Champions Golf, Jack Burke Jr.

Champions Golf, Jack Burke Jr.

Postby Range Rat » Tue May 24, 2016 6:19 pm

Mr. Burke has top notch golf swing information here in ABS’s great Vault and forum, YouTube, several magazine articles, and also a very nice golf book containing great insights. I’ve been looking into Mr. Burke’s work for a while now and I’m amazed how easily he explains his message, and that message is consistent. It’s one of the best messages I’ve ever come across about swinging a golf club.

Surely, ABS users can do their own additional searching, but I would like post some of his work here and open it up for thoughts from others if they choose, or just simple reading pleasure for others. Mr. Burke approaches several concepts using very similar sounding terms, and ideas, used here @ Advanced Ball Striking.

I believe he may be at the top of the information pyramid linking the golden age of the past to today offering his insight and wisdom from his playing days alongside the likes of Mr. Hogan, Mr. Snead, Mr. Demaret, Mr. Nelson, Mr. Bolt, and a host of others too many to list here. Also, a big thank you should go out to Steve Elkington for having the foresight bringing Mr. Burke’s knowledge out into the open so that it is not lost to the ages.

jackburke1.jpg
jackburke1.jpg (38.75 KiB) Viewed 5254 times
You're ahead of where you were, and behind where you're going.
Range Rat

Re: Champions Golf, Jack Burke Jr.

Postby Ded2Journey » Tue May 24, 2016 6:58 pm

As a Hogan-ite...his stories and insight on Hogan's game is at the top of the pyramid in my opinion. Since we're organizing, here is the interview he did with Jim McClean. Spent many an afternoon combing through this information.

"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby LesMurray » Tue May 24, 2016 7:32 pm

I'd like to hear from Two as he spent some time with JB during a filming of a Secret Golf episode.

I have been getting lots of insight from his chipping videos and his "Throw the Club" videos. Here's a good one:

and this one:

LesMurray

Postby Range Rat » Wed May 25, 2016 3:49 am

There is a strong 'Texas Connection' between Mr. Demaret, Mr. Hogan, and Mr. Burke. Mr. Hogan published having "one corporate" hand on the club when you swing. Mr. Burke says having Two Hands as One is the way to go. A good place to start...

..."and if they have hold of a club, so what". 8-)
Range Rat

Postby Range Rat » Wed May 25, 2016 10:07 am

So Mr. Burke advises in the 'Two Hands As One' video putting both hands close together, as one, "so they stay the hell out of the swing". The feeling in the hands is really the feeling coming up and through the body whole. The rotational aspect swings, and the club does the hitting. Pretty fair look @ Mr. Maves doing as suggested: "let the club do the hitting, don't you get in the swing"

maves1.jpg
maves1.jpg (28.75 KiB) Viewed 5128 times

The following video from Mr. Burke is a gold standard video in my opinion, and it's less than 2 minutes long! His message is strong and consistent with 'Two Hands' but there is a very subtle reactionary process observable that many folks struggle with, but is almost hidden in the video because it wasn't mentioned unless you know what to look for in cause and effect relationships. This goes to what many say, know, and do. I believe both Lag and Two have spoken about some of the issues from early hand velocity.

Mr. Burke says, "if you let it go you have vibrations" meaning in golf speak wobble, or slack. Letting it go too soon by seeking pure velocity through hand action produces slack or shaft wobble. That's what retaining shaft flex is all about, not flexing too soon.

The best part for me was near the end. Mr. Burke says " you just let it go down, you just don't help it down". Watch what happens when Mr. Burke helps it down with his hands- it's the subtlety I mentioned- the hips extend early due to a hand assist. :)
Range Rat

Postby Range Rat » Wed May 25, 2016 11:39 am

As I watched "Spring The Shaft' when Mr. Burke was saying "you just let it go down" his hips and lower body were moving in perfect harmony- getting out of there if you will so the club can indeed 'go down' as opposed to when he said "you just don't help it down" by using his hands too early resulting in early extension and stalling things out.

In this video, Mr. Burke again near the very end says something that reinforces the messages between Spring the Shaft and Last Official Competitive Round. He says @ 3 minutes in:

"the swing is coming at 100 mph and you can't stay in there or you'll slow it down"

Range Rat

Postby Ded2Journey » Wed May 25, 2016 6:20 pm

All I want to do is go hit pitches now...absolutely mind blowing info. The things you feel explained in such simplicity...the mark of a TRUE teacher.
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby Range Rat » Thu May 26, 2016 4:26 am

Ded2Journey wrote:All I want to do is go hit pitches now...absolutely mind blowing info. The things you feel explained in such simplicity...the mark of a TRUE teacher.

I agree, simple and brilliant at the same time instruction cannot be exceeded in my opinion. Funny you mention that because Jack Burke Jr. is doing exactly what his father taught him. Jack Burke Sr. told his son to "teach the game simply, don't try to be an expert." I think Jack Burke Jr. listened, and learned, well.

Here is just one good example. Many teachers may say, when teaching set up, to set the club square, open, or whatever to the target line. Not Mr. Burke, he says to "walk your hands into the game." This is fantastic because that which he walks into the game, will be taken out of the game as told by both Mr. Hogan and Mr. Burke when they address the perils of conscious hand action.

As long as you're going to hit some pitch shots, here are some valuable words from Mr. Burke Jr. about the subject- in simple terms.

The key is how you use your hands- or don't use them. You need to break your wrists on the backswing and then keep them cocked on the downswing. If you uncock your wrists, you are done- you'll hit the ball fat or thin every time. To get the club back to the ball, you simply turn through the ball using your knees, hips, and shoulders. Let your arms lag behind your upper body and keep your wrists cocked.

Long irons for me today.

"so they stay the hell out of the swing" :)
Range Rat

Postby Range Rat » Thu May 26, 2016 4:51 am

One more simple lesson here going back to Two Hands As One

@ 30 seconds Mr. Burke says to Mr. Maves "you didn't do anything to it" while demonstrating overactive hands. Notice how Mr. Burke automatically 'backs out of it' with the torso in order to 'do something to it'.

8-)
Range Rat

Postby Mystery man » Thu May 26, 2016 5:30 am

Boy was that a great video.Often wondered why people have such a great looking swing only using one hand.Have to contemplate his message more
One in the oven
Mystery man

Next

Return to Public Forum- Concepts in Advanced Ball Striking