Page 2 of 4

Re: ABS Live Radio Show

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:42 pm
by 1teebox
Rod, John, Al,

Great show. Great stories. Very entertaining.
Good luck down the road.
Thanks.

Re: ABS Live Radio Show

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:49 pm
by Steb
  • Choice of time definitely worked for me (8am).
  • I did get tricked though :) I was listening to the 'TalkinGolf Live' stream waiting for the ABS session to flow in, but then realized I was listening to an archive of a previous live session and ABS had already started on a different stream.
  • Enjoyable content.
  • Great radio voice and continuity Rod
  • Interestingly, the least call lag was with welshdentist via skype. The lag on Danny's telephone call made obviously made conversation tricky.
  • Any dynamic range controls Rod? Peak I never saw over about 50%, typically 10-15%. Initially very quiet for me until I hooked up some external amplification.
  • I can't remember if a chatroom was started but if it wasn't, these things have worked great during live presentations I've been involved in before. They somewhat steer the show where the listeners are wishing if the host is passively watching the live comments. Also great for when someone misses a word or concept or ambiguity, other listeners can help out or host explain further.

Re: ABS Live Radio Show

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:55 pm
by Rod Morri
Hi guys, Lag will probably be posting this link in the first post of this thread (and will do so after each show so we have a handy index) but I thought I would put it in here in case anyone who missed the show was interested in listening. You can either play this file direct over your computer or download it and save it for later (or if you're techincally savvy even put it on your iPod or mp3 player). As always, any and all feedback apprecited.

http://traffic.libsyn.com/talkingolf/AB ... _remix.mp3

Re: ABS Live Radio Show

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:03 pm
by Rod Morri
Steb wrote:
  • Choice of time definitely worked for me (8am).
  • I did get tricked though :) I was listening to the 'TalkinGolf Live' stream waiting for the ABS session to flow in, but then realized I was listening to an archive of a previous live session and ABS had already started on a different stream.
  • Enjoyable content.
  • Great radio voice and continuity Rod
  • Interestingly, the least call lag was with welshdentist via skype. The lag on Danny's telephone call made obviously made conversation tricky.
  • Any dynamic range controls Rod? Peak I never saw over about 50%, typically 10-15%. Initially very quiet for me until I hooked up some external amplification.
  • I can't remember if a chatroom was started but if it wasn't, these things have worked great during live presentations I've been involved in before. They somewhat steer the show where the listeners are wishing if the host is passively watching the live comments. Also great for when someone misses a word or concept or ambiguity, other listeners can help out or host explain further.



Steb, fantastic feedback and thanks for taking the time to post. Also, thanks for the kind words. As for the sound control and quality, unfortunately I am at the mercy of BlogTalkRadio. Sometimes it is better than others and sometimes it is just horrible. There isn't much I can do for the live show but the podcast link I post later is a cleaned up version hosted on a different server who don't compress the files as much and hence the quality is much better. (I also have a very col program called Levelator which goes through and makes all the voices equal volume...very handy).
I didn't start the chat room this time but will certainly do so on future episodes (and also for TalkinGolf). I've always been a little reluctant because it can be very hard to concentrate on all things at once plus keep up with the conversation (particularly when someone like Al is odds on to drop a nugget of gold requiring further discussion at any given moment!). However, I think your point about listeners being able to communicate with each other as well makes me less nervous. I won't have to watch the thing constantly which will work well.
Thanks again Steb, invaluable input and all hopefully making for an improved product next time.

Rod

Re: ABS Live Radio Show/ Call - in instructions/ show #1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:25 am
by Addington Arnie
Hi guys,

I have just listened to the show this morning here in the UK having downloaded the MP3 that Lag put up. I can echo what Steb said, I was really very impressed. Rod I think you are an excellent host and Al and Lag I can listen too forever. Really great stuff so congratulations to all involved and I really hope you keep it going. I am sure the technical problem with connecting callers can be resolved, though I did wonder actually whether it was a technical problem at all and that some people had just dialled into listen rather than to ask questions and that's why you had the silences.

Great job all round.

Cheers, Arnie

Re: ABS Live Radio Show/ Call - in instructions/ show #1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:47 am
by Rod Morri
Addington Arnie wrote:Hi guys,

I have just listened to the show this morning here in the UK having downloaded the MP3 that Lag put up. I can echo what Steb said, I was really very impressed. Rod I think you are an excellent host and Al and Lag I can listen too forever. Really great stuff so congratulations to all involved and I really hope you keep it going. I am sure the technical problem with connecting callers can be resolved, though I did wonder actually whether it was a technical problem at all and that some people had just dialled into listen rather than to ask questions and that's why you had the silences.

Great job all round.

Cheers, Arnie


Arnie, thanks for the kind words and glad you enjoyed it. I think you may have hit the nail on the head with this diagnosis for the caller problem. I have a plan for the next show which should hopefully resolve this problem.

Rod

Re: ABS Live Radio Show/ Call - in instructions/ show #1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:06 pm
by BomGolf222
I just listened to the first half of it and it's just great stuff. Congrats and well done, Lag.... smells like a revolution....
Btw, Al, that's no slouch of a Snead impression! Excellent....
On a side and humorous note, I kept waiting for Rod to break out with a Richie Benaud- "Oh, what a catch, WHAT a catch!"
Next time you should start the show with "Welcome back to the ABS, it's great to be with you on the forum for the first time todayy"....
Cheers...

Re: ABS Live Radio Show

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:12 pm
by impact_bag
Rod Morri wrote:Week #1
Sunday November 14th 2010

Special Guest legendary Sportswriter and Author Al Barkow
with Lag and Rod Morri

http://traffic.libsyn.com/talkingolf/AB ... Nov_15.mp3


Rod,

I downloaded this link and all I heard was you talking. I can hear you asking questions to Lag and Al but no reply. It is actually a very spooky thing to listen to because you ask questions and then no sound and then you laugh and then you talk some more and then like you are are having a conversation by yourself.

I tried it in both Chome (google's browser) and Safari (Mac's browser) both were the same. Is there something wrong on my side?

Re: ABS Live Radio Show

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:49 pm
by Rod Morri
impact_bag wrote:
Rod Morri wrote:Week #1
Sunday November 14th 2010

Special Guest legendary Sportswriter and Author Al Barkow
with Lag and Rod Morri

http://traffic.libsyn.com/talkingolf/AB ... _remix.mp3


Rod,

I downloaded this link and all I heard was you talking. I can hear you asking questions to Lag and Al but no reply. It is actually a very spooky thing to listen to because you ask questions and then no sound and then you laugh and then you talk some more and then like you are are having a conversation by yourself.

I tried it in both Chome (google's browser) and Safari (Mac's browser) both were the same. Is there something wrong on my side?



Hi Impact Bag....that certainly sounds very disconcerting. I've just tested again in Safari and realised I have saved the file in stereo....my voice left channel, Lag, Al and caller on the right channel. Do you have two speakers working properly? My guess is you right speaker is playing up. I don't normally save in stereo (a mistake that I promise not to repeat) but at a guess that si where your problem will be.
Has anybody else had this problem?
Apologies for the mucking around and let me know how you go....

Rod

Re: ABS Live Radio Show/ Call - in instructions/ show #1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:02 pm
by Rod Morri
By the way, I am just uploading a re-mixed version so nobody else experiences this issue. Should be available in about 30 minutes...


Rod