Post Impact Pivot Thrust

Re: Post Impact Pivot Thrust

Postby robbo » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:52 am

Mashie72 wrote:
robbo wrote:
I won’t go into details about my sabbatical from practice and/or playing but if I mention that I just completed my 7th round of chemo you’ll have a pretty good idea of what’s been happening. ;) I’ve lost considerable strength and stamina.

Robbo

You're doing fantastic Robbo and happy to read your posts. . Glad to see you've got great PIA for what life has thrown at you.

All the best,

John

Mashie - thanks for that.

Best,

Rob
robbo

Postby robbo » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:54 am

eth14dev wrote:Blessings robbo,

Glad to hear you are on the road to recovery!

Had family members dealing with the same situation about 10 years back, so I understand how life changing it all can be. All the best to your speeding recovery and great work on your swing too! Saw through your vids on the Swing Posts thread. Nice :D

Eth - thanks so much.

Rob
robbo

Postby robbo » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:58 am

Range Rat wrote:I've been trying for a long time to remember where I first came upon these words that hold deep meaning. I remember them being written with a Scottish accent so it might have been Golf in the Kingdom, but I don't have the book anymore (oops) so I can't look it up. I wish I could find where I first saw them but it is a phrase I remind myself often..."I gawt me gawd and me gulff to get me threwe." Keep bringing it Robbo... RR :)

RR - love the quote RR! It’s more relevant to my situation than you realize! I’ll have to tell you about an incident that happened a few weeks after my diagnoses that highlights it!

Thanks!

Rob
robbo

Postby robbo » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:02 pm

eagle wrote:RR said"

I gawt me gawd and me gulff to get me threwe.

Thank goodness for those two. I can think of no better medicine or therapy than golf, whether alone or with friends. The swinging, the fresh air, the mental process, and walking...even if only from the cart to the tee or green. It is hard to overdose.
Your swing looks great and enviable to my eyes Robbo, and I wish you well on all fronts!
eagle

Eagle - thanks very much. People have no idea just how humbling yet uplifting these statements of support mean. So much of the battle is mental (much like golf) and all these notes have such a big impact.

Rob
robbo

Postby 20 Mule Team » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:58 am

robbo wrote:So I’m sort of getting in back into the program and taking baby steps. Hit balls for the first time in many weeks and tried to use some images Lag had given me wrt starting from the table top and going from there with good Mod 3 intentions. I can tell I’ve lost some of my mod 1 and mod 2 strength (which was no surprise to me) so it was doubly tough to get many lightbulb moments from that. However.....when I simply focused on PIA and trying to accelerate well past impact there was a quick upgrade in both feel and results. I forgot how satisfying that feel of power and control is!

Lag has been very complimentary about my transition and entry but I’ve always struggled with having the strength to deal with that through/after impact. I’m committed to getting that sorted out once and for all.

I won’t go into details about my sabbatical from practice and/or playing but if I mention that I just completed my 7th round of chemo you’ll have a pretty good idea of what’s been happening. ;) I’ve lost considerable strength and stamina but I’m looking to my ABS work as a strengthening program of sorts plus I get the added benefits of being able to do most of the work at home and the swing improvement payoff! Expect to see more questions, thoughts, and videos from robbo. :D

Robbo

Rob, take heart and keep your end goal in mind. Six years ago I was in your shoes. Two surgeries, six rounds of chemo followed by 25 days of radiation, and then six more chemo cocktails. About 3 months afterwards, on the anniversary of my first surgery, I made a point of walking 18 holes. It wasn't pretty, and I barely finished but it was a hugely important and symbolic day -- a mixture of victory and defiance. I think you'll know what I mean.

Family always comes first, but there's something about our singular passion for golf that creates the most vibrant and visceral images for us to hang our hats on. On our worst days, when we don't even feel like getting out of our chair, we can close our eyes and smell the grass, feel the warm sunshine and a soft breeze, see the blue sky above and the flag on the green as we take dead aim...

If you're able to go out and hit golf balls now then I'd say you're well on the way to victory and I commend you for it. I could only manage a few short putting sessions. If I could give you one piece of advice -- and I know you didn't ask for it -- I'd say to try everyday to be grateful. I know its so much easier to just feel sorry for ourselves, to say, "Why me?" But I'm sure that as you do your treatments if you'll take a moment and look around you'll see folks much worse off than you. People that will never get to tee it up again -- in golf or life.

So be grateful, and know that this unfortunate season will soon end, to be followed by many, many happy ones. Best of luck to you.
20 Mule Team

Postby robbo » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:55 am

20 M T - first of all congratulations on your recovery! I greatly appreciate the perspective of one who's "been there" and your story is very encouraging.

I realized early on that the mental side of this battle is significant and that includes attitude and outlook. The physical side of things are what they are and are a bit more out of our hands but we do have some control over the mental side. You're spot on regarding the need to be grateful and stay positive. The infusion center is indeed a bit of a depressing venue and you're very right about so many others who are dealing with a "tougher hand". I've been pretty good at keeping the pity-party at bay and regardless of what happens I'm very grateful for the quality of life I've had. I'm quite fortunate, especially when compared to so many other folks.

I actually played in a 2 day tournament a week after my 8th and hopefully final chemo infusion. I hadn't played a round in about 6 months and had only hit a few buckets in that time. On the first hole I drove it under the lip of a bunker and started with an 8 .....not quite how I envisioned my "comeback" ! I made another 8 at some point and finished with a smooth 86 but managed to follow it up with a 73 (one of the lower day 2 rounds in the event). Rest assured I enjoyed that 86 just as much as the 73!! I found myself taking in so much more of my surroundings during the round....the trees, the sky, the birds, the lakes, etc. I ALWAYS enjoy my golf but this was different. Perspective provides such a powerful lens through which we look.

Congrats also on walking that first 18 holes again. That's certainly on my list of to-do's. Radiation started a few days ago so I don't know what will happen with my golf during the next 6 weeks. I'm hoping I can power through it and at least keep a regular practice/drilling regimen in place. We'll see.

Thanks again for your insight. Continued good health 20!

robbo
robbo

Postby k2baloo » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:32 pm

Thank you for sharing your stories.

I wish you both the best of health and golf moving forward!
k2baloo

Postby LesMurray » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:28 pm

20 M.T & Robbo. I have a friend who also took on the cancer demon and won that fight. Interesting when he talks about it he doesn't give Cancer any quarter in his thoughts. He is over it mentally - no chance for any of those negative thoughts to enter his thinking or mindset. He doesn't even like it when people ask how he is doing because in his mind everyone thinks of him still having cancer.

Given that mindset, I will just say that you two have this licked and are moving on to better things. Keep charging forward.
LesMurray

Postby 20 Mule Team » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:18 pm

LesMurray wrote:20 M.T & Robbo. I have a friend who also took on the cancer demon and won that fight. Interesting when he talks about it he doesn't give Cancer any quarter in his thoughts. He is over it mentally - no chance for any of those negative thoughts to enter his thinking or mindset. He doesn't even like it when people ask how he is doing because in his mind everyone thinks of him still having cancer.

Given that mindset, I will just say that you two have this licked and are moving on to better things. Keep charging forward.

Life -- like golf -- is mostly mental.

When life gives you a bad lie, just be glad its not unplayable.
20 Mule Team

Postby lagpressure » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:38 am

20 Mule Team wrote:
When life gives you a bad lie, just be glad its not unplayable.

th.jpg
th.jpg (4.49 KiB) Viewed 571 times
lagpressure
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Public Forum- Concepts in Advanced Ball Striking