Cross pollination 'tween golf and baseball

Re: Cross pollination 'tween golf and baseball

Postby Range Rat » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:52 pm

Enjoying the Little League World Series…

Another GIF computer guru Eyeball made for me. It was not meant to make a statement about a type of motion rather a statement about kinetic awareness. If striking a ball was a reactive process, more than it is an active process, it may make things easier- like playing ball.

The original GIF, sans green and white vapor trails, had the struck ball ascending toward the horizon. Eyeball was able to reverse the process having the ball come from the horizon back to the strike- backward if you will- much like playing baseball with a golf club and ball and reacting to a moving ball.

I like the sense it gives about how much ahead of the process, or work done prior to the strike, is actually involved instead of throwing the head in before the hands standing the club up.
You're ahead of where you were, and behind where you're going.
Range Rat

Postby Ded2Journey » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:37 pm

Absolutely fascinating...great GIF! Thanks Rat for leading us to some "intention" flavored cheese...
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby Range Rat » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:29 am

It's that time of year again, and instead of going on a rant about the price of Little League bats, thought I'd throw out a curve ball.
Range Rat

Postby Mashie72 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:07 am

I enjoyed that RR..

Is it kinda like the stock market?

Where the mass of humanity follows the force of the market sometimes producing overshoots of momentum?
"The secret is on the deck"
Mashie72

Postby Range Rat » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:27 pm

I'm enjoying putting the videos together while learning more and more about the technology piece, but I still always feel like I'm playing catch up. Good point about market momentum. The dot.com bubble burst put some big economic scars into the Rat's hide, so I know what you mean. :lol:
Range Rat

Postby norcalvol » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:51 pm

Several days ago, I was watching MLB TV, and there was a scene of Sean Casey talking to Billy Ripken about two things he always thought about to hone his batting stroke...
He said he threw a Frisbee with his lead arm and skipped a stone with his lagging arm.
I think these two mental images as aid to learning have been used in golf as well (I know about getting that underneath feel of the right side by skipping the stone from this ABS forum).
It was really interesting to hear these two ex-MLB players talking about it.

Also, Casey talked about doing certain types of drills to learn a proper hitting stroke. He talked about how he always did drills that were HIGHLY EXAGGERATIVE because you had to exaggerate movements in drills in order to instill muscle memory for your real swing.
Wow, I thought ---- that is Lag's program!!!
Accelerate forever!
norcalvol

Postby Range Rat » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:02 pm

Always a good topic, baseball and golf that is, and good one about the two drills about throwing stones and circular pie dishes. Baseball and golf is so close in many respects because what we do with the bat and what we do with the club is similar because we are using the shaft primarily, or the whole bat. Was surfing web-land one day and found this picture, which caught my attention to golf's nine ball flight window.
bbb.jpg
bbb.jpg (103.55 KiB) Viewed 2116 times
Range Rat

Postby Mashie72 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:17 pm

Range Rat wrote:Always a good topic, baseball and golf that is, and good one about the two drills about throwing stones and circular pie dishes. Baseball and golf is so close in many respects because what we do with the bat and what we do with the club is similar because we are using the shaft primarily, or the whole bat.

Sam Byrd thought so. He even advocated not to break your wrists to give it the whole bat feel as RR noted.
"The secret is on the deck"
Mashie72

Postby Range Rat » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:34 am

Probably my favorite lag in baseball picture since baseball and golf cannot be properly played without lagging properties. A young Mickey showing starting lag- the eyes are left, or ahead of, the head, the head is left of the shoulders, the shoulders are left of the arms, the arms are left of the hands, and the hands are left of the bat. Haven't been able to determine what the bat may be left of beside the Cracker Jack vendor in the stands.
mmny.jpg
mmny.jpg (50.58 KiB) Viewed 2056 times
Range Rat

Postby Range Rat » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:59 am

Grandson Rat (GR) working with this former player who signed professionally in 92 with the Athletics, and he had a cup of coffee with the Tigers. Guy can walk his talk and it was amazing how many things he was talking about that we talk about on this forum too at times. He is big on the bat being inside the hands, like golf, and hitting from the inside. He was telling GR that coming into the hitting zone if the hips stall the bat gets outside the hands and you'll be "going around the ball" instead of inside to it. Reminded me of the Hogan driving video when he said most people start with their shoulders first and "hit the outside of the ball"

So I've been hammering GR that if the trail arm is straight at the strike of the baseball that's no good, he's gone around the ball instead of the bat staying inside the hands. Had a nice chat with Eddie afterward and he said the bat travels fastest after the strike. Gotta love it. :)
Range Rat

PreviousNext

Return to Public Forum- Concepts in Advanced Ball Striking