Henry Picard The Hershey Hurricane

Re: Henry Picard The Hershey Hurricane

Postby eagle » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:16 pm

Dani said
Keeping my wedges crossed that nature takes its course and leaves my peeps and my $#!T alone

I hope it turned out OK.

Hershey Hurricane...I've ordered the book, looking forward to the read.
eagle

Postby eagle » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:24 pm

The book came in the mail recently. Everything John said in his review I agree with. Seamus does a great job of conveying what a fine man Picard was, as well as a top golfer who could compete and beat those in his era....Nelson, Hogan , Snead, and others. But he would teach and support them also. As he said of his lesson he gave Snead....that cost him more than any lesson he ever gave. The fact that Hogan dedicated his book
to Picard speaks volumes, as well as recommending him for the head pro job at Seminole, saying "Pic is my best friend."

The genealogy aspect of teaching is interesting also. Apparently Picard was greatly influnced by Alex Morrison, and Picard in turn helped Hogan , Snead, and Jack Grout, Beth Daniel, and many others. This line of influence occurred to me....Morrison-Picard-Grout-Nicklaus-Norman-Hughes-ABS students. Is that a stretch?

Seamus states..."Pic was the best of the best." He makes a good case for it.
eagle

Postby lagpressure » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:46 am

It sure was a very pleasant and educational read. It's certainly a must read for anyone interested in the history of the game particularly anything beyond the age of hickory.

Picard should be an inspiration to all.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby twomasters » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:44 am

TheHersheyHurricane wrote:Please tell the man from Seminole that I'm 1/2 way through a second book and would like to talk with him. My contact info is in the back of book. Also, please let him know that John Birmingham from Seminole and Oakmont wrote the foreword, and is mentioned significantly in the last chapter of the book. I'd imagine he'll know JB. Get this book. If you like "old school," thi is it all the way!

I will ...and next time I see him come in with his stuff I will see what I can do to help out
twomasters

Postby TheHersheyHurricane » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:52 am

Gents (and ladies), Thought you'd like to hear this recent radio interview: http://bit.ly/qLxhBh Gracias. McGee
TheHersheyHurricane

Previous

Return to Henry Picard The Hershey Hurricane