Current PGA tour

Re: Current PGA tour

Postby Nickj1 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:44 pm

Nickj1

Postby Wknhacker » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:43 am

I watched some of that BMW championship during the 3rd and 4th rounds.

Guys were hitting it into the trees, hazards, and water knowing that all they needed was to loft it up with a wedge on to the soft greens and tap it in for birdie. On a short par 4 Justin Thomas tried to drive the green with his driver and hit it into the water. He took his drop, grabbed a wedge and stuck it within a foot for his par. So much for risk/reward PGA tour golf course set-ups.

I felt sorry for the golf course. It had absolutely no defence to the bomb and gougers.
"I have a tip that can take five strokes off anyone's golf game: it's called an eraser." - Arnold Palmer
Wknhacker

Postby lagpressure » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:48 am

Adam Scott:
“If you require us to shape tee shots to get it in play, we’re going to struggle. We just play straight. Everything straight. If you had to draw a driver to get it in the fairway, then we’re going to see different scores. But while there’s an option to go over trees and go over bunkers, it’s just relentless.”

Brent Snedeker:
“Now the drivers are made so easy to hit that there’s no penalty for swinging as hard as you want to at every driver, because it won’t go as far off-line, there’s no penalty for really going all-out on one.”

Goose Gossage on baseball:
“I can’t watch these games anymore,’’ Gossage said. “It’s not baseball. It’s unwatchable. A lot of the strategy of the game, the beauty of the game, it’s all gone.
“It’s like a video game now. It’s home run derby with their (expletive) launch angle every night.’’
Is it healthy for the game if every player can hit 40 home runs and records are threatened constantly? Does that issue get more concerning when the ball is influencing the extreme home-run rate? Knowing that, how should fans contextualize records set in this era?
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby Wknhacker » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:03 am

There are a lot of modern pros would adapt reasonable quickly to using a persimmon driver if they were mandated to do so. Lots of fans are now voicing their demands for at least one big event on the PGA Tour calendar where the players are only allowed to use persimmon woods, blades, and balata balls.

Here's 2012 U.S. Women's Open winner Na Yeon Choi ripping one down the middle using a persimmon driver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz5SXZX8zvQ&feature=youtu.be
"I have a tip that can take five strokes off anyone's golf game: it's called an eraser." - Arnold Palmer
Wknhacker

Postby LesMurray » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:59 am

Here is an interesting exhibition event down in Carlsbad, CA. It is at a course called Goat Hill rescued and restored by the people at Ashworth. Not a big fan of the guy who runs the channel but this is pretty cool with pros playing persimmons on an old-school course.

Enjoy

LesMurray

Previous

Return to Top Threads (2000 Club)