Mike Austin Swing

Mike Austin Swing

Postby Justin Tang » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:28 am

Mike Austin holds the record of the longest drive in tournament play, a 515 yard rocket with persimmon and balata.
I personally have experimented with his "spin the wheel" type release and found that feel to be extremely effective when combined with a properly functioning pivot as we are taught here.
Justin Tang

Re: Mike Austin Swing

Postby lagpressure » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:11 pm

inside.jpg
inside.jpg (61.47 KiB) Viewed 12631 times

He loved the inside takeaway like so many great strikers.. including George Knudson.
Quick to feel our 4:30 line right on takeaway..

Shows some good intentions.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby aiguille » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:25 am

Check out this video with the accompanying advice, quite interesting stuff about Austin's release, angled hinge and post impact pivot.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWX-QHHzvUc

Sirs

I have been waiting for rover to post this.
The first part of the lesson is the last part. Watch the bucket get fuller as the tape goes on.
John Edited it backwards, for what reason I don't Know.

This is what I have been trying to say about the throw all along.

Sometimes Believing is seeing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWX-QHHzvUc

Watch what mike is doing a 0.45 -> 0.53 with just the left hand.

A 6 inch left arm ,36 inch right arm through impact.
This Is Mikes Secret.

You have to build up forearm strength through the fingers to do it, with both hands.
It's worth 20-30 yds.

The accuracy increases because your focus will be on the (what will feel like the slow speed) of the club head.
You get the feeling of following the club head, and extension.

As for the lashing, 5:12->5:15 it's a full body lash, utlizing the entire left side, foot to shoulder.
Powered by leveraging the feet against the ground using your spikes, to snap the hips.
Hogan did this "The secret is in the dirt".

The release
06:33
"I don't want the toe that way, I want it this way"
Watch the way John adjusts the face to face the sky, through swing.

Ulnar deviation
02:24

"If I'm gonna aim a gun I want a straight line from my eye to the ball".
Don't point the butt at the knees.

"Out" The centrifugal force will pull my arms out.

John: centripetal
Mike: Not centripetal! cen-tri-fu-gal.

We need a transcript, it's hard to hear above the backround noise.

Postby aiguille » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:06 am

The above post was made by someone called Squish who appears to be very knowledgeable about the MA swing and golf in general.

He also has a wonderful analogy of the MA swing essentially consisting of a vicious uppercut punch ( Bolo punch ) which I find interesting for a number of reasons...MA was also a boxer and won several heavyweight fights ( he claims this on one video I have ) and apparently also said 'put some fight in the club'!

This is all really very suggestive of very serious post impact intentions! While his advice regarding release of the club appears to suggest a swinger's dump, he clearly advocates post impact intentions more akin to the hitting protocol that Lag teaches.
aiguille

Postby AustinStudent » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:11 am

Sadly, much of what Mike taught is being mischaracterized.
A lot of the "gurus" never even met the man or met him very late in his life.
I had the good fortune of working intensely with him for years.
MIke was a real hands-on instructor whose techniques brought effortless power and accuracy.
For what it's worth, here's my swing under Mike's watchful eye:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWf0otWnWEw
AustinStudent

Postby Range Rat » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:51 am

Us rats live in the dark....never heard of MA before! Can't believe all the stuff out there on the web....simply amazing.

Looks like a "hand cross-over dump" using reciprocity as the vehicle.... like swinging up a hill. Still a timing gamble....and if the lie is awkward, or downhill?

Hey Aiguille....who's Squish? :lol: RR
You're ahead of where you were, and behind where you're going.
Range Rat

Postby robbo » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:37 pm

AustinStudent wrote:Sadly, much of what Mike taught is being mischaracterized.
A lot of the "gurus" never even met the man or met him very late in his life.
I had the good fortune of working intensely with him for years.
MIke was a real hands-on instructor whose techniques brought effortless power and accuracy.
For what it's worth, here's my swing under Mike's watchful eye:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWf0otWnWEw

Student,

As is the case with so many instructors who try to describe the greats who are no longer with us, all they can do is use any and all bits of info available to them.It's a daunting task and some are better at it than others.

I don't think anyone at ABS is reviewing MA's swing and saying it's the "model". You're video is certainly not what I would characterize as effortless power, but then I don't think Lag views his hitting model as effortless either. Rather, you look like you're trying to hit a 6-iron 250 yards.... I see a LOT of effort. I have no idea how accurate you are.

Just my opinion. I have no dog in a Mike Austin fight.

robbo
robbo

Postby AustinStudent » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:41 am

Nope. I was going about 75%.
That's the beauty. The club is coming through fast, the body is not coming hard.
That technique, for me, provided dead straight shots with very little effort. Mike called it "supple quickness versus rigid slowness".
Not here to argue however. People raised the Austin swing and I was lucky enough to have worked for years with the gentleman.
I thought that some might enjoy some insights from what he taught and enjoy seeing actual swings which he thought were commendable.
Not that it is better or worse than any other technique.
Unfortunately, many alleged gurus are out there teaching his swing who never met Mike or who met him only in the late years.
All the best . . .
AustinStudent

Postby lagpressure » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:15 am

I don't know a lot about Austin's theories, but I do know he was a very long hitter, and I think still holds the record for the longest drive ever hit.. even using persimmon.

No doubt that precision shot making, and long driving contests are both valid sports in their own respected arenas. Very different final objectives however.

If your goal is to create as much clubhead speed as possible, void of acceleration through impact, there are a lot of ways to go about this.

This is the age of 7600 yard golf courses favoring more wide open landing areas than ever before... so it would not be surprising to see Austin's theories gaining in popularity as we move deeper into the titanium age.

From the little I have seen, Austin would be teaching more of what we would call a "swingers protocol". I used this for years, in college, and finished 7th in the NCAA long drive contest at Burmuda Run in 1986 with a 297 yard drive using persimmon and balata slightly up a hill. However, I was not in the top ten in the tournament. Good ball control was what won the tournament.. Scott Verplank if I remember right.

Would love to hear some things you learned from Austin..
welcome, and please feel free to post.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby NRG » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:39 am

void of acceleration through impact

I don't know anything about Mike Austins technique. But I did read a book about him, very interesting fellow.

In the book Austin claimed to have have evidence (photographic swinging in front of a grid) that he had a club head speed of 150mph at impact and 155mph after.
NRG

Next

Return to Top Threads (2000 Club)