the COAM myth

the COAM myth

Postby mandrin » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:07 pm

The post which led to being banned from iseekgolf – the COAM myth.

TGM people are all for science as long as it concurs with their views.

Conservation of angular momentum is not really part of their dogmatic views.

But perhaps they were afraid I would touch on their views about impact. ;)
mandrin

Re: the COAM myth

Postby bentshaft » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:17 pm

Im a high handicapper---how good would i have to be to give a sh1te what you are talking about??
bentshaft

Postby mandrin » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:42 pm

bentshaft wrote:Im a high handicapper---how good would i have to be to give a sh1te what you are talking about??

You will likely never be good enough. It requires curiosity, which is lacking.

Curiosity is one of only a few things setting us apart from animal kingdom.
mandrin

Postby bentshaft » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:06 pm

WOW---I feel like I was just literally eaten by a lion--yet I still am alive---
bentshaft

Postby mandrin » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:38 pm

bentshaft wrote:WOW---I feel like I was just literally eaten by a lion--yet I still am alive---

An illusion. It requires imagination.
mandrin

Postby bentshaft » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:54 pm

I dont have the imagination to take this further---I clearly stated I was a high handicapper and wondered how what ever you were saying could
help me understand----you subtlety insulted me...I may not know P3 from a P38 but I do understand the written word
and your words make no sense to me

Going back to the bag (M1) has more uses than I realized :o
bentshaft

Postby mandrin » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:05 pm

bentshaft wrote:I dont have the imagination to take this further---I clearly stated I was a high handicapper and wondered how what ever you were saying could
help me understand----you subtlety insulted me...I may not know P3 from a P38 but I do understand the written word
and your words make no sense to me

Going back to the bag (M1) has more uses than I realized :o

Who insults who ? :roll:
mandrin

Postby eagle » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:12 am

mandrin wrote:The post which led to being banned from iseekgolf – the COAM myth.

TGM people are all for science as long as it concurs with their views.

Conservation of angular momentum is not really part of their dogmatic views.

But perhaps they were afraid I would touch on their views about impact. ;)

That is interesting Mandrin, but help me understand, because I think I might not agree with you in regards to COAM. ( But I do agree with you regarding TGM people...they like science as long as it agrees with their views..... )And by the way, just because someone can impressively recite chapter and verse of the Yellow Book repeatedly with great speed and enthusiasm, it does not mean what they say is true...reality cannot be suspended. But it may help them dupe themselves and others.

And please remember, I am not an engineer, and have had only a year of college level physics, many years ago.... I consider myself a physics "hacker/duffer/20 handicapper". So forgive me if I present stupid questions. But I am curious. And I still think that right thinking may produce better results( still waiting!!) I liked what Gerry said recently on another post...something like "there's no competition here, we're all just seeking reality." That's where I'm coming from.

Reading your example, you say a golfer at the top of his backswing has no angular momentum. I agree. But, does he not have potential energy , which can be converted to kinetic energy, and thus angular momentum?

You give some good thought experiments....here's another I borrow from Bertholy: How can can a man, standing with his arms to the sky, lift a weight of 150 pounds? ....Answer: by sitting on a teeter totter and lifting the weight on the other side of the fulcrum( and thus allowing his potential energy to be converted kinetic energy).

So in your example, can't the golfer at the top of his swing, let his weight drop, and let his arms fall(free ride), and pivot against the ground , to create energy and momentum, some of which creates angular momentum( converts the momentum of the falling arms and club to angular momentum)? And must not this angular momentum be preserved?

This is similar to your example,how the diver and skater use their potential energy to create their angular momentum. They didn't just start rotating from scratch, they have to use their own potential energy and gravity to create and transform it. So, would the example of the diver and skater be more accurate if one expanded the time of the experiment to BEFORE they were spinning, rather than start the example at a point in time when they are already spinning? Either that, or should one consider the golfer starting at a point in his downswing when he is already turning towards the target, and thus have components of his turning assembly that have angular momentum?
eagle

Postby NRG » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:26 am

Eagle,

Like this??

Ben Hogan right elbow.jpg
Ben Hogan right elbow.jpg (30.42 KiB) Viewed 6290 times

Looks like some angles there.

NRG
NRG

Postby eagle » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:52 pm

NRG wrote:Eagle,

Like this??

Ben Hogan right elbow.jpg

Looks like some angles there.

NRG

Yes, thanks NRG...that was pretty fast. Looks like Hogan is nearing the end of his "free ride".

.....a picture is worth a thousand words.

PS...is there anywhere on this site teaching how to post pictures and video content?
eagle

Next

Return to Top Threads (2000 Club)