A Testament to ABS

A Testament to ABS

Postby M_easy » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:27 pm

Good Evening Everyone,

I have been on abs for about 3 years and have never truly played with the old gear. I purchased an abs'd set from a member here and they sat in the garage due to me being too prideful. After a slump, I brought them out about a month ago and the results have been unreal. I am hitting my ABS Spalding synchro blades the best I have hit any irons in my life. I play to a 3 handicap, and with these I think being a +3 would be possible. For those wondering about distance, I hit an abs 7 iron today 190 down wind.

I have been beating my friends who are modern gear junkies and decent 3-5 handicaps as well. They don't talk about equipment with me anymore :lol: :lol: :lol:

My only issue now is a driver. I absolutely can't stand my frying pan Taylormade m2. It goes a mile, but so inconsistent, while my iron game is as solid as a rock. Im not the biggest fan of using a persimmon wood, but i might have to bite the bullet. Give me some advice guys, I think someone on here was able to abs titleist 975's a while back???

Either way, thank you Lag and abs family for helping me become a better player when I thought I had reached my potential. I have been posting 72-75 on 6700-7100 yard courses the last month and am very excited about the future. If I can tackle the modern driver issue, I will be complete!
M_easy

Re: A Testament to ABS

Postby k2baloo » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:48 pm

Congrats on the improvement.
Hitting persimmon is much more satisfying than modern drivers IMO. I have a 54* lie angle Wishon modern driver, but haven't used it in 2 Months because I prefer my persimmons. I hit persimmon about 25 yards shorter than my modern driver, but it's more enjoyable and accurate.
I have a flat, modern driver, 3w, and 2h. I'd happily sell them to you if you have any interest. I can also build new ones to your custom specs. Honestly though, if you love your ABS blades, I imagine pairing them with ABS persimmons would work great. Best of luck!
k2baloo

Postby LesMurray » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:56 pm

If you want to play a modern driver, check out what Ded2 and StuCarlburger are doing. They are developing a modern driver that is playable to ABS fundamentals.

They were finding the same thing that you see, you either are dialed into your irons or dialed into you driver, but with modern design it's very hard to be dialed into both. Stu is designing a driver that can be more in tune with your irons and thus improve your playability. I spent an evening with Stu recently on a visit to Austin, TX and we got into some of his ideas. He makes me want to go out and buy backweights to test it out.

I would say reach out to Stu and just see what he's got cooking.
LesMurray

Postby fontaine32 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:18 pm

Search bang golf online. Look for the spring face driver. 4 degrees flatter (56*) and put a steel shaft in it. I had them search for the flattest driver head they could find and it spec'd out to 55* with a 360cc head. It's titanium but more mass behind the sweets spot obviously because the smaller head. The price is right too. I had to order another one because I jarred something loose in the head after like 8 years. I was wondering why my 2 iron was going farther than my driver.
fontaine32

Postby fontaine32 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:44 pm

They're actually 55* lie angle now. 195g head weight.
fontaine32

Return to Public Forum- Concepts in Advanced Ball Striking