Playing glasses...

Playing glasses...

Postby Range Rat » Wed May 16, 2018 5:47 am

Any of you ABS nut cases ever change your bifocals to have the reader portion at the top of the lens instead of bottom?

Wearing prescription progressive-transition bifocal lenses daily, but non prescription drugstore sunglasses for golf. At address the ball is at a squirrely distance- it's difficult to know if ball is depressed a little into the grass, or sitting up a little, so I have to bend down a little to see. :lol:

Can't use my daily prescription glasses as head motion in the swing along with some extension and flexion makes the ball pass through the reader and non-reader areas of the lenses, a dizzying proposition. Been considering getting some new specs and switch the top and bottom. I don't want to use just a prescription sunglass lens for distance because I still want to be able to see phone, scorecard, etc.

Anyone done this? Just recently I heard that some skilled trade people that work in tight spaces switch, and the practice of switching has been around for a long time.

I guess the only drawback is having to dip your head to read instead of the usual elevating. Oh well, might be a small price to pay to have a clear ball in your sights.

Thoughts? Or is just a matter of sucking it up and learning how to play with my normal prescription glasses. :)
You're ahead of where you were, and behind where you're going.
Range Rat

Re: Playing glasses...

Postby hanisch » Wed May 16, 2018 11:56 am

Google the famous snooker player from the 1970s, Ray Reardon. He used to wear these crazy big glasses while playing. Not sure if he had bifocals in them, but you might get some ideas from looking at images of him.
hanisch

Postby Mashie72 » Wed May 16, 2018 3:42 pm

Hey RR I feel your pain..Same problem for me. 20/15 vision for the first 50+ years and then progressive lenses.

Couldn't play golf with them either without dizziness during the swing. I had a pair of prescription sunglasses made and removed the bottom reading lenses. So I could see clearly from 10 ft. to infinity. I keep a pair of cheaters handy for close up stuff.

But last Fall I decided to suck it up and play with the progressives. Took some time but no dizziness now and glad I did
"The secret is on the deck"
Mashie72

Postby norcalvol » Wed May 16, 2018 4:36 pm

I'm 0.5+ distance and +2.5 reading. I have graduated prescription lenses (reading on bottom).
I have no problem playing with them on. Yes, the first few swings were a little bit funky... but when I once played a round and didn't realize I had them on until late in the round, I was fine. They don't bother me at all. You don't need to see the golf ball with any precision during a swing anyway... except while putting and they are a great help there.
Accelerate forever!
norcalvol

Return to Public Forum- Concepts in Advanced Ball Striking