Classic Rounds with Classic Gear on Classic Tracks

Re: Classic Rounds with Classic Gear on Classic Tracks

Postby k2baloo » Tue May 30, 2017 5:16 am

Thanks Ded. Lol, I don't want to know what Hogan would say about my game... Miss-clubbing is one of the worst things. That and missing short putts. I'm getting much better at gauging the shots I should hit into greens, but still mess it up a couple times a round. I'm starting to learn how to hit 7 irons from 150 while spinning them enough to hold. Considering I used to just launch 7 irons 190, it's been quite the adjustment.

As for practice... There's not going to be much this year. Wife and I had our first a few months ago, do he's eating up my golf time. No complaints, but the golf might get a bit worse this year.
k2baloo

Postby LesMurray » Tue May 30, 2017 7:12 am

k2baloo wrote:Thanks Ded. Lol, I don't want to know what Hogan would say about my game... Miss-clubbing is one of the worst things. That and missing short putts. I'm getting much better at gauging the shots I should hit into greens, but still mess it up a couple times a round. I'm starting to learn how to hit 7 irons from 150 while spinning them enough to hold. Considering I used to just launch 7 irons 190, it's been quite the adjustment.

As for practice... There's not going to be much this year. Wife and I had our first a few months ago, do he's eating up my golf time. No complaints, but the golf might get a bit worse this year.

First, congrats on the new baby. My game took a 20-year hiatus after my kids were born.

Second, getting a feel for distance especially within 130 yards is my biggest challenge these days. Yesterday I got out and missed a few greens going long with the short irons, leaving me with a tricky downhill chip or a very long putt from the back of the green. It seems the biggest frustration to get yourself into a good approach with the wedge only to fly the green or hit it off line.
LesMurray

Postby Ded2Journey » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:31 am

That's way better than golf anyway, and you don't have to keep a pesky score! Congrats K2... wonderful stuff indeed.
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby k2baloo » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:00 pm

Thanks all! It's been a ton of fun with the little guy. I still sneak out to play once every week or two, but no practice now.
k2baloo

Postby Wknhacker » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:36 am

Hey K2, congrats to you and the Mrs. My wife and I had our son 3 years ago and it cut back my golf quite a lot.

But it's all worth it. Fatherhood is a joy. I wouldn't trade it for anything. I can't wait for the day when I can take my boy out to the range to hit some balls.
"I have a tip that can take five strokes off anyone's golf game: it's called an eraser." - Arnold Palmer
Wknhacker

Postby LesMurray » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:00 am

Those in the southern and central regions of California should check out La Purisima golf course in Lompoc. The course has been around since the mid-80s and is a somewhat difficult tract winding its way through the rolling hills in the Santa Rita Hills wine region. I got out there yesterday in a bit of a blustery humid day. No trickery on this course, just straight forward shotmaking required. Most greens are tight and well protected. There is a some water on the course but not significant. Most approach shots are up hill but not too many blind approaches. Also some very strategic trees placed either in landing areas or protecting the greens.

I played the course from the Blue/White combo tees playing my '57 staff irons (leather grips, rocket s shafts), my MacGregor M85 SEOM woods (leather grips, MacGregor TT Tourney C shafts), Bullseye FLU4P leather-gripped putter, and Titlist Tour Balata 100 ball. Some of my highlights - opening drive on the par 5 1st middle of the fairway - 5 iron approach from 170 out on par 5 7th uphill with strong L-R wind put just over the green in the fringe on a back right pin up and down for par - sandy par on par 4 14th after perfect drive to 150 out 7 iron fatted into the front trap - 8 iron tee shot on par 3 17th 149 yrds downhill to 6 feet past the pin.

It's always a joy to get out and play that set. I call them my "old man set" as everything is old school. My iron play was more than satisfactory and my chipping was not bad. Off the tee I was not very good only hitting 5 total fairways. Really need to clean up my driving as lately I can barely get off the tee box and put a ball in play.
LesMurray

Postby LesMurray » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:45 am

Got a chance to get back out to La Purisima yesterday for a delightful round. The weather cooperated perfectly after the Saturday rain. Only issue was that the greens were recently punched and were slow, sandy, and extremely bumpy. It was a 3-putt kind of day.

Here's a picture of the short par 3 13th hole. 150 yards down hill from the blue tees to a well guarded green. I took a seven iron just over the left bunker to end up about 15 feet left and below the hole. Made the 2-putt for par.

LesMurray

Postby twomasters » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:51 am

Holy cow....that is where I first got through final stage of q-school to get my PGA Tour card in 1996...La Purisma and Sandpiper were the two courses we played
twomasters

Previous

Return to Top Threads (2000 Club)