Bradley Hughes Cuts Loose!

Re: Bradley Hughes Cuts Loose!

Postby twomasters » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:18 pm

I will be doing lessons in early October 2015 in Greenville South Carolina at my former club Pebble Creek...
lesson dates and times available here.....
http://bradleyhughesgolf.com/index.php/ ... te-lessons

All bookings to be made via email brad@bradleyhughesgolf.com or use the website lesson booking submission form

I have also recently released two videos that can be downloaded... both videos approx 55 minutes duration

The Traits Of The Greats US$19.99
http://store.payloadz.com/details/23414 ... reats.html
tog.JPG
tog.JPG (58.52 KiB) Viewed 2921 times

The Secrets Of The Short Game US$14.99
http://store.payloadz.com/details/23769 ... crets.html
sgs.JPG
sgs.JPG (52.38 KiB) Viewed 2917 times
twomasters

Postby Steve P » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:16 pm

lagpressure wrote:Great stuff Bradley,
Thanks for posting those pics!

A weird coincidence is that Pete went to my high school. I never met him as he is a bit younger, but there are a lot of high schools in the United States..

Stranger yet is that in the Module 9 video which covers drawing and fading the ball, I was demonstrating some things on the deck with a wooden tennis racket. This was shot quite a while back. I have only played tennis a couple times but I used the racket to demonstrate clubface action so it could be seen on the video. Certainly not my tennis abilities! Just a bit crazy that Pete is now learning some ABS stuff from Bradley. Pretty cool for sure.

Tennis_Mod9.jpg

The new tech in tennis has ruined the strategy of the game. You use to have the option to hug the baseline and defend and counter or charge the net like McEnroe and press. Now it's just bash from the baseline. I can't even watch anymore it's ruined because of its one dimensional quality. There's no chance to rush the net with the increased ball speeds.
Steve P

Postby lagpressure » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:52 pm

I don't enjoy watching tennis or golf. I agree, tennis was a much more exciting game before. Obviously I feel the same about golf.

Baseball and Basketball seem fairly unchanged. The court and field have the same dimensions. Basket is the same size. Bases are the same distance. I had an interesting conversation about baseball with Barkow and how the distance of the bases is just perfect. Think of the timing of a long throw from 3rd base to first, or catcher to second for a pick off. It would just make no sense to change those dimensions. As long as the ball stays relatively the same, and wooden bats keep things in check for sure.

Basketball, should they move the 3 point line further out because of Steph Curry? Nothing wrong with the talents of a player surpassing those of players that came before. That's great, and inspiring. But would basketball be a better game if the hoop was made bigger or the ball smaller? Should the court be longer, wider?

It's this kind of sensibility that makes me want to watch modern players play with the same constraints as those who came before. I would love to see Rory or Jason play with woods and blades and a high spinning ball that performs basically the same as the past. I would love to be amazed by their talents, but hitting wedge into every par 4 is beyond boring. I have no idea if they could post the scores of the past players. Just too many skill sets have been taken off the table.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby Steve P » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:00 pm

In golf you gotta watch some of the majors at least IMO. At very least us open and masters. IMO there can be some good drama in modern golf.
Steve P

Postby lagpressure » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:26 am

Steve P wrote:In golf you gotta watch some of the majors at least IMO. At very least us open and masters. IMO there can be some good drama in modern golf.

If there is competition, there can be drama... but that goes for any sporting event. If they made the hole 2 feet wide, there would still be drama. Lots of chip ins and fairway hole outs. You could make the argument that lower scores would make it more exciting. More hole in ones etc.

I find modern golf a bore because of the limited skill set required to win, particularly in the majors. If you can drive it over 300 with modern gear, hit short irons stiff, chip and putt the lights out, you can win any event in professional golf. It's a big yawn for me.

What I miss is having a course and gear set up to where (for example):

A par four where player A drives down the left side of the fairway to open up his line to a front right pin placement behind a bunker and has to try to work a 4 iron in from that angle. If he plays down the right side there's a bunker in the fairway that would leave him too far back to go at the pin with a long iron or 4 wood. However, there is more room on the right side if he lays short of the bunker. The drive down the left side has a hazard or deep rough that makes that tee shot riskier especially for a right to left driver of the ball. With the fairway sloping slightly right to left, the shot is a faded tee shot that can hug the fairway and if kept left enough can give the player a proper line to that pin placement to attack for a birdie if needed.
The great striker plays the correct shot (drive) then has to execute a 4 iron approach and fade that into the green without having to come completely over the bunker that sits short right of the green. The player is also having to hit this faded iron off a lie where the ball is slightly above their feet making it harder to fade the ball. Any kind of OTT swing would send the ball long left of the green into a nearly impossible up and down as any ball going long left over the green would roll down a slope into a grove of trees and pine straw. So the player can either take the challenging shot at the pin from the ideal angle but with a slightly challenging lie with birdie a possibility, or then can play a safer 5 iron shot to the front left part of the green and play for par.

Player B is a long persimmon hitter that could carry the bunker on the right (260 carry) with a smashed drive but if they don't carry the bunker, the lip is too high for them to go at the green for their second so they would have to pitch out sideways or wedge out short of the green leaving another difficult third wedge shot to a tight pin off a hanging lie. However, successful drive over the bunker would give them an 8 iron approach shot from a fairly level lie and they would be able to attack that pin with the short iron shot coming directly over the bunker. But if the drive is missed right of the bunker, there is enough rough over there that they would not be able to play at the pin, as there would be no way to hold the green from there ....(irons don't have box grooves, milled faces etc) If they draw the longer drive too much, the ball hits the right to left sloping fairway and runs down into the trouble on the left. Only a perfectly struck drive over the bunker yields a slight advantage over the 250 yard drive that is played down the left side with an open shot from a better angle off the slightly contoured fairway.

Get the idea?

In the modern game, any average tour player flies the bunker on the right, and the longest hitters blast one down there 320
and play a short wedge in.. even if way right of the bunker from the rough, and their milled face boxed groove wedges make the hole another drive and wedge shot. All they have to do is swing as hard as they can and make sure the ball doesn't go left. Yawn.

So this is what is happening to all the classic courses. Moving the tees back doesn't solve the problem because the hole was designed not only for creating the proper proportions but also the shape and trajectory of the tee shots to match the slope of the fairways. So even if they move the tees back 40 yards, guys will still fly it 300 over the bunker or play right of the bunker and hit out of light or no rough with a short iron.

So now, they throw away the old courses and build 7400 yard courses that are wide open with huge greens. Yawn.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby Stu Carlburger » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:39 am

I agree 100% Lag -- although I still watch the majors because I love the majors!

I think last year's US Open @ Chambers Bay exemplified this alarming trend in golf more than any other tournament I've ever seen. Without even discussing the green, the length of the course was ludicrous -- especially considering that a guy like DJ wa STILL hitting driver wedge into 550+ yard PAR 4's.

The drama? DJ was playing a par 68 (at least ... Maybe even a par 67 or 66) and STILL couldn't muster the quality with the wedge and putter to win the dang thing! It's pathetic, in my opinion. The USGA gift wrapped that Open for him, handing it to him and he dropped it and it shattered inside the box. The problem is, ALL the elite long hitters are handed a gift, and the less so, or really short guys aren't.

The Tours and governing organizations became terrified when the ball/club combo upped the yardage. Unfortunately, the collective response to lengthen everything, and if it couldn't be lengthened, disgard it, only limited the number of players capable of winning. Had they made the decision to curb the ball, and at the same time, made course set ups more demanding accuracy wise, we very well could be living in a new golden age of golf. Instead, they're trying everything to make golf fans feel like it's a great time for golf, when all it really is a great time for the long ball.

Being long off the tee is ALWAYS an advantage, but historically that statement was always followed with a caveat: if you can hit it STRAIGHT. Now, (within reason) that caveat is gone. Being long is such a huge advantage as long as you're reasonably accurate, that players opt for length above all else. Brandal Chamblee had a great article about how from the time the tour kept stats, being in the top 20 in total driving (distance and accuracy) was directly correlated to the money list rankings. Now, that's gone.

30 yrd wide fairways with a 2-3 yard first cut followed by 4" deep rough is gone. Guys that hit it down those fairways out there 260-270 were great ... Now they're almost 100 yards back hitting woods into 500+ yard par 4's!

Sad!
Stu Carlburger

Postby lagpressure » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:17 am

Golf 3.0 is fine for those who like it. I don't, I prefer Golf 2.0. Some prefer the hickory 1.0 version.

Ideally, there should be all the versions readily available for participation, competition both professional and amateur.
Isn't that what they do in other sports like ski racing? Downhill, Slalom, Giant Slalom and so on? Each with different courses, protocols and equipment restrictions?

This one way golf is played shoved down our throats is nonsense.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby Steve P » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:07 pm

I would like to see them set up the courses with real rough. I think that alone would make a difference like the Canadian Open did that one year where all the players complained. I don't watch golf much anymore but I do like the majors. We will have to see what happens at Oakmont. I would definitely watch a persimmon pro tour if there were such a thing.
I just think the main reason you get bomb and gouge is theres not enough trouble in play off the tee. When was the last time you saw a PGA pro have to wedge his ball back in play from real rough? Grow real rough and things would be very different imo. Its professional golf so make the penalty greater for an errant drive. The year the Canadian Open did it the guys were wedging out sideways after errant tee balls. I'd like to see a lot more of that for sure. It would make it less of a short game contest and place a greater emphasis on accuracy. It seems like they don't want to do it because they like having -20 scores for marketing purposes. :ugeek:
Steve P

Postby Stu Carlburger » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:13 pm

I flipped over to the fed ex to hear them say Phil hit 7, 7, and today had 5 fairways and was right near the lead. I saw him make one swing, with a fwy wood off the tee and he missed it left.
Stu Carlburger

Postby Steve P » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:16 pm

Stu, if they grew some rough you would not see missed fairways leading. In defense of the mod pros first cut counts as a missed fairway but it could be an almost perfect shot.
Steve P

PreviousNext

Return to Bradley Hughes Cuts Loose