Re: Right Leg Loading and Weight transfer

Postby k2baloo » Fri May 04, 2018 5:41 pm

Nickj1 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBaxJHBvb4k

Nice, short video. Glad I watched
k2baloo

Postby Ded2Journey » Sat May 05, 2018 5:13 am

Is this why Hogan had that extra spike?!?!?!?! :o
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby paradigm_shift » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:02 pm

I have ALWAYS been fighting a tendency to come slightly OTT and pull the ball.

My question is this. When I make a full backswing .... I feel my head move laterally to the right a couple/few inches. I get a sense that perhaps I have a bit of an upper body lunge towards the ball at transition that is causing these pulls.

Is the correct feeling (to get on the 4:30 line) to allow my head to move laterally to the right in the backswing ..... but then LOCK IT .... as I commence my downswing? Once my club face swings through the ball it pulls me to my finish (as opposed to a blatent hanging back on my right side which I know what it feels like).

I get the sense that with my head being locked ... room is created for the shaft to fall in the slot from the inside easier.

Any insight? Thanks
paradigm_shift

Postby LesMurray » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:35 am

Same issue here Paradigm - I get a pull left if I use any of my shoulder rotation to initiate the downswing or to help add power before the strike.

I think the key feeling is that we are pressuring DOWN, not laterally or forward. Preserve that rotation we have created in the backswing for after the strike as much as possible.
LesMurray

Postby paradigm_shift » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:55 pm

Thanks Les.

I was at the range today experimenting with locking my head at the finish of my backswing (while pressuring my right leg). It was great and I’m sure it helped me get on the 4:30 line properly because I was hitting the ball fairly straight and around 15-20 yards.

I didn’t realize Nicklaus has been saying this for 55 years.

Nicklaus Quotes:

‘The head must stay behind the ball until after impact.’
‘The back must face the target for as long as possible.’
‘You can’t release to early.’

I know this is all common sense to ABS but I am positive this is a top 3 mistake made by poor players.
paradigm_shift

Postby paradigm_shift » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:38 am

One last point.

For pullers of the ball such as myself .... the ABS concepts of opposing forces ... flat clubs .... eliminating the left side of the course are all enticing. My rounds get ruined by hard pulls and I have very flat clubs.

If I was chopping a tree with an axe horizontally.... I’d let my head roam a few inches to the right in the backswing ..... but I’d lock it there ... to gain leverage. Pressure in my right leg would also help.

If the head moves at all at the commencement of the ‘downswing’.... I am toast.

I re-watched Bradley’s video about Nicklaus’ (You can’t release the club too early) and Bradly was saying how it is because Nicklaus’ hands are so high at the top of the backswing. That’s why it wasn’t a hack move for Nicklaus when that swing thought would be for amateurs. My impression is that if the head is locked at the finish of the backswing..... the ONLY THING ..... that can consciously start the downswing is the hands!
paradigm_shift

Postby LesMurray » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:43 am

paradigm_shift wrote:I re-watched Bradley’s video about Nicklaus’ (You can’t release the club too early) and Bradly was saying how it is because Nicklaus’ hands are so high at the top of the backswing. That’s why it wasn’t a hack move for Nicklaus when that swing thought would be for amateurs. My impression is that if the head is locked at the finish of the backswing..... the ONLY THING ..... that can consciously start the downswing is the hands!

I would say that the only thing that starts the downswing is the right knee flex. The hands should commence the "free ride down" until the club is on the 4:30 line.
LesMurray

Postby twomasters » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:13 am

Right leg loading will tend to drop the hands down whilst keeping the clubhead up.
I have found thru a lot of my lessons that the feeling of the hands aiming out at or even beyond the ball as this leg load occurs slots the arms nicely in front of the torso- which has kept its closure. From there rotating the arms or speeding them up will keep the arms in front of the torso so both arms club and body can then unwind simultaneously. It is kind of the basis for my out is down video on youtube. Where out doesnt really go out as much as we think but pulling arms down can tend to get them trapped behind the body and a stall and arm throw may then be necessary to get bat to ball
twomasters

Previous

Return to Top Threads (2000 Club)