Super Slotting the Golf Club

Re: Super Slotting the Golf Club

Postby swingsearch » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:56 pm

lagpressure wrote:
11.jpg

This is typical of players who obsess over the position at the top, downswing with tons of lag etc. They rarely have the structure and pivot dynamic to handle such a load. Angles on the downswing mean nothing if you don't have the post impact rotational thrust to keep the the torso ahead of the golf club. The clubshaft flips when acceleration zero's out. One can still get "the look" by throwing the right arm at the ball and moving the shaft off plane, but that is not ideal either. In this case,
there is a disconnect of the golf club from the core rotation leaving the club free wheeling and no longer being controlled by the player. The torso moves too quick too soon creating the big lag look, but then stalls because it can't keep accelerating at that rate, then all the pressure gets dumped early like a pressure valve exploding before impact. While there is some CF pull still in the hands, the master striker will maintain tangential pressure in the hands because the golf club is still being driven by the core long past impact. That kind of feel in the hands post impact is the lifeblood of top quality ball striking.

Thanks again for taking the time to review, Lag. I do appreciate the time you invested.
swingsearch

Postby lagpressure » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:01 pm

If I remember, Chip Beck was playing his best golf while he was working on some of Mac O's earlier concepts. Not sure what derailed him... he went into a horrible slump and not sure he ever really came out of that? Maybe an injury or just personal life stuff... who knows..
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby bruceg » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:52 am

I get why we flatten the shaft...so we don't steepen the shaft too early in transition. At some point we have to get back on shaft plane...in other words we have to steepen the club at some point in order to hit the ball...where is that point? Is it where the shaft is parallel to ground?
bruceg

Postby lagpressure » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:48 am

It depends because it is going to be different for everyone to some degree. Later the better, but that depends upon the forearm rotational strength and speed of the player and also torso rotation. The stronger and faster, the later you can pull the trigger. With the ABS Module work, we get on that right away. Everything we do in all the work is geared toward exactly this intention of delaying the strike. Hit hard, but hit late.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby bruceg » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:20 am

thank for the reply, Lag...awesome insights as always...I've read almost every post on board, but I still don't have a full understanding of the slot...slot is used all over the place..."get in the slot", "Hogan slots is great" and so on...What and Where is the SLOT?????? Where is the club head in relation to the arms and body? haven't really read a clear definition... I've heard 3rd dimension...i'll take a crack at it from observation...Is the SLOT or super slot where the clubhead is behind you at p4, now you drop the hands and arms(pulling down the church bell rope) while still holding the intention of p4, or in other words having the shaft still pointing at the target while arms arm below parallel to the ground...or hitting the 6 oclock on the ball not 4:30...that's the intention anyway

<iframe src="https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=998485B96303F8D5&resid=998485B96303F8D5%21195&authkey=AJSdBBfj4pnyjiM" width="231" height="320" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>
bruceg

Postby bruceg » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:29 am

like this below
HT.gif
HT.gif (334.45 KiB) Viewed 8614 times
bruceg

Postby norcalvol » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:48 am

That is a fantastic display, showing that at transition as weight is shifted and hips begin to go, all the club does is drop.
Accelerate forever!
norcalvol

Postby lagpressure » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:00 pm

Bruceg

It's slightly complicated in that there is more than one technique available to us to properly slot the club. So the position of the club "in the slot" will vary to varying degrees depending upon protocol.

Best if the hands move straight down toward the ground and the shaft also flattens through transition. The more the hands move down, the less the shaft needs to layoff or flatten. Ideally you should strive to do both... but it must be understood that the deeper you slot the club, the stronger you need to be with the forearm rotation into the strike.. We call this Mod 1 around here.

If that hands don't move down toward the ground, then the shaft is better to flatten as much as possible. What you don't want to do is have the hands move out toward the ball and the shaft steepen. That's the death move.

Students here are taught several techniques to slot the club. Some will by nature slot deeper than others. That 's is fine.
What is critical is that the relationship between slotting and firing from P3 is a match. Otherwise, deep slotting can be deep problems also.

The core of my teaching method is that we learn first how to fire, and work our post impact pivot thrust to a level of competency so that we can then explore slotting, transition backswings etc... otherwise, just working on transition will be not much more than an exercise in futility. I learned this the hard way believe me!
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby nfbandon » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:34 pm

Someone started a thread on Golfwrx on John's SS, and I have been in dialog over there. In the course of responding I cam across this video. Nothing new but nice visual evidence and another voice that seeing Hogan doing it the way John teaches it:

nfbandon

Postby Steve P » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:58 am

Steve P

Previous

Return to Top Threads (2000 Club)