Mickey Wright

Re: Mickey Wright

Postby Turfrider » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:33 pm

Turfrider

Postby Range Rat » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:06 pm

Thanks for the link Turfrider, appreciate it. Putting hip flexion to good use.
output_5lMSuz.gif
output_5lMSuz.gif (296.26 KiB) Viewed 392 times
You're ahead of where you were, and behind where you're going.
Range Rat

Postby twomasters » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:06 am

This is a great read also...some good thoughts about post impact and the modern swing

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/we-fin ... key-wright
twomasters

Postby k2baloo » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:15 am

twomasters wrote:This is a great read also...some good thoughts about post impact and the modern swing

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/we-fin ... key-wright

Terrific read. Would recommend to anyone.
k2baloo

Postby lagpressure » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:05 am

I watch the way players keep their feet planted, their backs perfectly straight and rigid with their lower bodies hardly moving at all, They look overly "leveraged," It's just the opposite of how I learned, which is the swing happening from the ground up.

I've suggested she turn her shoulders as far as they'll go and to turn her hips, too, and for heaven's sake, let that left heel come off the ground. But the main thing I've told her is to avoid lifting weights and to simply hit a lot of balls. There is no substitute for being "golf strong," developing the muscles you actually use in the swing.

"I want you to make this branch sing," he said. To make a loud noise when I swished the branch through the air, I had to apply as much speed as I could, smooth but forceful. What a wonderful first lesson that was. It taught me the sensation of swinging through the ball, not at it.

My swing might have had style in terms of rhythm and tempo, but in truth it was somewhat manufactured. But it was a swing for a lifetime, and boy, did it work.

Right hand under the shaft in the "tray" position at the top,

He handed me a home-made teaching device, a heavy metal ball welded to the end of a chain. It was like a convict's ball and chain, except it had a grip on it. He said it would improve my rhythm. "Just make your normal swing," he said. I guess I swung it like I did that eucalyptus branch, because the ball broke off the chain and flew down the range. If it had hit somebody, it surely would have killed them. I looked over at Harvey, and his mouth was wide open. "I don't think this will work for you," he said.

Long irons were always the strength of my game, and that shot, which I hit to 10 feet, gave me goose bumps. It had a surreal quality to it. It came off exactly how I saw it in my mind's eye, the quality of the contact and the ball flight, with the perfect trajectory and curvature, as good as it got for me. I won the tournament, and though it was far from my greatest victory, I spent the rest of my career trying to duplicate the feel of that shot.

I LOVED THE CHALLENGE of hitting long irons

But golf I thought was too precious to bet on. It's a holy thing to me. Betting dirties it a little. I always thought the game was interesting enough to stand on its own.

San Diego Country Club, a tremendous course and a special one to me. On the par-4 18th hole, a California girl, Haley Moore, boomed a drive out there and had a wedge left to the green. At my best, I needed a 2-iron. The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. With that 2-iron, I was presented with strategic choices. Which way do I curve the ball? Do I hit it high or low? Should I maybe hit a fairway wood? For Haley, there really was one option: hit the wedge

THERE'S GOT TO BE GOLF IN HEAVEN. I hope I get there and that it's just me and my 2-iron.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby Turfrider » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:23 am

One thing from her instructional book I found interesting was repeated mention of feeling the momentum of the club on the backswing. She preferred the low/slow/wide takeaway and says that you let the momentum of the club complete the backswing.

I also enjoy this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fya8yZRHek Mickey appears at the 45 second mark with several of her swings. You get a sense of why she was so dominant. Maybe the comparison to earlier swings isn't so fair but the difference is clear. I see little slop in her swing, would seem to be a firm grip with great acceleration to the finish.
Turfrider

Previous

Return to Public Forum- Concepts in Advanced Ball Striking