Lag, lightbulb moments and videotape

Re: Lag, lightbulb moments and videotape

Postby lagpressure » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:43 pm

Hi John

Here is my latest Mod 7 work. I'm working on maintaining a bit of left knee flex post impact and hearing the swoosh of the club thru p4 up to finish.

I have also been working on the 2 ball drill. When I get this right the increased lag angle is very dramatic- see attached before/after photo. But i have realised that in order to get to this position, the big shoulder turn needs to be followed by a HUGE flex down into the right knee. Like 1 foot of downward drop. If I don't do this I just go left too quick and lose my spine angle and get steep.

11.jpg
11.jpg (333.46 KiB) Viewed 4214 times
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby HB51 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:01 pm

Does anyone recall where the thread is that talked about "trying to hit the ball with the back of the club" in an effort to get the club face open at P3 and into impact?

Thanks
HB51
HB51

Postby Mashie72 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:52 pm

HB51 wrote:Does anyone recall where the thread is that talked about "trying to hit the ball with the back of the club" in an effort to get the club face open at P3 and into impact?

Thanks
HB51

I think it was this student IIRC

aiguille
"The secret is on the deck"
Mashie72

Postby lagpressure » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:17 am

Module 9 Student:

I have been playing infrequently
and actually playing the best golf of my life (I even shot a 32 on one
9, never having previously broken par in my life). Without a video it
is hard to say what the swing looks like but ABS intentions are in every
swing if not in my swing DNA, so I have you to thank. I am a 10
handicap I should probably be at around 5 or 6 but for the lost shots on
the green.

I have been going through your videos "lessons from the deck" and they
are really very good. These are a great supplement to the mod videos
and have really resonated with my experience of the course. Thank you
for the effort that you have put into the course and I look forward to
sending you a video of my "new swing". It feels so very different to
my old swing. Hopefully it will look different.

Best Regards
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby lagpressure » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:07 pm

Mod 3 Student:

And I can keep pulling with my torso all the way till the end - I did this really aggressively and practically walked through the 'shot' (no ball) at first!

And the left leg tension is there at the end, as long as my Mod 2 remains active till the end of Mod 3.

I think I will get there, at blending Mod 2 and 3. It's not easy but I feel I am almost there
Thanks for your guidance, I am glad I raised the question - I think I have just had yet another breakthrough! Another recent one was the 'unpinning' of my head....

Thank you John!
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby lagpressure » Fri May 12, 2017 11:50 pm

Mod 6 Student:

My ball striking has been pretty good that last few weeks much crisper sound and less deviation off line on miss hits..

I still cannot believe how different the game feels now to 18 months ago, such a great program!

Mod 7 Student:

Thank you so much for creating this program. It really has far exceeded my expectations. I still have a long way to go,
but a lot of that has been me just resetting the bar and my own goals for my golfing experience. Thanks for your help and patience.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby lagpressure » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:47 am

Module 8 Student

Played in a monthly tournament at RCC... I hit 15 greens in regulation (fringes not included... right on the surface). I'm trying to remember the last time I did that. I think it was probably when I was in my late 20's before I quite the game. Anyway, it was the best ballstriking in a long time. A lot of fun.

Module 7 Student

I spent 10 days in Scotland this summer playing golf on true links courses. Such a different kind of golf compared to the normal courses I come across... I just love the old links courses. Almost all of the courses we played were more than 100 years old. The golf architects of that time were pure genius...

In Scotland I managed to shoot my best score ever on a true championship links course :) So things are definitely improving.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby lagpressure » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:03 am

Switching to ABS set up Irons:

Dear John,

Thank you so much! I just got the clubs today from UPS and went with my dad to the range. Did some practice with chipping, pitching, bunker, and hitting off the mat with a bucket of balls.

I am very grateful to you because the alignment of the clubs is perfect now. Which dramatically improved my short game control. I can actually just aim the face where I think it should go and assuming I execute the correct technique, it goes there! That never happened before. I had a propensity to pull (or pull hook) the ball, even at that short range (within 50yrds).

Finally able to execute clean bunker shots. First time the ball actually got up and out, and did not just die a few feet in front of me and stay in the sand. Also, visually it no longer looks weird to me address.

Plus, the clubs as expected immediately exposed some swing flaws, too! :)

I have developed a bad habit of pulling my hands in towards my body from where I had them at address, right as I am coming into impact, which caused the face to stay slightly open with the apex clubs. Never noticed this with the modern clubs I used until, today, (even on slowmo video) because the different club dynamics: using clubs with lie angles too stiff for me, massive offset, and pre-hooked face angles masked this.

However, it became apparent when I started to push the ball to the right with the longer irons. Where as before I battled a pull hook with all my irons. The apex short irons and mid irons went straight or straight faded, but with the long started to push fade.

Checking the face I was smacking the ball consistently a balls width off the toe, but not catching the heel or toe in the ground, so lie angle is perfect. My dad got a slowmo video from Down the Lane which made the dynamics of how my hands and the club were working obvious. The footage was so visually different than with the game improvements clubs, because of the super flat lie angles, 0 offset, and the stiffer shafts which exposed the true dynamics of my swing. Really excited now to get out to the range again to fix this issue! Practicing is becoming really, really fun, and putting in the reps is a joy!

Thank you again, so much.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby lagpressure » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:28 am

Mod 3 Student:

I now know why Hogan said he wished he had 3 right hands. I noticed I get a bit sloppy when the left arm folds and I'm not applying pressure with the right hand/shoulder. When I'm patient enough to let the handle turn the corner (low and left) the compression is unreal. Haha. I love it.
I got my first hole in one last week. I hit my 56 dyna-powered 6 iron. Thanks for putting a little magic in that club.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby lagpressure » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:24 am

Module 4 Student

You probably get this from other students too - after I get to the ‘next module’, work out and learn the new material, somehow my comprehension (and hopefully execution) of the previous module improves.

Having watched your Mod 4 video many many times, I think my Module 3 is changing for the better! And faster!

Module 7 Student
Just wanted to thank you for your help and patience in my progress. It's been a slow and at times frustrating journey, but my ball striking has improved significantly enough that my common playing partners have been commenting recently. Scores and handicap have been dropping steadily since undertaking the modules. Thanks again!
lagpressure
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Top Threads (2000 Club)