What if You Could Invent Golf?

What if You Could Invent Golf?

Postby norcalvol » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:47 am

The equipment debate is raging internationally.
Terms like 'rollback' and 'bifurcation' are gaining additional meanings.

Former tour player Phil Blackmar has written another well-reasoned post in which he captures his view of HOW to settle the debate in the form of a hypothetical. His ideas are consistent with many expressed and debated here on the ABS Forum; some are a bit different.

So, ask yourself --- what would YOUR Golf 1.0 look like, and how would it be different or similar to what Phil Blackmar proposes?
Accelerate forever!

Re: What if You Could Invent Golf?

Postby k2baloo » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:02 am

Loved reading that!

I'm with him on most points.
Smaller, cheaper courses
Higher-spinning ball. Standard ball specifications. Golf is the only game I can think of where we don't all use the same ball.
Simplify the equipment so there's less R&D and change over time.
Shrink the driver head and ban trampoline effect.

Postby LesMurray » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:21 am

Did John take over Phil's body? :lol:

I can certainly agree with most of his ideas. His tenant that golf is a game of skills and that the game should be a test of all those skills is what I believe as well. The constraints on course design I wonder if those could be supported - how do you technology-proof a hole or course?

I think some things I would add to Golf 1.0 in addition to most of Phil's points would be some type of measurable characteristics around ball and club. These would most likely be historically based to achieve a desired maximum distance and ball flight characteristics. Probably something based on COR of ball and club, depth of dimple, layout of dimple, number of dimples. I don't think the current Iron Byron method is a suitable measuring device.

It could even be that a course could select the appropriate ball for their length thus distance becomes relative to the course at hand. This way you could have courses suited for the hickory game, courses for the steel game, and courses for the super-golf game.

Postby lagpressure » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:37 am

I still think the game needs to split. It's just too far down the road with super golf to turn back. Too much time has gone by, too much time and money invested and you have a lot of young people and new golfers who have only played super golf.

The classic game needs support... but it's not hard to bring it back. People just have to play it. The courses are there. Plenty of old equipment to get it back going again. If it grows, new companies could make new stuff to suit if they deemed the market viable.

That low compression Wilson Ball is good start. Could change the dimple pattern, but it's plenty soft. Any new classic balls could just be stamped CB (classic ball)

What worked before would work again. Simplify the agronomy. Let the courses be more natural. A couple big national pro events would start the more serious conversation. All the other sports and games do it. Golf is no different. New simple rule book like TRGA.

Let the USGA do what they want. Super golf will be more popular which is fine.
Site Admin

Postby stevemcgee99 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:07 pm

There's a Duo 'Spin' - I don't know enough about dimples to evaluate it, but at least they had the idea.

I posted this on my Traditional Golf facebook page. With a photo of Chi Chi about to pound one with everything he's got.

Postby lagpressure » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:35 pm

It is nice to see Blackmar talking about it. For some reason, the whole issue seems to be in the news a lot lately. Not sure what triggered it suddenly.
Could it be things Bradley and I said 10 years ago bubbling to the surface finally? :lol:
Site Admin

Postby Frozen Divots » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:50 am

11 club maximum

No use of a Rules Official in events. Know the rules or stay home

No greens books

Have cart girls acually know the course and have her approach people at place where there are normal back ups. Don’t stop people by a green when others are behind waiting on approach shots, etc

City owned courses, etc, need to tap the community to help and make things cheaper for kids, etc. Instead of charging youth and school team kids for course use, have them help on weekends, etc, on course maintenance issues. More kids can play and they learn a work ethic and will possibly actually respect the course they play. School teams could have no costs as long as each student gets so many volunteer hours throughout the year.

Provide tax breaks for golf equipment manufacturers that put more money into golf courses and the game itself. Treat golf like an art, not a sport.

Treat school golf differently. Biased funding, poor season weather kills it up north. In Minnesota the high schools teams already started. We have snow and 25 degrees. Kids don’t sign up. And make sure the coaches are ACTUALLY golfers...geez...
Frozen Divots

Return to Public Forum- Concepts in Advanced Ball Striking