Post Impact Pivot Thrust

Re: Post Impact Pivot Thrust

Postby HB51 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:04 am

I find that when I focus on PIPT, I tend to lose what happens before it...

When I seem to hold shaft flex through P4 and beyond, the progress that I have made via better transition, slotting, flatter entry seems to get lost, and I get steep coming down. I recall Lag saying he sees a lot of players making some of the moves of Hogan and the greats, but rarely does anyone get them all.

I assume this is from not having ingrained the Mod 1 stuff into my DNA? I am probably getting ahead of myself by trying to maintain pressure up through PV5...but it just frustrates me when I see (on video) the pressure deflate and the club head outrace everything at P4.

So I end up "flip-flopping" intentions: from "dropping club and compressing to right foot" to "holding shaft flex all the way up"....but can't seem to get both....yet. ;)

Any thoughts?

HB51
HB51

Postby LesMurray » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:06 am

HB51 wrote:I find that when I focus on PIPT, I tend to lose what happens before it...

When I seem to hold shaft flex through P4 and beyond, the progress that I have made via better transition, slotting, flatter entry seems to get lost, and I get steep coming down. I recall Lag saying he sees a lot of players making some of the moves of Hogan and the greats, but rarely does anyone get them all.

I assume this is from not having ingrained the Mod 1 stuff into my DNA? I am probably getting ahead of myself by trying to maintain pressure up through PV5...but it just frustrates me when I see (on video) the pressure deflate and the club head outrace everything at P4.

So I end up "flip-flopping" intentions: from "dropping club and compressing to right foot" to "holding shaft flex all the way up"....but can't seem to get both....yet. ;)

Any thoughts?

HB51

My $0.02 - from what I can tell you've only been working on the modules for about 3 months now (given your join date) so I wouldn't expect anything to have worked into your DNA. Losing pressure on the shaft before P4 basically means you are accelerating too early and slinging the club with a swinger's release.

Assuming you are only at Mod 2 or 3 at this point, all I can suggest is to have transition be slow and just work on feeling acceleration after impact. It is usually at Mod 7 and 8 where we start putting all the modules together into a proper sequence and practice hitting balls with our ABS protocols.
LesMurray

Postby Range Rat » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:11 pm

HB51 wrote: I am probably getting ahead of myself by trying to maintain pressure up through PV5..Any thoughts?

If you literally get ahead of yourself you have no chance of being able to effectively maintain pressure through PV5. Figuratively however, you may wish to fiddle around with different mental tasks, like hitting an imaginary ball about 12" down the line from the actual ball- this is where late extension meets the fastest part of the swing. I don't like commenting on drill dynamic-specific items since I am not an ABS student. Like Les said, things take time. :)
You're ahead of where you were, and behind where you're going.
Range Rat

Postby HB51 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:08 pm

Thanks guys.

Les, I've been in the program since August, but have been aggressively studying and apply all I could absorb for about a year. I've worked at it almost daily in one form or another when I haven't been nursing an injury of some sort. Unfortunately, I've only submitted a few videos to Lag, so I'm still on mod 1. But you are right...it takes so long for things to seep in. My swing has changed a lot, but still has a long way to go.

Rat, I like the intention...a foot or two past the ball. I've applied many of the "intentions" mentioned throughout the site to maintain pressure, but like I said...can't seem to hit the slot/elbow plane AND maintain pressure up to pv5 all in the same strike...right now, its one or the other.

I am convinced that a lot of what makes abs work is strength. Forearms, core, and leg strength is necessary...but not sufficient. I started with absolutely no forearm muscles at all, but my strength there has increased considerably. Developing the proper muscles (and flexibility) takes time. I believe that you just can't maneuver the stiff heavy club and get it where it needs to go under abs protocols without it.
HB51

Postby LesMurray » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:38 pm

Great dedication. That is what is needed to succeed at this. Mod 1 is perhaps one of the hardest modules to master and where we need most of our strength. The second one is Mod 3 - post-impact pivot.

My one recommendation is patience. I'm starting my forth year in the program and have been working Mod 7 and 8 for the last 1 1/2 years trying to get early acceleration out of my swing and get the sequencing right. Like I mentioned previously, best thing I can suggest is to feel like you are moving in slow motion into the ball and only after the hit engage the pivot.

Rat mentioned one drill that works - trying to hit not at your ball but swinging to an imaginary ball 18" in front. Another good drill is to take a tee marker or block of wood, address it with your club, then push it forward with the club without any backswing. That should give you a good feeling of when the pivot engages and getting into the ground.

Good luck on your adventure. With patience and persistence you will get it.
LesMurray

Postby HB51 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:22 am

You're exactly right Les...patience. I've always struggled with that...when I jump in, I do with both feet. Like I said, I have "consumed" abs on almost a daily basis for over a year. For whatever reason, I have an intense desire to learn this. I enjoy the process, and more importantly, there's nothing like flushing a shot with that "sound," looking up to see a boring laser rise, then gently fall.

Fortunately, or unfortunately, my work schedule, and having four kids, does not permit me to always do mod 1 drills...but I can usually do them 4-5 times a week when not fighting an injury. BUT I do have the opportunity to hit balls regularly because of my schedule and work location. (lunchtime or after work for 30 minutes or so). I know this is not highly recommended, but its what I have to work with. So I always have an abs intention (or 2) when I practice. Often its half swing drills or other intentions I have picked up from "veterans" on the site. Then I try and get in 75-100 mod 1 of each hand and both at night.

Anyway, the patience thing stems from a couple things. First, I'm 52 and as Grady has said, there's a lot of wear on the tires and the clock is ticking. More importantly, I'd like to enter a couple competitive events next spring. :shock: Maybe try and qualify for state am, or state open. In addition, until about 18 months ago, I had not picked up a club for the past 20 years and I haven't played a competitive round for over 30 years... or probably not even kept score. So, its a big undertaking. Fortunately, I had a solid foundation having played a lot, and competitively, through high school. I also worked in and around the golf business for several years after that.

I know my ambitions are quite lofty, but I feel that if I can get to the first 3 mods by early spring, and have those skills somewhat engrained, and not be thinking about them too much, I could possibly be striking it fairly well. But obviously, that doesn't mean I will be able to score well. Having worked abs for over a year, I already feel like I am striking it very solid...using x stiff heavy blades, the ball doesn't move much...

So...onward!

Thanks for all the support and advice.
HB51

Postby LesMurray » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:51 am

I understand and share your enthusiasm and have similar goals. I am 53 so I know all about the ticking clock. I too have immersed myself in ABS teachings for the last 3+ years on an almost daily basis. I would try to get in 500 reps a week progressing at about a new module every 12 weeks. Then I got to Mod 7 and Mod 8...

Whether you will have the drills ingrained enough for them to take hold in your swing within the next few months no one can predict. It depends on how well your body accepts the new motions and how much strength and range of motion you can develop in that time. Everyone is different and each of us is coming from a different place. From my personal experience, this is taking a lot longer than I would have anticipated but I have also learned that things happen at the pace they were meant. In other words, the module work shows up when I am ready to accept it.

One book I can recommend you read that may help you understand the journey you are on is called Mastery, by George Leonard. The basic tenant in the book is that you are on a continuum of mastery and that progress comes in spurts followed by long periods on a plateau. The "quick fix" is not what ABS is about.
LesMurray

Postby stevemcgee99 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:38 pm

I strongly recommend you send videos to Lag before doing hundreds of reps. Slow down on your reps until Lag stops telling you to correct things.

Otherwise you're drilling the wrong stuff into your muscles and it will not be fun to unlearn it. I know from experience.

My other two cents (you get four!) is that maybe you need heavier clubs. I find it easier to feel the shaft and head when it's heavier, and it's easier to slow down. Also easier to track the club's arc.
McGee
stevemcgee99

Postby NRG » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:56 am

Jimmy Demaret2.gif
Jimmy Demaret2.gif (208.71 KiB) Viewed 1857 times

H2.gif
H2.gif (187.16 KiB) Viewed 1855 times

S2.gif
S2.gif (211.88 KiB) Viewed 1858 times
NRG