The Ben Hogan Golf Swing

Re: The Ben Hogan Golf Swing

Postby LesMurray » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:58 am

One thing you have talked about with Hogan is his quick tempo being a key to his swing. During my range session I figured out how to add a little more speed to my swing. I found the key for me was not quickening the move into the ball, but rather to quicken the initial take away from the ball in the backswing. The extra momentum from this speed helped better set the club at the top and gave me the time to make a quality transition to the downswing.

I think that is where I would get hurt in the past, I was trying to speed up the swing from the transition and wasn't able to consistently slot the club. By speeding it up right from the takeaway, along with doing the "fling" provided that extra bit of delay at the top to make the transition.
LesMurray

Postby lagpressure » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:11 am

The whip crack directional change at P1 is the key. Needs to happen quickly or it won't work pressure wise.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby Range Rat » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:33 pm

We know Lag and Two often speak about Hogan pressuring off the ground with his legs to accelerate through the strike, which is good stuff, feels like a scissoring move to me. Here is eyes-on first hand reporting by Jackie Burke Jr. about this very thing. I love this series with Elkington, it's like we are in the room too with a golf legend. Of course all the modern day Doppler guys will probably say Hogan didn't know what he was doing, but eyes-on is eyes-on. Enjoy you ABS knuckleheads......and......Happy Thanksgiving. Go easy on the Tums... :lol:

You're ahead of where you were, and behind where you're going.
Range Rat

Postby lagpressure » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:18 pm

Range Rat wrote:We know Lag and Two often speak about Hogan pressuring off the ground with his legs to accelerate through the strike, which is good stuff, feels like a scissoring move to me. Here is eyes-on first hand reporting by Jackie Burke Jr. about this very thing. I love this series with Elkington, it's like we are in the room too with a golf legend. Of course all the modern day Doppler guys will probably say Hogan didn't know what he was doing, but eyes-on is eyes-on. Enjoy you ABS knuckleheads......and......Happy Thanksgiving. Go easy on the Tums... :lol:

Jackie talks about how long and tough that finishing hole was at Merion. Hogan hitting a 1 iron approach and Fazio coming up short of the green... I'm assuming he couldn't even reach the green in two.

I think when the US Open was there a few years back, the guys were hitting 6 or 7 irons from that spot where the plaque is in the fairway. Of course the modern drivers are going 50 yards past that spot now.

Long iron play from the fairways is all but missing from the Super Golf game of today... the true acid test of a great golf swing under pressure.
A wedge or short iron shot will never be as dramatic or awe inspiring as what the prior generations had to endure when playing such golf holes.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby lagpressure » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:59 pm

h1.jpeg
h1.jpeg (31.56 KiB) Viewed 138 times

A picture tells a thousand words.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby lagpressure » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:01 pm

Outside of the problems of this website, I'm thrilled to announce that my left elbow is 100% fully healed up. It literally took about 18 months and I am glad
I was able to get it done without surgery or something more invasive. It's hard to not use your elbow because it gets used for just about everything.

That being said, I'll be home soon and will get started on shooting a Hogan based or focused series of videos and putting together an instruction class that targets these critical elements of Hogan's action.

Because of the efficiency of Hogan's action, it's actually fairly simple and direct. The essential swing or critical elements can be taught in three distinct moves.

Of course it will be fully fleshed out to the best of my knowledge. I think something much more comprehensive than anything currently available... otherwise I wouldn't go about undertaking it. A challenge for sure, but one that I feel is needed. Also, the cameras today are so much better than when I was shooting the ABS Modules, so the clarity and video fidelity will be excellent. I also have new editing software that makes the whole process much more efficient. I'm excited and motivated to move this forward!

Hogan44.gif
Hogan44.gif (594.79 KiB) Viewed 80 times
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby ballturf » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:16 pm

Lag what is the editing software do you use. I’m. Very interested in that software. Would you be so kind and share that information with me.

BallTurf
The only way to permanently learn a motor skill is thru REPETITION !
ballturf

Postby ballturf » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:28 pm

Hi Lag

Can you tell me what editing software your using. I would like to use it as well when I send you my videos.

Thanks
BallTurf
8-) 8-)
The only way to permanently learn a motor skill is thru REPETITION !
ballturf

Postby lagpressure » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:22 pm

The editing software I am using now is Movavi. It's much better quality than imovie but has the ease and simplicity of it. The HD capabilities are more like Final Cut Pro, but without all the nonsense or complexities. What I like about it most is you can load in clips or files from multiple cameras that were shot at the same time... which you can't do with imovie. FCP allows you to do that but it's much more complex. The older FCP 7 was set up with a visual timeline while the new FCP ditched that in favor of frames and windows and not very user friendly (to me).

Another thing I like about Movavi is that the output options are simple and straightforward with the common basic file formats people use. Both imovie and FCP just offer way too many options and complexities that are hard to understand unless you work with this stuff on a professional level. With Movavi it's simple to load in the files and the rendering time is much quicker than either imovie or FCP. You can load in from the older HD cameras or any iphone. Really simple and straightforward. I didn't need a manual or textbook to figure out how to use it.

I really wish I had this 10 years ago when I was shooting the ABS Modules. Makes me consider re shooting them all again. I might end up doing that at some point just to update some things and offer better quality.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Public Forum- Concepts in Advanced Ball Striking