Traditional U.S. Open Setup...really?

Re: Traditional U.S. Open Setup...really?

Postby Ded2Journey » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:30 am

Sit down and watch this I must...thanks for digging that up!

Anyone interested in an over/under pool for fun? See if we can guess the winning score? You know...the Jelly Bean game. HAHA
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby lagpressure » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:26 am

nfbandon wrote:Mickelson said the fescue off the intermediate cut was so thick all you could do was punch out. That is old school. :D

I'll believe it when I see it.
Probably punch out of the rough with a wedge onto the green with another birdie look.
I see that one time and it's change the channel to something more interesting.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby Range Rat » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:18 pm

lagpressure wrote:
nfbandon wrote:Mickelson said the fescue off the intermediate cut was so thick all you could do was punch out. That is old school. :D

I'll believe it when I see it.
Probably punch out of the rough with a wedge onto the green with another birdie look.
I see that one time and it's change the channel to something more interesting.

:lol:

Lag, somehow, some way you have to get yourself into the broadcast booth for the Open. Anyone know a biggie-wiggie from Fox.
You're ahead of where you were, and behind where you're going.
Range Rat

Postby lagpressure » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:35 pm

I really miss watching a proper US Open where every shot was like walking a tightrope. It was so full of tension, drama and excitement.

The Super Golf dumbed down version US Open has gone the way of The Masters.

Dumbing down the majors has been just a dumb idea.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby k2baloo » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:43 am

https://youtu.be/V-Xp3zecap4

Tiger reiterates what he said in that first clip. Course is much longer, wider fairways, fewer trees.

Interview doesn't start til after the 4 minute mark
k2baloo

Postby Ded2Journey » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:07 am

Yeah, I've been watching a lot of the practice rounds...figured I might glean something. Well, right now the greens are holding a little to well. However, I've seen a number of balls being handed back to players that have hit it in the hay. I haven't seen anyone hit out of the stuff yet, which tells me how bad it must really be. If they can dry these greens out well by tomorrow...these guys are going to struggle. However, I have a feeling that the USGA will let them score for a couple of days before they toughen things up.

Also, they have had to deal with wind and rain all morning...seems that a good draw on the tee time will pay huge dividends on this course. At least given the free reign mother nature has out there.

Should be interesting to say the least...but based on Tiger's comments, I'm guessing this will be another bomb gouge...with diabolical putting (assuming dry fast conditions).
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby nfbandon » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:30 am

https://www.cbssports.com/golf/news/201 ... ock-hills/

Course looks spectacular. Even in the "good ole" days, they would let the course dry out over the course of the tournament.

A bit of rain today it says, so it might give away some good scores tomorrow, but by the weekend it should be quite firm and fast. I like seeing those winds up to 20mph.

Should be a great tournament to watch. Whoever wins is going to have to be very good around the greens.
nfbandon

Postby turn » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:02 am

and ... they’re underway!

Aaron Baddeley ripping it up at -2 after 5 holes. Can anyone catch him?!?
turn

Postby Ded2Journey » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:08 am

So far ball is holding greens rather easily. Just saw J. Rose hit an 8 iron to a heavily elevated green with a 12mph tailwind hold 3 feet past it's landing spot. :roll:
Ded2Journey

Postby LesMurray » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:03 am

Just saw Rory in the deep stuff try to hack one out. Went rough to rough.

Looking like a real Open course so far. Leaders at -2, the other end is well behind. Rory +7, Day +6
LesMurray

PreviousNext

Return to Public Forum- Concepts in Advanced Ball Striking