Super Slotting the Golf Club

Re: Super Slotting the Golf Club

Postby nfbandon » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:52 am

Chris,

It looks like you have added some acceleration to your swing. Looks really good.
nfbandon

Postby chris_golf » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:58 am

nfbandon wrote:Chris,

It looks like you have added some acceleration to your swing. Looks really good.

Thank you for the kind words,

I hit my Irons with more zip - but I have to master this move this winter.
I need a different setup and a little counterfall, so my left shoulder is a little
closer at impact (1-2 inch) to the target. Maybe more moving componets, but Ifeel it is an upgrade
to my swing...
1 inch Chris.jpg
1 inch Chris.jpg (31.67 KiB) Viewed 5835 times

Chris
"a good golf swing makes good positions rather than good positions make a good golf swing"
chris_golf

Postby lagpressure » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:46 am

MacOGrady.gif
MacOGrady.gif (195.9 KiB) Viewed 5348 times

This clip of Mac through transition is not necessarily typical of how he would swing the club.. but I suspect at one time he was working on "superslotting" the club through transition. It shows Mac had an understanding of this and entertained it at one time. I know this is older footage. I find it compelling that he knew how to do this. Most TGM and MORAD guys I have seen have been grounded in the "keep the shaft on plane all the time" camp... which I don't believe to be ideal.

What is fairly unique here is that he has always taken the inside path going back which requires a different action at the top and through transition to properly slot the club, or in this case superslot the shaft into the flatter plane.

Mac_OGrady_Backswing.gif
Mac_OGrady_Backswing.gif (520.54 KiB) Viewed 5331 times

Usually we see the more outside takeaway that uses a bit of the momentum of that orbit to aid in slotting the club. Here at ABS we have several drills that teach and train a student to do this.

It's a difficult move to master, but not impossible, and the reward for doing so is substantial once a player gets it into their DNA. OTT becomes a thing of the past, and it creates the most range of motion for the forearm rotation to engage fully. Divots get shallowed out and contact becomes much more consistent.

It's not an accident that most of the great ball strikers laid off the shaft in transition significantly. When the shaft works more at right angles to the spine on the downswing (DTL view)... the torso can then turn flat or level without OTT being in the picture. It's a more powerful move and when post impact protocols are in place through P4, it also becomes a much more accurate way of striking the ball.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby lagpressure » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:04 pm

Mac_OGrady_Backswing.gif
Mac_OGrady_Backswing.gif (520.54 KiB) Viewed 5334 times
MacOGrady.gif
MacOGrady.gif (195.9 KiB) Viewed 5336 times
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby lagpressure » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:46 pm

Knudson comes to mind as another great striker who took the inside route going back, but then still slotted the club through transition beautifully.

knudson.gif
knudson.gif (230.6 KiB) Viewed 5305 times
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby nfbandon » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:51 am

I actually think it more desirable to slot it with a bit of an outside DS handpath. This is something I have toyed around with this year (see my X marks the spot videos), but I have not had the ability to really twist the knife (my expression for CW forearm rotation) because of the tear in my left rotator cuff. The outside and loop it in aaproach tends to send the hands inside but aims the hand path too far to the right. With an OTT layoff you are kind of aiming left post impact already. It also activates the right shoulder, and I hit the ball the best when my right shoulder is moving aggressively through the shot.

I am at the breaking up the scar tissue stage now and really look forward to exploring this with maximum CW forearm rotation in transition.
nfbandon

Postby Range Rat » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:58 pm

nfbandon wrote:I actually think it more desirable to slot it with a bit of an outside DS handpath. This is something I have toyed around with this year (see my X marks the spot videos), but I have not had the ability to really twist the knife (my expression for CW forearm rotation) because of the tear in my left rotator cuff. The outside and loop it in aaproach tends to send the hands inside but aims the hand path too far to the right. With an OTT layoff you are kind of aiming left post impact already. It also activates the right shoulder, and I hit the ball the best when my right shoulder is moving aggressively through the shot.

I am at the breaking up the scar tissue stage now and really look forward to exploring this with maximum CW forearm rotation in transition.

Is that going to require keeping the L arm higher during transition instead of lowering it. :)
You're ahead of where you were, and behind where you're going.
Range Rat

Postby SlamminSam2 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:37 pm

Range Rat wrote:
nfbandon wrote:I actually think it more desirable to slot it with a bit of an outside DS handpath. This is something I have toyed around with this year (see my X marks the spot videos), but I have not had the ability to really twist the knife (my expression for CW forearm rotation) because of the tear in my left rotator cuff. The outside and loop it in aaproach tends to send the hands inside but aims the hand path too far to the right. With an OTT layoff you are kind of aiming left post impact already. It also activates the right shoulder, and I hit the ball the best when my right shoulder is moving aggressively through the shot.

Is that going to require keeping the L arm higher during transition instead of lowering it. :)

Yes because the hands have to stay UP as the club head drops behind. The left arm stays high on your chest for a fraction as you turn so that you can get your hands over the plane with the club head/shaft beneath it.
SlamminSam2

Postby LesMurray » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:04 pm

I notice with Mac and Knudson that as they slot the club, the left wrist flattens out. I am big at setting a cup in my left wrist at the top of the BS as I feel it really gives me the green light when I get to P3 to fire away. How does this flattening keep the club face open as we arrive at P3?
LesMurray

Postby nfbandon » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:25 pm

Les that is a gooood intention currently, but when and if you choose to take on the layoff you will find that the loss of at least some of the cup during transition is inevitable. It even happens to John. Not something you try to do, but something that happens as the forces play out.

I tried to load a screen shot of John in transition from his superslot video but the pixel count was too high on my Samsung tablet, but you can go to that video and see it clearly.
nfbandon

PreviousNext

Return to Top Threads (2000 Club)