Lee Trevino

Re: Lee Trevino

Postby norcalvol » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:57 pm

LesMurray wrote:...basically, keeping the face looking at the target as long as possible post impact...

Trevino said this on many occasions.
Accelerate forever!
norcalvol

Postby LesMurray » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:17 pm

Nice clip of Lee hitting a little pitch shot, his "burning" wedge.

For those of us on Mod 8 - we get to do about 6,000 - 9,000 of these shots.
LesMurray

Postby norcalvol » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:48 am

Played a few holes with a guy last evening who was really struggling with his missing left. His ball flight was strong and penetrating, but had a draw that continually got him into trouble because the amount of draw was not controllable. We started to play two balls each. He would hit his first shot 'normally' and then would try and fade his second shot.

After a couple of holes, my playing partner revealed his personal dilemma... his two drives: one was left (a ball that started straight down the middle, and long, but had a pretty good draw to it, so much that it eventually ended up in the rough, under a tree); and the other was a lower-trajectory fade to the right that seemed to stop more abruptly, just barely touching the right rough, and about 15 to 20 yards in distance behind the first drive but in a 100% much better position.

He said he didn't want to become a fade player, because of this difference in distance.

The conversation immediately turned to Trevino, and the why and how he converted himself to a master of the fade. He brought Lee up, not me.

I told him that Trevino was originally a hooker who realized that when he hit the ball badly with a draw, the ball would really spin and move to the left sharply, along the ground, and roll into trouble... but he realized that when guys who hit fades hit one badly, the ball spun less, arced less, and generally settled down more quickly than the bad shots that hookers hit... often short of any trouble... so Trevino saw the light --- a little less distance with master control vs greater distance with less control. What followed was six major championships.

My partner's two drives laying on the ground right there in front of us was like a poster child of this very point.

Then, he showed me and told me how his irons would most often start at the center of the green, but would eventually draw to the left so much that more often he missed the green long and left --- the ball seemed to hit hard on the green and then release a lot so that it would dribble off into an undesirable spot. He seemed unable to stop this, and was generally distressed by it.

I remembered a quote of Trevino, so I told him...
an interviewer once asked Lee what his secret was to his beating Nicklaus so many times when playing him head to head. Trevino said that both him and Jack would hit their usual number of really good and great shots, but Lee said it came down to their misses --- "Jack's misses were long and left and my misses were short and right. So Jack had either a bunker shot or chip to a downhill green, and mine were into an uphill green." Kind of stopped my partner in his mental tracks for just a moment.

We both had an enjoyable late afternoon on the links... talking golf and just hitting shots freely.
I don't know if my partner will change his approach to hitting shots --- wanting distance, no matter the potential costs, is like an addictive narcotic --- but I think Trevino's back story and his eventual entire approach to the game could help many of us average Joes immensely.
Accelerate forever!
norcalvol

Postby stevemcgee99 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:21 pm

norcalvol wrote:He said he didn't want to become a fade player, because of this difference in distance.

You can barely even lead a horse to water these days...
McGee
stevemcgee99

Postby Whitworth » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:12 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcBuaJz ... freload=10

Trevino is talking wedges in this video. He mentions his SW was bent from 56 to 53. Lee mentions bending sand wedges like this in Groove your Swing My Way. I didn't know he added offset. Do you think that's something new? I've read his irons were heavy and flat with a sharp edge. Would he have had offset in his irons?

Maybe someone here knows him or has seen his clubs in person.
Whitworth

Postby Whitworth » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:44 pm

k2baloo wrote:Lee hitting some great shots here in an exhibition done back in 82'. Enjoy!

Please tell me I'm not the only one to use a protractor to measure a lie angle on a video!

Trevino's lie angle for this 2 iron looks like 45 degrees! I'm probably wrong............

Jerry Pate's looks about in line with Lags specs.
Whitworth

Postby k2baloo » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:29 am

Whitworth wrote:
k2baloo wrote:Lee hitting some great shots here in an exhibition done back in 82'. Enjoy!

Please tell me I'm not the only one to use a protractor to measure a lie angle on a video!

Trevino's lie angle for this 2 iron looks like 45 degrees! I'm probably wrong............

Jerry Pate's looks about in line with Lags specs.

His two iron isn't 45 degrees. If I remember correctly Trevino played his short irons quite flat and then gradually they worked closer towards standard lies. So his two iron would probably be closer to standard lie angle.
http://www.advancedballstriking.com/for ... =41&t=2106
It's discussed in the above thread
k2baloo

Postby Whitworth » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:25 pm

Thanks for that. I'm not sure why it looks so flat to my eye? :geek: :)
Whitworth

Postby k2baloo » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:25 am

Whitworth wrote:Thanks for that. I'm not sure why it looks so flat to my eye? :geek: :)

Who knows... Trevino seems to say his 2 iron played about a degree upright, but it does look quite flat in the video.

Parralax issues could be coming into play as well. For example, an elevated camera will make the lie angle appear more flat than it actually is. You'll notice that on the first par three when Trevino hits a five iron that the lie angle looks fairly standard. At least to me it looks pretty normal.

Also, just because a lie angle is x degrees doesn't mean the player sets up on that angle. Lee could set up in a way that makes it look flat.

Either way, it's a fun video to see Trevino shaping shots, very impressive stuff IMO.
k2baloo

Postby NRG » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:37 pm

Changing the video aspect from say 4:3 to 16:9 would stretch the video and change the look.
NRG

PreviousNext

Return to Public Forum- Concepts in Advanced Ball Striking