Lee Trevino

Re: Lee Trevino

Postby lbcyp » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:20 am

Newman wrote:

This is a great clip. You can see how well he keeps his pivot rotation moving through impact, he drives it through right to his finish.
lbcyp

Postby golfingplease » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:05 am

What a timely thread. I've been thinking about trevino lately. The one thing about that position at the top, is that it absolutely necessitates a great transition move and a resistance of rotation of the club face through the shot.
golfingplease

Postby norcalvol » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:16 am

That is such a great video of Trevino because it helps dispel an illusion of his swing. It is a great angle because his body is aligned directly toward the camera so we see how he pushes the shot out to the right.

I think the illusion has always been that he takes the club back way outside and then brings it back 'on plane'. I've heard commentators say that and me thinks that that is not accurate.

His body alignment I think is the key to understanding his swing.

His alignment is not just where he moves his left leg out to create a quasi-open stance, but his entire body alignment -- shoulders, hips, knees, etc. -- are aligned left of his target. WAY left. He is TRULY open. So in this way, he doesn't take the club back outside like many believe, but instead he takes the club back pretty square to his left-aligned body. In this way, there is no manipulation, but it creates the illusion that there is. Then he lays it off at transition which allows him to attack the ball from the inside like we ABS students are being taught --- he's going for that inner quarter of the back of the ball. And all this allows him to keep the club square through impact for quite a while.

Pure brilliance. And so elegant. Just wonderful.
Accelerate forever!
norcalvol

Postby k2baloo » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:22 am

Lee hitting some great shots here in an exhibition done back in 82'. Enjoy!

k2baloo

Postby lagpressure » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:10 pm

I love how Alliss describes it as "172, the long par 3 hole"
The guys are deciding between 5 and 4 iron. That's how it should be. Even pros should be tested with all the clubs.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby stevemcgee99 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:15 pm

I noticed that, too. Maybe they're not playing from 'championship tees'? I seem to be faced with a lot of par 3's longer that that.

I really liked seeing Trevino's 2-iron. SO FLAT!
McGee
stevemcgee99

Postby The Caddy » Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:45 pm

. I remember the days when hitting a two iron on a winters morning of a tight lie required your full attention. do any of today's tour players even carry a two iron OR won't their club sponsors allow the too. Such a shame.??
The Caddy

Postby NRG » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:02 pm

2015-07-13_2122.png
2015-07-13_2122.png (574.47 KiB) Viewed 4619 times

Lag, be interested to hear your thoughts on the left arm leaving your side, Trevino says you "must" do it.
NRG

Postby nfbandon » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:23 pm

Trevino chased from an open stance. It was a block. Foolproof way to take left out of the equation. But he was in sync with his rotation until well past impact so it isn't inconsistent with ABS principles.
nfbandon

Postby LesMurray » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:40 pm

nfbandon wrote:Trevino chased from an open stance. It was a block. Foolproof way to take left out of the equation. But he was in sync with his rotation until well past impact so it isn't inconsistent with ABS principles.

I think also we are attempt to achieve something similar with holding the X and climbing the wall - basically, keeping the face looking at the target as long as possible post impact. Think Mod 3-4-8 here.
LesMurray

PreviousNext

Return to Public Forum- Concepts in Advanced Ball Striking