Super Slotting the Golf Club

Super Slotting the Golf Club

Postby lagpressure » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:02 pm

superslotting.jpg
superslotting.jpg (327.36 KiB) Viewed 17954 times

I get a lot of questions from students about transitioning the club, and how this seems a common theme amongst most golfers who are serious about improving their golf swing.

I feel to teach a student properly, I need to fully understand each aspect of the golf swing. For me, while that may initially start with observation, it must be finished by personal demonstration and getting in touch with what is actually happening within the body on a biomechanical level. By demonstration, that means taking it to the golf course and hitting shots.

Over the last 6 months I have been working on several new techniques to not only better understand transition, but to improve my own golf swing.

I'm excited to share some new findings on what I feel will be an exceptional series of advanced module techniques that I feel will be a sure fire way to teach students the concept of super slotting the golf club.

I believe the techniques will be most beneficial to advanced students here who have done the muscular strengthening to handle the increased loading and range of motion super slotting sets up. (Module 1, 2 and 3 in particular)

While there have been a lot of excellent tips on how to deeply slot the golf club such as forearm rotation, show God the time, tucking the right elbow... etc.. I think most instruction in this area still leaves the student feeling somewhat confused and incomplete. I'm confident I'll be able to change this.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Re: Super Slotting the Golf Club

Postby lagpressure » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:04 pm

http://advancedballstriking.com/superslotting.mov

Here is a video link that the stills where taken from.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby lagpressure » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:16 pm

One of the popular mythologies of super slotting the club is that the players who do this have some kind of special or unusual wrist flexing abilities... such as being able to touch the thumbs to the forearms and so on.. I can assure you all this is absolutely not a requirement to do so.

Another common belief is that the grip is somehow loosened at the top of the swing or that the left thumb must be moved off the club so that the shaft can fall into the gap between the index finger and left thumb. Again, this is not required. I don't believe this would be desirable either.

Many believe that if you master this move.. you will hit the ball great.. again, I would say this is a misconception..
however.. when combined with other things, it can be very beneficial in the quest for better ball control and power in the golf swing.

Any time a swing change is implemented, other things will be both affected and required. Each new force will require an opposing force to basically counter balance.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby Steb » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:14 pm

Although a lot of the wrist angle we see in pictures looks a lot less than it really is because of the camera angle, still it appears to be less than the 90 degrees I can manage.

Lag, if you take your normal grip on the club, lift arms up so the left is horizontal and cock the club up as far your wrists will let it, what sort of left-arm/shaft angle does your flexibility allow?
Steb

Postby lagpressure » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:59 pm

Maybe 70 degrees. Nothing exceptional. Maybe even less than average. Camera angles can have some effect, but most golfers would look pretty dumpy - throwaway from the exact same camera angle.

I was reading an article Hogan wrote where he discussed usable forearm rotation.. and I had to ask myself.. am I leaving a lot of that on the table? and the answer was yes, yes I am.

Ultimately you have to be able to get back to the ball from there.. not as easy as it seems.. and this is the downfall of most who attempt to super slot the club at transition. Most do it wrong.. and in the entirely wrong intention - direction.

There is absolutely nothing loose or flippy going on here. I am death gripping the club.. nothing loose in the hands or fingers nor is the left arm bending to assist.

The beauty of this I have found is that if you can slot it here.. you absolutely cannot get OTT.. it is just not possible. You can rotate level as hard and fast as you can muster.. and never worry about a pulled shot.

As much as it feels impossible to hit the ball left.. it feels very difficult to hit the ball right because you can fire hands and pivot rotation so aggressively that you actually can feel like you are trying to hook the ball off the planet.. but you can't because of the geometry you have set up for yourself. It's really a brilliant move..

This really isn't just a "Hogan" move.. there have been many fine strikers in this deep. Some of the guys I played against on tour did this also... and often they were the better ball strikers who didn't need to grind 1000's of balls after every round.

When done properly this can be very good technique.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby Steb » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:37 pm

Wow, 70 degrees. I think I'm beginning to learn why I developed some bad body contortions early on trying to get the club to the 'top'.
Steb

Postby Steb » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:55 am

I just measured my maximum radial deviation (i.e. wrist cockability) at 12 degrees, normal apparently is 20 degrees :cry:

I wonder if playing golf as a kid increases the flexibility here.
Steb

Postby IronOfZion » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:10 am

Steb wrote:Wow, 70 degrees. I think I'm beginning to learn why I developed some bad body contortions early on trying to get the club to the 'top'.

steb,
Just in case you hadn't thought of this :)
The way you grip the club with the left hand can change the angle significantly.
I believe lag has his club almost inline with the knuckles whereas a lot of golfers grip the club more or less diagonally across the palm of the hand.
It should be easier to get to 70 degrees for someone with a finger grip vs someone with a palm grip.
The path to enlightenment is paved with good intentions.
IronOfZion

Postby Steb » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:45 am

I actually measured that too, but thought Lag would have pretty much the same grip. I didn't realize he held it more across the hand. I'm running 36 degrees diagonally.

clubhand.jpg
clubhand.jpg (20.16 KiB) Viewed 17116 times

The 12 degrees radial deviation I measured before is with the back of the hand flat, i.e. no cupping (wrist extension). I think it's only because cupping the wrist allows more radial deviation that I can even get a 90 degree shaft/arm angle.
Steb

Postby IronOfZion » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:22 am

Steb wrote:The 12 degrees radial deviation I measured before is with the back of the hand flat, i.e. no cupping (wrist extension). I think it's only because cupping the wrist allows more radial deviation that I can even get a 90 degree shaft/arm angle.

In the below picture, do you measure the angle between 1 and 3 or the one between 2 and 3?
radial deviation.jpg
radial deviation.jpg (21.41 KiB) Viewed 17116 times
The path to enlightenment is paved with good intentions.
IronOfZion

Next

Return to Top Threads (2000 Club)