Postby twomasters » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:02 pm

Found this in the archives of an old golf mag

scan0066.jpg
scan0066.jpg (250.53 KiB) Viewed 2138 times
twomasters

Re: Count Yogi

Postby natep » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:32 pm

Great find!

I like the semi-crazed look in his eyes.....lol.
natep

Postby Range Rat » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:00 pm

eagle wrote:
twomasters wrote:

Just thought some may have never heard of him either.....and I was the ultimate golf historian junkie growing up....His name appeared on a cartoon with Boo-Boo, but not in any golf books I ever read....this has to be someone stretching the truth for their own benefit in some way , shape or form

This is interesting, and it would be great if someone could verify at least some of the scoring claims. The fact that Lag saw him in person, and was impressed carries some clout. They say there is often some basis for fairy tales and fables.

His precise pre-shot routine incorporates him saying "STOP", making me think he is switching gears, going from pre-shot to execution. Similar to what Carey Mumford describes in his Clear Key process.
His swing looks very good to my eyes, with admirable pivot, and leg action. His right elbow is in close at impact.

A late take here but Yogi's stuff is good swinging material for sure, try it and see. It even has a Count 5 system to it that I am sure Lag might appreciate since he likes 5/4 time.

When Yogi says "stop" in the 'street corner' video he is on the 3rd count of his 5 event system. Even on the street corner he may have given it away by counting to '5' but here is the cool thing. In looking at this YT videos when he walks into a shot the R foot placement is Count 1, next the L foot placement for Count 2. Now the most important Count, number 3. When the R foot hits again for adjustment IT NEVER MOVES AGAIN. From there is is back swing on Count 4 and Downswing on Count 5. So the first 3 Counts are pre-shot and the last 2 Counts are momentum. So if he is switching gears it would be from pre-shot to action.

Go up to about 5:50 on this video and watch after the R foot places for the second time, or Count 3, the foot never moves. Also check out around 6:30 for a little bump shot and around 7:09 for another sequence where the R foot never adjusts again. Seems like all his videos are like that.

Not sure why that works, but it does. It may be that without any further adjusting the R leg actually becomes in the way so we have to move it out of the way.

Pretty easy stuff for swinging.

You're ahead of where you were, and behind where you're going.
Range Rat

Postby Range Rat » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:21 pm

Interesting transition piece here, was inspired by Eagle bringing up Count Yogi on the Austin thread and just had to gif this one up for enjoyment. Like pushing up a barbell, looks like.
output_FRHehv.gif
output_FRHehv.gif (195.58 KiB) Viewed 603 times
Range Rat

Postby Range Rat » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:46 pm

RR wrote:
Not sure why that works, but it does. It may be that without any further adjusting the R leg actually becomes in the way so we have to move it out of the way.

Thanks again Eagle for the Yogi inspiration on the Austin thread. that's why the R leg, 3rd step in the phase works- the connection came to me as I was pondering making the Yogi transition gif, so adding to the thread in case I missed it before.

Claude Harmon told Steve Elkington that Hogan and his mates used to practice getting in their own way so they can, or have to, get out of their way. Might be the reason.

8-)
Range Rat

Postby Range Rat » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:24 am

Hey Eagle, on the gif I posted above it occurred to me that even though the club is reversing and opposing the hands going out/forward, there seems to be a little quirky upward motion there too. Maybe this was the start of Yogi's sensation of swinging up, probably not, but interesting nonetheless.

As far as I know, a new Yogi video on the net.
Range Rat

Previous

Return to Public Forum- Concepts in Advanced Ball Striking