct result due to the changes in golf shoes.

With a flat swing, there is much more torquing going on in the feet than a swing that is more "up and down" in nature.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby Wknhacker » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:28 am

U.S Open winner Gary Woodland installed steel spikes in his shoes on Sunday after a bad slip on a tee shot on Saturday. Interestingly, Paul Azinger on commentary said that in his day he wore nails under his shoes and couldn't understand why anyone would jeopardize winning a major tournament by not wearing metal spikes given how soggy and wet the course was. I guess Woodland heard Azinger's comments. And of course a big congrats to Gary on his first major title.

https://usatgolfweek.files.wordpress.com/2019/06/usatsi_12890272.jpg?w=1000&h=667
"I have a tip that can take five strokes off anyone's golf game: it's called an eraser." - Arnold Palmer
Wknhacker

Postby Range Rat » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:28 pm

Just when you think you've seen it all. WTF is this stuff!!! Not sure if puking, or crying, is called for- maybe sadly weird. :lol:

You're ahead of where you were, and behind where you're going.
Range Rat

PreviousNext

Return to Top Threads (2000 Club)