Champions Golf, Jack Burke Jr.

Re: Champions Golf, Jack Burke Jr.

Postby Range Rat » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:08 am

Many bugs, and you're correct the overdub is way too strong, but it didn't sound as bad as it does now on You Tube as it did when I played it back on my computer prior to uploading to YT, not sure exactly why that would be. I could control the volume overall across the entire length of audio but is was an either/or type deal. I actually wanted to fade in and out at different points, and with differing volume levels too during those fades, but had no success- so too much hassle unless I hired Spielberg's capture team. The other ones I did were just straight audio beds with a picture overlay- much easier, but totally different too.

So much for the Rat's first attempt at mass subliminal teaching.... :lol:
You're ahead of where you were, and behind where you're going.
Range Rat

Postby Range Rat » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:50 am

Awesome, and then some.

Range Rat

Postby Range Rat » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:32 am

I was going to create this as a video for my YT channel, but ran into technical issues, so here are the separate pieces together I found interesting.

Overall, another great Burke Jr. video, but focusing about 2:00 minutes in Mr. Burke, who is a martial artist, talks about the trail arm and how it unloads through the strike. He equates it to boxing when saying "when a guy turns that fist on you", obviously referring to forearm rotation, and like rats usually do when smelling cheese hit the maze for a run to the prize. Click on link.

https://youtu.be/UuHJOjfwtzk

After a few twists and turns while researching, corkscrew punches led the parade and seemed close to Mr. Burke's description about turning that fist into something. Here's an interesting tidbit about corkscrew punches:

A “corkscrew punch” is a punch delivered with a twisting of the wrist.
The fist rotates inwards as the arm extends so that the palm is facing down when the fist lands.
This punch was said to be invented by a famous boxer named Charles “Kid” McCoy who (fought from 1891-1916) learned the punch by watching a cat strike at a ball of string.

Well now, I was skeptical about the cat boxer, and did not want to research too much as rats and cats mixing are a no-no. In any event, found a swatting cat at a bug so I made this GIF. Fascinating.
output_p8Lr1W-gif.gif
output_p8Lr1W-gif.gif (227.14 KiB) Viewed 869 times

PS....the video is unlisted and won't upload directly, it can on other sites though. If any of you hillbillies know why let me know as I have a bunch of stuff but want to be able to have the video appear in the post, not the url link. :)
Range Rat

Postby twomasters » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:01 pm

I spent 3 days at Champions during PGA Championship in May with Steve Elkington- playing golf and working with Elk’s son.
Got to spend a little time with Jackie Burke again. Still great to talk with and listen to even at 96 years of age now
03AB66FB-0808-44E2-92BB-C973A18BFCCE.jpeg
03AB66FB-0808-44E2-92BB-C973A18BFCCE.jpeg (1.35 MiB) Viewed 846 times
twomasters

Postby LesMurray » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:43 am

RR here's your video coded up for ya.

LesMurray

Postby Range Rat » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:39 am

The gift that keeps on giving.

I have an old blade flatstick retrieved from a junk bin a friend calls 'Calamity Junk'... :lol: ....but my putting has never been this good, and it's actually fun on the green now. No more pushing putts from any distance....kind of like chip roll for lagging putts, and then toe putting rolls up close...great stuff!
Range Rat

Postby Range Rat » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:19 am

Pretty nice scenery, ball flights, and insights. Hole #2 commentary on a putt finishing 1/2" short of the cup must have been brain freeze way up North. Go Indians! :lol:

Range Rat

Postby k2baloo » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:42 pm

Thanks RR
I enjoyed watching it. I've always liked Jackie Burke's swing. Will you be uploading the rest of the match?
k2baloo

Postby Range Rat » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:41 am

I'll load it up if I can find it on Youtube or Vimeo, but no luck so far. It's not available on Shell archive list unless some poor soul coughs up 50 bucks, so will keep scrounging around youtubeville, etc. to see if I stumble on the second part as I did the first part. Maybe Two has it, or can maybe find out next time he's at Champions if they have a full copy.

Took another look and Leonard's birdie try did finish 1/2 inch short of cup so brain freeze was on me- Burke's ball location for his par attempt looked like the hole when Stan was putting. You have some Burke in your delivery it looks like to me....good stuff. :)
Range Rat

Previous

Return to Public Forum- Concepts in Advanced Ball Striking