Mobility and Flexibility Soapbox...

Re: Mobility and Flexibility Soapbox...

Postby eagle » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:48 am

Ded2Journey wrote:As I finish edits on my second mobility video...I want to share a thought on posture with you. Thanks to Stu C. for keeping me on track...

SpineAnatomy.png

If this is how our spine is naturally shaped, why are modern teachers saying we should look like this over the golf ball?

golf-posture-drill.jpg

Instead of like this?

stances2.jpg

Seems off to me...

Good point.
That mis-teaching was in my psyche for years until recently....had the mental mage of Adam Scott as a model.
But the pics you posted of those other 3 ( Hogan, Snead, Nicklaus) clearly show otherwise.
eagle

Postby Ded2Journey » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:02 am

Same here...but as I make the adjustments "lightbulbs" go on... :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby IronOfZion » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:33 am

Ded2Journey wrote:Ever wonder where your distance is going? Did you know the spine was curved, ALOT? Did you know the joints have natural limits? Did you know great ball strikers in the past would use this to their advantage?

Believe it or not, there are ways to lock/unlock ROM within all joints of the body using muscular torque. There have been books written in great detail about this. What if you're locking down/loosening the wrong joints?

Not because you aren't doing it right...but because you lack the mobility/flexibility to lock one area and move another. Simply, you're getting old... :D

The good news is that we are discovering the body (although cellular regeneration may slow). you can recover much if not all of your mobility/flexibility/strength.

Again, folks with a decent history of injury would benefit from this the most...but we can ALL use a little bit of help here.

I learned a lot from Kelly Starrett, That protection/stabilization technique of using (mostly external) rotation of hips and shoulders flirts with module #2 as well as with 'cohesive body tension'. (At least I think it does...)
P.S. If (like me), you sometimes struggle with posture during every day activities like sitting or sleeping... His 'Supple leopard' book is a highly recommended read. It translates to golf and a whole lot of other sports too...
The path to enlightenment is paved with good intentions.
IronOfZion

Postby Ded2Journey » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:45 am

Absolutely, no doubt about it. As we age...we get tight. Most people don't have the knowledge to know that can all be changed by attending to your body like you would a vehicle. Regular oil changes and tune ups are required to keep yourself running strong. Probably not the best analogy...but we can all be Supple Leopards...it's actually in our DNA. The sad part is our sedentary culture does this to ourselves...oh well, it is what it is.
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby twomasters » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:48 am

I have a workout based around the modules (mod 1-6) if anyone is interested.
It was designed by a trainer who I did the drills with to co-incide with the working of the mods- for those who also enjoy working out
There are videos and worksheets. If you would like to receive it just paypal $19.99 to bradleyhughesgolf@gmail.com with a note (workout drills) and I can forward the info onto you
twomasters

Postby fontaine32 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:27 pm

A lot of people focus on backswing shoulder turn flexibility, but forget to have a flexible left side to be able to turn through the shot if you're a right hander. If you're getting locked out on the follow through and it feels tight, better get to work on the left side or you'll lose distance,accuracy and might hurt yourself as you get older. If you have a 130 degree shoulder turn it doesn't matter if you're tight through the ball. I do a lat/oblique stretch for the left side and gently stretch in a chair to the left with my upper body while keeping my lower body stable. Start slowly of course.
fontaine32

Postby Ded2Journey » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:44 am

fontaine32 wrote:A lot of people focus on backswing shoulder turn flexibility, but forget to have a flexible left side to be able to turn through the shot if you're a right hander. If you're getting locked out on the follow through and it feels tight, better get to work on the left side or you'll lose distance,accuracy and might hurt yourself as you get older. If you have a 130 degree shoulder turn it doesn't matter if you're tight through the ball. I do a lat/oblique stretch for the left side and gently stretch in a chair to the left with my upper body while keeping my lower body stable. Start slowly of course.

You bring a great point up here...both in the concept of technique and "holistic" balance. Most of our bodies are actually out of balance because we are typically dominated by one side (not good for an ABSer either, gotta learn how to slam that door shut without fear--requiring a bit of mobility). Unfortunately, in our society...we just don't use our bodies enough to build both sides.

How do you achieve that balance? Just a little bit of work...

That is why it is so amazing how far we have come at understanding the body, how it moves, and how to fix it without surgery. The body is amazing...you are amazing...unlock your true potential.

FINAL THOUGHT: Age is only a number. I know 45-55+ year old guys doing this stuff still killing it on the professional mountain biking circuit...

My Colorado Coach is fantastic...and one of those aforementioned 45+ers...
http://www.coloradogolffitnessclub.com/
Ded2Journey

Postby Range Rat » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:11 am

How is this even possible, to be in back of, and in front of, yourself at the same time.... :lol:
image005.jpg
image005.jpg (37.23 KiB) Viewed 165 times
You're ahead of where you were, and behind where you're going.
Range Rat

Postby Mashie72 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:00 pm

....when you have your head up your ..... :lol:
"The secret is on the deck"
Mashie72

Previous

Return to Public Forum- Concepts in Advanced Ball Striking