1953 Keep Em in the Fairway

1953 Keep Em in the Fairway

Postby Range Rat » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:12 pm

Had to stop and take another good look at Snead's lead thumb. What on earth kind of thumb is this called.... :o
allthumbs.jpg
allthumbs.jpg (23.05 KiB) Viewed 591 times
You're ahead of where you were, and behind where you're going.
Range Rat

Re: 1953 Keep Em in the Fairway

Postby nfbandon » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:38 pm

Short. Not surprising Snead was very flexible. Without the short thumb his clubhead may have hit the ground at the top. :lol:
nfbandon

Postby Range Rat » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:16 pm

I get the short thumb, I just haven't seen that amount of overall curvature. It almost looks arthritic in the thumb base. I play short thumb too but don't have no where near that amount of curvature, wonder if that is a double jointed thumb. I'll have to break and reset my thumb to get amount of bend :lol: , will be on the look out for other golfers that can do that.
Range Rat

Postby IronOfZion » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:11 am

Hi RR, Rats have strange thumbs :)

I can do a Snead thumb just fine:
IMG_4425[3563].jpg
IMG_4425[3563].jpg (82.6 KiB) Viewed 538 times
The path to enlightenment is paved with good intentions.
IronOfZion

Postby lagpressure » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:48 am

The short thumb vs long thumb basically limits or increases the amount of angle between the clubshaft and left forearm. From there, it depends upon how strong or comfortable one is in firing out those angles into impact. If you are strong and quick, then a long thumb can work fine and cover a greater range of motion. The short thumb can be used for short and quick, or longer and slower release.

The greater the angle, the more range of motion and potential for power and thrust, but one also has to have the guns to deal with it.
Even if one has the "guns", certainly Snead did.... some players may not feel comfortable with the responsibility that comes with those angles.

Another consideration would be how much wristcock any particular player has access to with their own wrist joints, and then adjust accordingly.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby Range Rat » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:16 pm

IronOfZion wrote:Hi RR, Rats have strange thumbs :)

I can do a Snead thumb just fine:

Nice IOZ, but very puzzling for sure. Are you human, or human-like? :lol:

I couldn't do that if I tried so what does that say about my thumbs, are they deformed, or does our thumb's range of motion in the distal phalanx reduce to a binary situation- humans can either do that, or they can't with nothing in between. Any thumb experts out to there shed some light here, never saw this before. :)
Range Rat

Return to Public Forum- Concepts in Advanced Ball Striking