Persimmon Golf/Linksoul/Goat Hill Interview

Hosted from Sydney and San Francisco live via the web with Rod Morri, John "Lag" Erickson, and special guests with open call in's.

Persimmon Golf/Linksoul/Goat Hill Interview

Postby lagpressure » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:21 am

http://thegolfersjournal.libsyn.com/episode-4-geoff-cunningham-persimmon-golf

With Geoff Cunningham

http://geoffcunninghamgolf.com/info/

1.jpg
1.jpg (133.41 KiB) Viewed 726 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (150.4 KiB) Viewed 728 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (150.56 KiB) Viewed 729 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (145.2 KiB) Viewed 729 times
lagpressure
Site Admin

Re: Persimmon Golf/Linksoul/Goat Hill Interview

Postby IronOfZion » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:09 am

That was a good listen, thanks!

While listening to it I stumbled upon this interview with Dean Wilson, who also works on Goat Hill IIRC:
https://soundcloud.com/golf_podcast/dean-wilson
Some nice thoughts on playing persimmon and about the state of the game in general.
The path to enlightenment is paved with good intentions.
IronOfZion

Re: Persimmon Golf/Linksoul/Goat Hill Interview

Postby lagpressure » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:22 am

Thanks for posting the Dean Wilson interview as well. Alan Shipnuck seems to like to interview some of the off beat characters of the game.
He also seems to have an affinity for persimmon and classic golf. It is a bit ironic that the podcast is hosted by the USGA. :?

It does seem that there is more and more discussion about the state of the game etc... where things are going, should be going and what can and can't be done about it.

It does seem there is a small growing interest in the classic game. I am shocked it has taken this long, but appears to be legitimately happening. John Ashworth seems to have a vision that some can relate to, and I know John walks his talk, plays the classic game and lives by example.... I know he is inspiring many golfers.

So more and more of these pockets cropping up. Certainly we have a strong community here for classic golf at ABS while probably more centered on the gear and technique, we need it all. It would be great to see enough communities building so that you could easily find persimmon players to play with, connect with etc most anywhere you go.

As far as the Dean Wilson interview, at lot of what he said rang true for me about the tour life.... the grind of the tour and the constant questions that come up from others and your own self about why you are doing this. There is a side of golf outside of the tour life or competitive life that can be embraced and really is missed when you are inside that tour bubble.

For me, I have always had a deep infatuation with the bio mechanics and technique of striking the golf ball at the highest level possible. I see that pursuit as a lost art or point of focus and certainly is not happening in the modern game with the absence of a workable golf ball, poorly designed clubs that focus on velocity rather than control and a complete separation from the intentions of the game at a root and basic level.

The Classic Game is arguably the greatest game ever invented. The modern Super Golf has dumbed the game down to a point that it needs to be properly recognized as a different game. Like it or not, it's a different game. I don't like it being associated under the same umbrella. Once that happens, then things will all be fine and people can pick their game of focus and intent.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Return to ABS Live Radio Show