Count Yogi

Re: Count Yogi

Postby Addington Arnie » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:57 pm

natep wrote:Here's a video of Count Yogi playing a few holes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44tJL9ZNOYk

From what I have been able to ascertain, Count Yogi was not big on mechanics. He taught his students that the most important thing was to remain "boneless and muscleless", and to swing as gracefully as possible in perfect balance. He advocated a subconscious approach to the golf swing, stating that he controlled the clubhead with his mind. He also advocated a very light grip, stating that you just touch the grip with your fingers, not squeeze it.

One day I was struggling with my game during a round, and it was so hopeless I decided to scrap every thought in my mind and just focus on being boneless, muscleless, and as graceful as possible. A few holes later I hit one of the top 5 longest drives I've ever hit. There's surely something to what he's saying.

What a wonderful find - thanks so much for posting. The light grip and the boneless, muscleless all point to a swinging protocol in the ABS playbook I guess :?: No less wonderful to watch and learn from for all that.

Cheers, Arnie
Addington Arnie

Postby natep » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:34 pm

Yogi didnt believe in taking divots. He basically swept the ball off the turf. He claimed that he was hitting everything on the "up arc".

He has a list in one of his books that shows his distances with each club. His short irons are average distance but as he gets into the long irons and woods his distances are way longer than average.

There's an audio interview on youtube with Moe where he talks a lot about the need for playing subconscious golf if you're playing at a high level.

Here's a link to the Moe interviews. It's two parts. If you've never heard them check them out they're great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg53BwBA96o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zBRH3inN3c
natep

Postby eagle » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:38 am

Addington Arnie wrote:
natep wrote:Here's a video of Count Yogi playing a few holes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44tJL9ZNOYk

From what I have been able to ascertain, Count Yogi was not big on mechanics. He taught his students that the most important thing was to remain "boneless and muscleless", and to swing as gracefully as possible in perfect balance. He advocated a subconscious approach to the golf swing, stating that he controlled the clubhead with his mind. He also advocated a very light grip, stating that you just touch the grip with your fingers, not squeeze it.

One day I was struggling with my game during a round, and it was so hopeless I decided to scrap every thought in my mind and just focus on being boneless, muscleless, and as graceful as possible. A few holes later I hit one of the top 5 longest drives I've ever hit. There's surely something to what he's saying.

What a wonderful find - thanks so much for posting. The light grip and the boneless, muscleless all point to a swinging protocol in the ABS playbook I guess :?: No less wonderful to watch and learn from for all that.

Cheers, Arnie

I watched this video posted by natep many times. It was very impressive to me, and I am still amazed at what I saw. Unfortunately, it has now been removed. I have a Mac, is there a way I could have saved this video? ( I have it on my mental hard drive.....but it can be unreliable :D )
Thanks
eagle

Postby Range Rat » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:36 am

I like your avatar natep.....lots of good things associated with that image that hit home with me a while ago: revealing the tip of the spear through opposing forces.

The rat wrote....

I was trying to pinpoint that feel and found one which captures the experience. I think somewhere in these threads someone mentioned a parting of the Red Sea....that works. Later, many things popped into the noggin that are also descriptive. The one I like most is the New Orleans Saints logo.

Thanks IOZ....it worked! :D
You're ahead of where you were, and behind where you're going.
Range Rat

Postby lagpressure » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:17 am

One of the reasons we created "The Vault" here for the advanced students is for this very reason. Having to rely upon youtube posters to keep their stuff on there can be quit fickle.

Everything we have in there is in our own controlled database.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby natep » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:35 pm

Sorry, guys! I was messing around with my youtube page and accidentally deleted it. I put it back up though. Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Do1zs0VZ_g
natep

Postby twomasters » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:09 pm

that's a great action....unfortunately if the Count played the PGA today he would pull his hair out having to wait around so long- it looks like he liked to play quick...I would have liked a quick 9 holes with him as twilight was closing in, ...good stuff nate
twomasters

Postby eagle » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:11 am

natep wrote:Sorry, guys! I was messing around with my youtube page and accidentally deleted it. I put it back up though. Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Do1zs0VZ_g

Thanks very much.
He "pulls the trigger" faster than anyone I've seen. And it did not seem to negatively affect his performance.
The Vault is a real treasure. I wonder if this and the other video can find their way into it.
eagle

Postby Budman » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:42 pm

There is no doubt from watching that vid that he could a) drive the ball fairly long and b) could play. He actually looks Hogan'ish a bit with the big hip slide to start the downswing.

One thing I notice having seen all the Yogi vids is that he has a pretty predominate "chicken wing" left arm at impact. I would bet this is a big reason he never took divots, as it is, for lack of a better description, a high handicapper trait, and is considered a no-no from any modern teaching "pro" with a high speed camera. Count obviously developed his swing out of feel and much practice (and without aid like a camera and all the preconceived notions of what a swing should look like) so he made this work.
Budman

Postby phdupey » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:01 pm

what a style ! certainly was a great character . His swing and his hip action at impact in particular looks like Mcilroy to me.
phdupey

PreviousNext

Return to Public Forum- Concepts in Advanced Ball Striking