Current PGA tour

Re: Current PGA tour

Postby lagpressure » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:41 pm

A major championship in golf used to mean that if you missed 7 fairways on Sunday, you shot 78 not 64.

I really don't get it.

This is so undramatic. A major used to mean that a 2 shot lead going into the 18th on Sunday was far from a lock.
Smash a drive 350 to get within a wedge of the green with hardly any rough. There was absolutely nothing "major" about
this last event that used to be the PGA Championship.

Is this going to get worse?
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby HelterSkelter » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:39 pm

I'm pretty sure Tiger missed every fairway on the front 9 in the final round - can't remember one he hit anyway.

None of the leading players drove it very straight either.

Stewart Cink hit 17 greens and only managed -3 (67) for final round.
HelterSkelter

Postby LesMurray » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:06 am

I have a hard time calling the PGA Championship a major anymore. I don't think it's really been of major status in my eyes since before 2000. I would rather see the Australian Open become one of the 4 majors rather than the PGA.

I was watching a replay of the '66 Open last night when on 18 Palmer was hitting from the left rough. You couldn't even see his shoes, let alone his ball when he was addressing his shot.
LesMurray

Postby k2baloo » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:15 am

I consider it a major based on the fact it has the strongest field in golf of any tournament. I wasn't in love with the course, but there were some good moments.
Brooks hitting it to 7 feet on 16 was spectacular.
k2baloo

Postby Wknhacker » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:34 am

One has to feel bad for Keopka though. The guy goes out and wins the thing and everyone is talking about and discussing Tiger's round.

That being said, I loved watching Tiger scramble and pull of some miracle shots during that last round. That round has definitely made him believe he can go out there and win more majors again.
"I have a tip that can take five strokes off anyone's golf game: it's called an eraser." - Arnold Palmer
Wknhacker

Postby k2baloo » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:12 pm

k2baloo

Postby Mashie72 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:46 am

https://youtu.be/JCBVs6ZjimM

Like what Pete has to say about Stenson's 3 levels of ball striking
"The secret is on the deck"
Mashie72

Postby LesMurray » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:20 pm

Saw this video over in the Persimmon Golf Society page on FB. Some interesting experiences, especially when he started hitting the old balatas with the persimmon clubs. He was forced to slow down his club head speed in order to make a solid strike.

Enjoy!

LesMurray

Postby lagpressure » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:42 pm

A reminder note that the figures posted are in meters not yards.... but the clubhead speed is in MPH not Kilometers per hour.

Seems about right. An over 50 yard difference.
As far as adapting.... I think some players would adapt, others would not. It might be a different set of players today if they were to
play the gear from the classic game.

It was mentioned that it is like 2 different games... which I would completely agree with.

I have heard that in some areas of life, some of the millenial generation have been seeking things that are more or truly authentic.
It would be good if that happened in golf.

The point being made about the courses not being able to defend themselves is spot on. I know the tired argument that competition is
competition and who cares what the course and gear are... but while that is true in a direct sense, it misses all the detail and articulation
of the classic game. Super Golf is not the same.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby BomGolf222 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:02 am

lagpressure wrote:A reminder note that the figures posted are in meters not yards.... but the clubhead speed is in MPH not Kilometers per hour.

Seems about right. An over 50 yard difference.
As far as adapting.... I think some players would adapt, others would not. It might be a different set of players today if they were to
play the gear from the classic game.

It was mentioned that it is like 2 different games... which I would completely agree with.

I have heard that in some areas of life, some of the millenial generation have been seeking things that are more or truly authentic.
It would be good if that happened in golf.

The point being made about the courses not being able to defend themselves is spot on. I know the tired argument that competition is
competition and who cares what the course and gear are... but while that is true in a direct sense, it misses all the detail and articulation
of the classic game. Super Golf is not the same.

Reminds me of that phrase I used back in the day on here, that modern golf is like playing tennis on a table tennis table- it's just not a fair game, and hasn't been for a long time. Officially I'd say since Oosthuizen destroyed St. Andrews, and not in terms of score necessarily, just in terms of basic respect and decency.
BomGolf222

PreviousNext

Return to Top Threads (2000 Club)