Postby lagpressure » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:32 pm

Leaderboard.jpg
Leaderboard.jpg (66.18 KiB) Viewed 1028 times

A pretty strong leaderboard on Sunday!
lagpressure
Site Admin

Re: 1975 Masters/ Back Nine on Sunday

Postby Turfrider » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:13 pm

Great to see the "majestic violence" of Nicklaus' second shot one iron on the 15th hole. 242 yards, over water...nuts!

In a video looking back he says his three most memorable shots were all one irons.
Turfrider

Postby lagpressure » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:47 pm

Some pretty stellar shotmaking in just 9 holes of coverage.
Palmer hitting the pin on the 12th followed by Trevino hitting it 8 inches from the cup on the 12th.
Miller hitting the pin on 14. Jack's 1 iron almost hitting the pin on 15. Weiskopf stuffing a couple in there tight.
I like the greens not being so fast, more of a ball strikers game. All the holes playing like they should. All the shots
being required. No metal woods, no long putters, just blades and persimmon and high spinning balata balls on one
of the world's greatest tracks and event stages.

I don't see anything wrong with that version of the game of golf. No reason to have changed it up. It was perfect.
No need to fix what is not broken.

I remember watching it live on TV when I was very young. Just starting that year to enter junior age division events.
To have seen that era of golf as my first exposure to the game, I feel pretty fortunate.

Given that, there is more to come.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby LesMurray » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:35 am

How about that drive by Weiskopf on 18? That must have been over 300 yards. And under pressure to have to make birdie to tie Nicklaus - amazing.
LesMurray

Postby stevemcgee99 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:35 pm

Pretty good point about all those shots hitting the pin in just half a round - not out of all players for all days. Trevino was on the board at the beginning of the day.

It's more impressive to me that it was several different people doing it, too, than just one guy who was super-hot.

And Hale Irwin getting 9 birdies in a row and a 65 - really should have gotten that 64. (18 looks like a tough green, I guess?).

It just shows that they playing field was really great. Yes, Nicklaus won so many times but he didn't necessarily dominate the heck out of everyone. The competition was very close - very tough.
McGee
stevemcgee99

Postby norcalvol » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:30 pm

One of the greatest majors ever.

Nicklaus standing on 16 green hearing the roar behind him at 15 where Weiskopf and Miller were holing putts. Then, with Weiskopf and Miller waiting on 16 tee, Jack holes an uphill 40 foot birdie putt. On of the greatest moments in golf history.
It really shook Tom who hit short of 16 green and bogeyed. On 18 Weiskopf hit what years later he called his best drive of his life.

This 9 holes should be in a time capsule.

What is really amazing is how back in those days they had the winner AND the closest challengers in the cabin for the interview. Seeing Jack, Tom, and Johnny on the couch getting interviewed is priceless. But I remember those days (college) feeling broken hearted for Weiskopf.... so many close calls in those years. This one though was where he was perhaps truly the best in the field... but Jack literally snatched it away. Weiskopf was an exquisite player... but Nicklaus was a relentless competitor.
Accelerate forever!
norcalvol

Postby lagpressure » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:01 am

Speaking of the 16th.

One of the problems in my opinion of the super fast greens is that now the hole doesn't play properly, especially with that back left pin placement.
The slope of the green was meant to give the player a downhill putt for a tee shot that hit right of the hole. So if you went at the pin from 190 and pulled it off, you were rewarded, but if you played safe to the right, you had a downhill putt. It was not an impossible putt, but downhill putts are more difficult to make than uphill or flat putts. Also, the greens are nowhere near as perfect as today. In 75, you can often see the ball bouncing around and that adds another real element to the game. A perfectly struck putt still might not go in, and one hit slightly off line could get kicked back on line. But in spite of all that, they still shot some amazing scores out there despite less than perfect conditions on the greens and even the fairways were spotty in places, rough patches around the greens as well.

With the fast greens now in the super game, any shot right of the hole just rolls down stiff like a funnel. It's not correct in my opinion. The player that hits to the right can end up with the same reward as the player who goes at the pin. So in the Super Masters, why go at the pin?

In this example of the 75 Masters, Weiskopf goes straight at the pin because he feels he has to. He doesn't play out to the right and have the option of the ball funneling down to the pin like what we see today.

There are many examples of this kind on nonsense going on today at Augusta.... or you have the opposite where a player hits a quality shot and the ball just takes off sideways or backwards and rolls off the green punishing the player for a well played shot.

All of this makes it less of a ball strikers event and much more of a puting event.

The ball flight trajectories and green shapes are completely out of wack and really just totally irrelevant.
The course today just plays like any other regular tour event. The guy with the hot putter wins, send him home with a green jacket..end of story.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby norcalvol » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:42 am

Greens that are super fast as they are today also limits pin placements. Slower greens allow for more of the putting surface to be used for very interesting pins.
Accelerate forever!
norcalvol

Postby nfbandon » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:54 am

It is fun to see the youngsters get to see one of the greatest Sundays at The Masters. Watching it also humanized the players...I didn't remember the bad shots. Nicklaus hit his 8 iron on 14 fat, then knocked his putt/chip over the green. Miller ducked hooked his drive on 14. Weiskopf hit his pitch on 13 thin and it ran over the green.
nfbandon

Postby k2baloo » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:43 pm

nfbandon wrote:It is fun to see the youngsters get to see one of the greatest Sundays at The Masters. Watching it also humanized the players...I didn't remember the bad shots. Nicklaus hit his 8 iron on 14 fat, then knocked his putt/chip over the green. Miller ducked hooked his drive on 14. Weiskopf hit his pitch on 13 thin and it ran over the green.

Was fun to watch, but I noticed that too. A number of really poor shots sprinkled in. I need to keep that in perspective when I make bad strokes on the course. Happens to everyone, just some more than others.
k2baloo

Next

Return to Classic Golf Rewind of the Persimmon Age