1986 US Open Full Final Round Coverage

Re: 1986 US Open Full Final Round Coverage

Postby aiguille » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:49 am

Two, I have been meaning to ask you for a while....you have an amazing array of mementoes from the past, yardage books, videos of Frank Phillips, golf clubs, magazine articles,photographs etc..its almost like you knew that someday there would be an audience at ABS who would really appreciate it! :D

Whatever the reason, good on you, and yes would love to see the pro yardage book.
aiguille

Postby twomasters » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:45 am

Thankyou aiguille,
I always thought it good to hang onto a lot of the stuff I had.....there was one VHS tape I was thinking of the other day which would have been awesome...but I have no idea where it is or what happened to it.
It was the video of the 1945 PGA Championship that Byron Nelson won over Sam Byrd in the 36 hole final in Ohio....it was incredible...about 45 minutes of film from the event..when it was matchplay....qualifying, early rounds and the finals.......I have never seen it before or since that day on tv, youtube, golf channel..nowhere
It would have been an awesome addition to the site....maybe one day it will declare itself found but I am not holding out hope as I have looked everywhere..

I will post the yardage book from Shinnecock Hills when I can scan it in....for those that haven't seen a tour yardage book it will be some different insight into how players go about their business on the course.
twomasters

Postby freddiec » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:47 am

Lag,thanks for proving this video! I still remember watching the Sunday round back in 86. One of the best Opens I can remember. Great that Bradley played in that, made the cut and did well. Very very impressive on that course! I love watching old classic tourneys.
Fred
freddiec

Postby bentshaft » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:58 am

aiguille wrote:Two, I have been meaning to ask you for a while....you have an amazing array of mementoes from the past, yardage books, videos of Frank Phillips, golf clubs, magazine articles,photographs etc..its almost like you knew that someday there would be an audience at ABS who would really appreciate it! :D

Whatever the reason, good on you, and yes would love to see the pro yardage book.

I have been thinking the very same thing, aiguille...almost like a destiny type thing...
And all of us here reap the joy and benefits!
Thanks for everything, Hugo---and happy birthday!

bent
bob
bentshaft

Postby BomGolf222 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:13 pm

I watched through the first 45 minutes or so, and as just a general feeling, the thing that really sticks out to me, as it does in watching the older golf in general, is the lack of straight lines. It seems that the interest was in the shot at hand, not what was required to actually hit the shot. I always think of the Michelangelo quote where he said that he wasn't really a sculptor, that the sculpture was already there, and that he was just knocking the bits off the outside of it. I always work towards approaching the game like that when sitting into a shot- I try to find my way into the shot as opposed to making the shot fit me. This seems like an instinctive part of the older game, especially the shot makers of the Persimmon/blade era.
The modern game expects results based on a formula- if I do this then I'll get that. It's all parallel lines and angles. Looking at Jack walk and work his way into his shots, I really get the sense that he's seeing something that's already there, very much in the way that Michelangelo did. Like any art form, the best do it the same way, I think. So I suppose, the picture creates the action, and the action then creates the picture. So the picture comes first? Would this be an answer to the intent question?
BomGolf222

Postby twomasters » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:28 pm

I couldn't get over how much better Hal Sutton's swing appeared to be in my eyes with a persimmon in his hand.
twomasters

Postby lagpressure » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:49 pm

86.jpg
86.jpg (221.37 KiB) Viewed 4004 times

That's quite a leader board
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby freddiec » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:45 am

Correction on my brain fart comment above. I knew Bradley played in the Open in the Mid 90s, not the one in 86. Duh..
Fred
freddiec

Postby lagpressure » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:42 pm

The commentators of course noted how vital it is to keep the ball in the fairway, and better yet to position the ball into the correct side of the fairway. Sutton was not driving the ball as well as usual and it cost him. Crenshaw on the ninth found trouble off the tee and had to hack out of the rough leaving what looked like about 120 yards in for his third. It's a long hole and you just have to get the ball in play to have a chance of getting on the green. It was a great save he made, making that crucial putt and turned 3 under on the front. Some great golf there.

As the leaders make the turn, Lanny Watkins is lighting it up at 5 under for the day going into 16 and pulls within a shot looking to post the "number in the clubhouse". Norman makes a great birdie in #7 to show he is still interested in winning.

The wind is kicking up for the back nine, blowing about 20 mph.. so conditions are getting more difficult. Trevino's 3 wood into the par 5 fifth was impressive knocking it on the green from 265. Great stuff there. He just doesn't miss shots unless there is a real reason, such as his ball landing in a fairway divot on #9 which ended up costing him a bogey. Certainly a bad break there. I loved the swing he made driving it off the 9th. Working the ball right to left shaping the drive for the situation and it was really amazing to see him hitting it right with Bob Tway who I know was pretty long.

All in all the ball control demonstrated by these guys is just something that has been lost in the modern game.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby CaptainChaos » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:45 am

It's amazing how much has changed about the game in such a short span of time. What a shame.

Captain Chaos
CaptainChaos

PreviousNext

Return to 1986 US Open Shinnecock Complete Final Round Coverage