What Do You See (Part 2)

Re: What Do You See (Part 2)

Postby Frozen Divots » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:33 am

I would say the wheel video is more to show how rotations work together. Why you would want a pivot that the proper club pressures ‘like’. Let them merge, marry and spit out a child (the golf ball) :)

Look a Ted Ray, for example. Great club rotation, pressure #3 like a master. His wild pivot? It worked but also explains why he was so wild. His club didn’t like his pivot. They fought each other all the time but Ted forced that arranged marriage. Then their child went astray into the woods all too often. Bad boy. But don’t blame the child, poor parental relationship.
Frozen Divots

Postby Range Rat » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:07 pm

nfbandon wrote: Hogan was in his own way...

In my opinion, the Holy Grail.
You're ahead of where you were, and behind where you're going.
Range Rat

Postby Frozen Divots » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:35 pm

I would say the Holy Grail is knowing how to get out of your own way, after knowing to intentionally get IN your own to to begin with.

And big part of that is knowing not to have the club take the long way around the barn...and John Wayne would have said...
Frozen Divots

Postby Range Rat » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:04 pm

Frozen Divots wrote:I would say the Holy Grail is knowing how to get out of your own way, after knowing to intentionally get IN your own to to begin with.

And big part of that is knowing not to have the club take the long way around the barn...and John Wayne would have said...

Not agreeing with that totally, although in principle it is correct. By correctly getting in your own way- which may be totally counter intuitive- getting out of your way will be an autonomic response. So my counter to your comment would be one doesn't have to consciously know HOW to get out of their own way, that's autonomic, if they know how to get in their way- which is conscious part.
Range Rat

Postby Frozen Divots » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:14 pm

You certainly do need to know how to get out of your own way, in a conscious manner, to properly impart Angular Momentum on the club head at the right time, on the plane of attack for the best ball contact.

I have seen exactly no one do this intuitively in a correct manner. I don't see too many people do it correct, period.

I have yet to go to a crowded driving range and see anyone doing this correctly. If it was autonomic, I would see it daily. Well, maybe not daily. I AM in Minnesota and won't see ANYONE on a range for, oh, another 7 weeks at least...

But maybe you and I have a different idea of 'correctly getting out of our own way'.
Frozen Divots

Postby Range Rat » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:34 am

Frozen Divots wrote:You certainly do need to know how to get out of your own way, in a conscious manner, to properly impart Angular Momentum on the club head at the right time, on the plane of attack for the best ball contact.

But maybe you and I have a different idea of 'correctly getting out of our own way'.

Maybe we do, let's see. Have you ever heard the real old phrase "stand up to square up"? If so, what does it mean, or instead give me a simple golf example if you know what it is and how it works and we'll know pretty quick if we are on the same page.
Range Rat

Postby Range Rat » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:54 am

Let's do this instead, it may be quicker since the likelihood of you knowing that phrase as I do may be limited.

In your opinion is goat humping an autonomic or deliberate event? :)
Range Rat

Postby Range Rat » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:14 am

Frozen, while we're young. :lol:
Range Rat

Postby nfbandon » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:29 pm

I think Penick said stand up to square up. ;)
nfbandon

Postby Range Rat » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:04 pm

I don't recall where I first stumbled upon that phrase, but I remember how it was applied I think, or at least how I applied it, more for address sensations: when we grip the club while it's on the ground since the trail hand is lower and to the rear of the lead hand the tendency is for the right hand to reach for the club a little bit which kicks open the hips. Some may like an open orientation of the hip, but if not the quickest fix is to stand up and everything seeks its fundamental position- square. Then carefully settle down into the ground from there without allowing the hips to sneak open. In other words, the more the trail hand reaches toward the target the more the hips open to accommodate.

That is one reason why, I'm quite sure, Jackie Burke Jr. likes to take hold of the club while the shaft is vertical in the air as it makes finding a more square hip orientation easier if one wants. I don't think we always need to, I don't anyway, take hold of the club while in the air if we are familiar with the process of inadvertent opening and guard against it if we want to. If we want to is key, some may want to, others not. The point being, when we stand up and everything squares up we don't have to know how to square up, it's hard wired in us already.

I have so much garbage rattling my rat cage it's nice to find a place to put it. :lol:
Range Rat

PreviousNext

Return to Public Forum- Concepts in Advanced Ball Striking