Steel Spikes

Re: Steel Spikes

Postby lagpressure » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:51 pm

Just curious,
Is there any other sport where you can't wear the shoes or footwear at 99% of the courts, fields or venues that's officially approved by it's own governing body?

Is that insane or am I being to critical?
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby Wknhacker » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:57 am

stevemcgee99 wrote:Would love to know where that muni was. I want to wear metal spikes!

I figure there's a number of places where I could get away with it.

It's in Toronto, Canada.

On another note, there are quite a few pros that still use metal spikes. At the RBC Canadian Open I recall seeing Ryan Palmer, Johnny Vegas, and a few others with metal spikes in their shoes especially during the morning when there was a lot of dew on the course.
"I have a tip that can take five strokes off anyone's golf game: it's called an eraser." - Arnold Palmer
Wknhacker

Postby LesMurray » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:45 am

Just got these off eBay - Tour Classics

I immediately upgraded them with new Stinger spikes:

I'll give these a go tonight at the range and then see if I can play them tomorrow at Elkins Ranch.
LesMurray

Postby lagpressure » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:59 am

Elkins Ranch!

That is the first course I shot in the 60's on!
I was 13 years old, freshman in high school. We had a qualifying match for a tournament.
I was just having the career round of my life. I even holed out a 6 iron for eagle on one of the mid range par 4's on the back nine...
13 or 14?

I was so nervous I bogeyed the last hole and shot 68.

The bad thing about it was that even shooting 68, the coach didn't put me on the team that week..... however... our team was super talented.
We won the state championship that year. We were the best high school team in all of California. All six of the starting players went on to get college golf scholarships. BYU, USC, UCLA, FSU, Pretty amazing for a high school golf team.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby LesMurray » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:06 pm

Word of warning when buying used Foot Joys online.

I bought two pairs of those FJ Classic Tour shoes. They come with these rubber soles that have at this point rotted out. I played the pair pictured three times and the soles literally started to fall apart. A second pair I purchased I took to the range once and they too exhibited the same symptoms of the soles falling apart.

Now, all is not lost as I found someone who can repair the soles - LaRossa Shoe Repair in Weymouth, MA http://www.larossashoerepair.com/footjoy-customers/. Even better, he says he can replace the rubber Opti-Flex sole with a leather and rubber version of older models. Not cheap. I could have purchased NOS unused shoes for about the same price. Sent them off today to be repaired. I will report back when I receive them.

Moral of the story - stick with leather-soled shoes or at least buy at a significant discount and then send them to LaRossa.
LesMurray

Postby nfbandon » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:08 am

Les,

You can get these for a great price. Sometimes they will drop them to $79. These eccos have a lot of stability, and you could put stingers on if you want to but they really grab the ground.

https://golfanything.com/products/ecco- ... 7467923476
nfbandon

Postby stevemcgee99 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:34 pm

I've bought several pairs of Footjoys, Dexter and a Johnston & Murphy. All have leather soles and are excellent. I wear the heck out of them, always walk the course, hills (Lincoln Park, Tilden Park, etc.) and they hold up. When they're soaking wet it hurts the liners, and sometimes they dry out and the edges crack. But I pay $50 or less.

Getting the right size has been the hardest. Lasts are always different.
McGee
stevemcgee99

Postby stevemcgee99 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:38 pm

If you can get into facebook, here's the effect of metal spikes on my Dexters have.

https://www.facebook.com/steven.d.mcgee/videos/a.10157156291668976.1073741879.715343975/10157196228788976/?type=3&theater
McGee
stevemcgee99

Postby k2baloo » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:30 pm

Bought a pair of new Footjoy Originals. Seem to have a good balance between support and comfort. I've thought about buying vintage shoes, but I'm not a fan of buying shoes online. Has to be in person so I'm comfortable with the fit and feel.
Have metal champ stingers I can put in them, but it's useless as no course with allow them anyway.
k2baloo

Postby Wknhacker » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:09 am

k2baloo wrote:Have metal champ stingers I can put in them, but it's useless as no course with allow them anyway.

I use the metal spikes in my Tiger Woods Nikes for range practice.

If I decide to wear the Nikes on the course I usually call the course/proshop and ask if they allow metal spikes and when they reply "No!" I just switch them out for Softspikes Black Widows. :D
"I have a tip that can take five strokes off anyone's golf game: it's called an eraser." - Arnold Palmer
Wknhacker

PreviousNext

Return to Top Threads (2000 Club)