Bradley Hughes Cuts Loose!

Re: Bradley Hughes Cuts Loose!

Postby Mashie72 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:17 am

Thanks for the vid. I agree & that's a really nice dynamic shot of John..To me the hands are in 2 different places one at the hip and one outside the toe line.
Attachments
Lag RHP.jpg
Lag RHP.jpg (62.83 KiB) Viewed 4871 times
Lag Stage 1.jpg
Lag Stage 1.jpg (73.88 KiB) Viewed 4875 times
"The secret is on the deck"
Mashie72

Postby nfbandon » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:35 am

This is an interesting topic to have an expanded discussion. If the hands are literally in right hip pocket, then the move is down and then around and the tempo is more 1,2 and 3. If the hands are more out the body will be rotating earlier. To avoid OTT, the shaft has to stay behind. The tempo is more 1 and 2. You can see good players doing each method.
nfbandon

Postby LesMurray » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:48 am

If you look at John at about 4.5 seconds, he has more of the look of the club coming out of the right hip

I think this position is where we strive to be at the finish of transition where we are trying to lay the club on the tabletop. Then we fire away and the hands move out away from the body, or outside the toe as you describe.
LesMurray

Postby Paul C » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:39 pm

Yes, Mashie, that is the capture of John I was talking about and and Les has the capture that comes right before yours. Agree Grady on the methods. I'll have to think about that. I just feel that pressuring down into the right foot and the hands coming down over the backswing plane as Bradley talks about; seems simultaneous. Has made a huge difference. I haven't tried it with superslotting and I wonder if slotting it deep would give the green light to let the hands "spring" out and rip down and through. Just a feel, I guess.

I'll bet I'm woefully OTT. LOL!
Paul C

Postby LesMurray » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:46 pm

Mashie72 wrote:Thanks Paul..So is either approach OK? To me they are different but both feel good.

I was thinking about your question some more. To me these are the same because the relationship of the right arm and elbow are the same for both John and Bradley. If the hands were in a different relationship, then you would look more like Furyk where his elbow is actually behind his right hip/pocket whereas with John and Bradley they have their elbow on their hip.

LesMurray

Postby stevemcgee99 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:54 pm

This conversation has made a big difference for me. I launched a couple of shots today with what seems to be actual forearm rotation - which makes me think I have not understood that at all so far.

The thoughts from Bradley about the hands out front, coupled with 'dropping the club shaft' down via forearm rotation, had the club head approaching from inside. Plus, it was a very fast (almost) snap at the ball which sent it soaring. Like a 'hip-snap' when turning right-side up in a kayak.

I couldn't keep it up, but I did experience it and it was great.
McGee
stevemcgee99

Postby twomasters » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:28 pm

Mashie72 wrote:
Paul C wrote:Here it is, fellas. This is beautiful...

https://vimeo.com/134461780

Love the flush hit. How does this fit with hitting from the right hip pocket?

Mine is talking about the shaft feeling like it is coming from the hip pocket...not the hands so much.... I show in that video the ill effect of the hands being in the pocket because then you have to get it outta there.
It will still feel like the hands are hitting from the pocket because of the pressure you have in them by having the range in the forearms/wrists that keeps the shaft behind and up
twomasters

Postby twomasters » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:35 pm

stevemcgee99 wrote:The thoughts from Bradley about the hands out front, coupled with 'dropping the club shaft' down via forearm rotation, had the club head approaching from inside. Plus, it was a very fast (almost) snap at the ball which sent it soaring. Like a 'hip-snap' when turning right-side up in a kayak.

Correct....and that goes all the way along with how Lag and myself talk about ACCELERATION
I think one of the stupidest things I have heard over the past 15 years since all this kinetic testing and such has come in...is the talk that all parts of the body begin to slow down and that even the hands slow down for strike

YES....this is true.... because if the sequence is done correctly the hands will be at the ball long before the clubhead is so they will be slowing down due to not having anywhere to move.... BUT people take this literally and they force the speed down and then completely slow and stall things into the hit.

Remember that Mod 1 and Mod 3 entail speed- rotation- hit- acceleration of everything and why we work range of motion as that creates speed.... that's the goal... to create acceleration to the end........ NOT to slow down. Bit semantic there but that's the way I read all these test studies and explanations.... because are saying slowing down is the goal and the result...however that should not be the case
twomasters

Postby Mashie72 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:10 pm

Thanks Bradley for the explanation and the new videos. Appreciate it
"The secret is on the deck"
Mashie72

Postby eagle » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:49 pm

Interesting stuff being discussed here, something I have wondered about for a long while, and starting to get some slight clarity, but I'm sure I have far to go. One lightbulb, if I am on track, is to see that the HANDS/ARMS can be far away from the body fairly early in the downswing, but this is ok only if the shaft is flat with forearm rotation.

The importance of the right elbow relative to the right hip now makes sense to me, that is, if it gets behind that border, it is "stuck," as Two explains.

Also, the recent video and discussion of F1 racers handing corners on the "Small World" thread seems to fit this discussion.
eagle

PreviousNext

Return to Bradley Hughes Cuts Loose